Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota CEO Akio Toyoda says Tesla has a fake recipe, Toyota's is real

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-20 | 05:38 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Default Toyota CEO Akio Toyoda says Tesla has a fake recipe, Toyota's is real

Whoooboy this is not going to age well.

During an online conference following Toyota’s latest financial results, CEO Akio Toyoda said about Tesla

Tesla says that their recipe will be the standard in the future, but what Toyota has is a real kitchen and a real chef. We are losing when it comes to the share price, but when it comes to products, we have a full menu that will be chosen by customers.

The CEO continues with the cooking analogy:
They aren’t really making something that’s real, people are just buying the recipe. We have the kitchen and chef, and we make real food.

Tesla is currently valued by the market at over $400 billion while Toyota is worth just over $200 billion. In 2010, Toyota invested $50 million in Tesla and they brokered a heavily discounted sale of the Nummi factory, which is now Tesla’s Fremont factory.
The automaker sold its stake in Tesla for a good profit in 2017, but it was still only a fraction of what it would be worth today.

source
Old 11-06-20 | 05:40 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

I think he implied that Teslas are kit cars and not real cars
Old 11-06-20 | 05:56 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

With a foot in the mouth statement like this it does make it more clear why Toyota is stuck in the mud their CEO should worry about his own languishing product line.
Old 11-06-20 | 06:04 PM
mbarron37
Advanced

Dummies like this are why Blockbuster, Polaroid and others no longer exist. It’s only fake if you believe it’s fake. Customer preferences drive what companies should design and build. Toyota and Lexus do bios great vehicles, but they are painfully slow to change direction.
Old 11-06-20 | 06:14 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Toyota Motor Corp has chosen to literally bypass lithium ion batteries first pioneered by Sony in 1991.
Instead TMC has chosen to develop solid state battery technology, combined with Japan's exploration of rare earth metals beneath the Japanese ocean, as well as Japanese mining of rare earth metals in both Malaysia and Australia.

For electrification to reach the next step in mass production, a combination of battery technology breakthrough, as well as rare earth metals mining breakthrough is needed.

Current lithium ion technology and rare earth metal supplies are both very limited.
Old 11-06-20 | 07:51 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Toyota may keep working on some perfect 'recipe' but meanwhile tesla's "mcdonalds" of EVs is raking it in.
Old 11-06-20 | 07:58 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

I don't think Musk would like that characterization. If I was on Twitter I would tweet that.
Old 11-06-20 | 08:08 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
CL Folding 25,000

Originally Posted by mbarron37
Dummies like this are why Blockbuster, Polaroid and others no longer exist.
This exactly. Currently happening in the chip sector too. Intel had the market cornered, meanwhile AMD stayed the course, and came out with outstanding product, have buzz, and are stealing contracts (lol, exactly what Tesla is doing). I hate when great companies start doing crap like this. They thought things were going well a few years ago, now they are desperate to catch up and it shows with this statement and overall average lineup throughout.
Old 11-06-20 | 08:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

For the most part, I have to agree with Toyoda. Though they are not among my personal favorites, at least his company builds reliable products. One can purchase or lease a Toyota product, ICE, hybrid, or BEV, with a reasonably good prospect of not having to face this:

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-06-20 at 08:58 PM.
Old 11-06-20 | 09:01 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I have to agree with Toyoda. At least his company doesn't build products that start to fall apart almost overnight. One can purchase or lease a Toyota product, ICE, hybrid, or BEV, with a reasonably good prospect of not having to face this:
Toyota just recalled 3.4 million cars and counting, people in glass houses. Plus most Toyota's are boring and slow with terrible infotainment systems, I used to love the company but now I have little interest in anything they make outside of their body on frame vehicles. I frequently pick up parts at a local dealer so I've checked out most if not all the models, they leave me cold. Not terrible, not great. Forgettable.

Also, even with Tesla's quality problems they still can't make them fast enough. People WANT a Tesla, people buy a Toyota because, well I guess and it's apparently reliable plus their old one is great.
Old 11-06-20 | 09:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Toyota just recalled 3.4 million cars and counting, people in glass houses. Plus most Toyota's are boring and slow with terrible infotainment systems, I used to love the company but now I have little interest in anything they make outside of their body on frame vehicles. I frequently pick up parts at a local dealer so I've checked out most if not all the models, they leave me cold. Not terrible, not great. Forgettable.

Also, even with Tesla's quality problems they still can't make them fast enough. People WANT a Tesla, people buy a Toyota because, well I guess and it's apparently reliable plus their old one is great.

I agree that Toyota build-quality is no longer what it was in the 80s and 90s, but virtually all reliability rankings still put it many ranks higher than Tesla in that regard.
Old 11-06-20 | 09:36 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I agree that Toyota build-quality is no longer what it was in the 80s and 90s, but virtually all reliability rankings still put it many ranks higher than Tesla in that regard.
Pretty sure everyone that buys a Tesla knows this. If a Tesla was exactly like a Toyota Camry but less reliable then sure not many would choose a Tesla. Why can't I buy a Toyota that has all the tech of a Tesla but with Toyota reliability? Does Toyota really think I'll cross shop a Mirai and Model 3? I can see people cross shopping the RAV4 Prime and Model Y but try finding a Prime, nearly impossible.

So Mr. Toyoda, you say you have the recipe when do you plan on using it?
Old 11-06-20 | 09:55 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

What a dumb thing to say, Toyota need ls to step up. As much I love the Lexus brand, Tesla is pretty much innovating quicker.
Old 11-06-20 | 10:42 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
I can see people cross shopping the RAV4 Prime and Model Y but try finding a Prime, nearly impossible.

So Mr. Toyoda, you say you have the recipe when do you plan on using it?
It's not just the tech, but also about mining more rare earth metals - without the need to purchase rare earths from the Chinese.

This will take time, and without it, there is no electrification.
Old 11-06-20 | 11:02 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Yes I'm sure the EV's Lexus sells in China use neodymium not sourced from China.

Quick Reply: Toyota CEO Akio Toyoda says Tesla has a fake recipe, Toyota's is real