Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW iX (Was iNext Concept)

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-20, 10:36 AM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts
Default BMW iX (Was iNext Concept)

Coming in 2022 with 500 horsepower and 300-mile range

It has been two years since we got our first look at BMW's new, electric-only crossover, then called the iNext. It featured a unique shape and bold styling designed specifically for an EV platform. Now we get a look at the nearly finished product, the 2022 BMW iX. We say nearly finished because the company has some fine-tuning to do and some specifications to finalize. But otherwise, this is what will be showing up on dealer lots in the first half of 2022.

The design is certainly a bit toned down from the concept, but the basic design has survived mostly intact. It has a passive pair of kidneys for the grille, ultra-slim headlights and taillights (the slimmest ever fitted to a BMW), and a unique profile featuring a short nose, long, sleek windshield, and a long cabin that almost sticks out over the ends of the car. The design is quite aerodynamic, not just because of the overall shape but also the flat underside and active shutters. The Cd is a slick 0.25. Weight hasn't been given, but considering the iX's aluminum and carbon fiber space frame, it shouldn't be too portly.
ADVERTISEMENTThe exterior details are nifty, too. The grille is not so much a grille, and almost more of a windshield for the car's sensor array. The cameras, radar and other sensors are hidden behind it, and the grille features heater and washer elements to keep it clean in all driving conditions. The door handles are all flush fit, the doors themselves have no window frames, and the badges front and rear hide functional parts. The front badge pops open to reveal the washer fluid filler, which is needed because the hood doesn't open. Anything under the hood is for BMW techs only. The rear badge hides the washer sprayer for the rear camera.

The interior is also still concept-worthy. The showpiece is the floating curved display that features two embedded screens. In front of the driver is a 12.3-inch instrument panel, and to the right is a 14.9-inch infotainment screen. The screens will receive inputs from touch, an iDrive controller or via voice. BMW has gone to lengths to hide many things such as the speakers, and has carefully integrated air vents in order to provide a simple, minimalist interior. The steering wheel is unique with a hexagonal shape. The roof is glass with an electrochromic shade like what you can get in McLarens. The rear bench seat has been designed to evoke a lounge, with the edges blending into the doors.

Powering the iX will be a pair of electric motors making an estimated 500 horsepower, with the front motor driving the front wheels and the rear motor driving the back. BMW says the iX will be able to go from 0 to 62 mph in under 5 seconds. An under-floor battery supplies energy to the motors. BMW hasn't given an exact capacity, but it estimates that it should go 300 miles on a charge on the EPA test cycle. It can charge quickly, with a rate of 200 kW on a DC fast charger, which means an 80% charge can be obtained, starting from 10%, in under 40 minutes. It will also be possible to get 75 miles in just 10 minutes. The Level 2 charger charges at 11 kW, and a full charge will take about 11 hours on that type of charger. This powertrain is part of a modular EV platform that will underpin other future BMWs.

Production of the iX begins in the second half of 2021. The crossover will reach U.S. dealers in the first half of 2022. Pricing has not yet been announced.
Source
Old 11-11-20, 10:37 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,511 Likes on 1,651 Posts

grill looks awful as usual but the rest of it, if they pull it off, wow!
Old 11-11-20, 10:44 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,060 Likes on 2,572 Posts

Beaver grille turned up to 11.
Old 11-11-20, 10:52 AM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

lol, and people were making fun of the two-spoke Genesis steering wheel.

I'm sure it'll drive fine, but how this car looks and what it stands for represents everything wrong with modern BMW.
Old 11-11-20, 11:25 AM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
lol, and people were making fun of the two-spoke Genesis steering wheel.

I'm sure it'll drive fine, but how this car looks and what it stands for represents everything wrong with modern BMW.
Styling and design are subjective though. Enthusiasts may agree with this, but the overwhelming majority are not enthusiasts. It seems to check the boxes the general public wants. Should do well for them

b
  • BMW Badge
  • EV
  • Tech laden
  • Crossover body
Old 11-11-20, 11:57 AM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Styling and design are subjective though. Enthusiasts may agree with this, but the overwhelming majority are not enthusiasts. It seems to check the boxes the general public wants. Should do well for them

b
  • BMW Badge
  • EV
  • Tech laden
  • Crossover body
Now remove the BMW badge, and what does it do to stand out from the crowd?
Old 11-11-20, 12:19 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,060 Likes on 2,572 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
Now remove the BMW badge, and what does it do to stand out from the crowd?
Careful what you ask for.

BMW iX (Was iNext Concept)-ondaxpn.jpg
Old 11-11-20, 12:27 PM
babaijebu
Intermediate

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

BMW iGrill
Old 11-11-20, 12:34 PM
Lend0
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Another minimalist/meme interior. If I wanted to feel like I was poor and in a communist country I'd move to Russia.

**yawn**
Old 11-11-20, 12:56 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Careful what you ask for.
Remove the line down the grille, and I challenge anyone to make the BMW connection.

Old 11-11-20, 01:17 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

God that grille, why? Other than that I like it. I know the Lexus grille is polarizing even though I always liked it but this isn’t polarizing as it doesn’t seem like anyone really likes it.
Old 11-11-20, 01:31 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

BMW has lost their way completely - brand will be dead in 10yrs.

Utter garbage styling and tech is way behind Tesla....

Its all negative comments on this new reveal across all their social media.

You would think they learned their lesson after i3 and i8 failures.
Old 11-11-20, 01:40 PM
rosskoss
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I usually like BMW design - they have good proportions and well-integrated, visually-interesting details. (like M4)

But this is no good. Exterior design looks like generic CUV (think Nissan Rogue or Acura RDX) with giant beaver grill. I do however like that character line that runs along the side (although it reminds me a a little of MB)

Last edited by rosskoss; 11-11-20 at 02:20 PM.
Old 11-11-20, 01:52 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Is this X3 or X5 sized? If X3 sized, i wonder if they'll try to compete on price with the Model Y.
Old 11-11-20, 02:05 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by ABC
Is this X3 or X5 sized? If X3 sized, i wonder if they'll try to compete on price with the Model Y.
I saw on a Car Wow overview that it's X5 size but no third row seats.

Quick Reply: BMW iX (Was iNext Concept)