Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mazda previews straight-six

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-20, 10:36 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 171 Likes on 102 Posts

Not a fan of Mazda, and worried about this new partnership. I spent weeks in a recent 6 rental and was disappointed all around. The childish "zoom zoom" moniker is only one year dead, but the thinking there tells the real story. I've always thought, if the brand is really as good as all the journalist write, why aren't there more on the road?
Old 11-14-20, 12:16 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 729 Likes on 457 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Sure it does. I've test driven every model and i own a Mazda 3. The turbo ones are decent but none can compare to the German rivals in the sports sedan segment. We will see but the slowest BMW 3 (330) series runs rings around the fastest Mazdas.
my modified Miata Club 6MT is the simplest yet best handling car and most fun to drive car I have. Its not all about straight line speed. Straight line speed is initially all well and good but fast corners are where the action is. You don’t need to slow down for corners in a Miata.
Old 11-14-20, 07:27 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
my modified Miata Club 6MT is the simplest yet best handling car and most fun to drive car I have. Its not all about straight line speed. Straight line speed is initially all well and good but fast corners are where the action is. You don’t need to slow down for corners in a Miata.
This discussion was centered around the powertrain only. I think everyone acknowledges Mazda have great chassis and are typically near the top in terms of handling.
Old 11-14-20, 07:48 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Mazda had the slogan "zoom zoom" for a very long time yet they never had any really quick cars or high hp cars, they never even had hardcore handling cars that made up for the lack of power, they dropped most of their V6's, everything aside from the Miata was FWD or with a so so awd option in CUV's, they never really added much excitement or really pushed the performance envelope despite them trying to sell the "zoom, zoom" image. Their vehicles mostly looked nice, had nice interiors but nothing class leading or lustful, they had decent reliability, and mediocre resale, their nicest sedan, the pricey Mazda 6 for a while only had a 200ish hp 4 cylinder and 0-60 over 7 sec until recently while Honda's, Toyota's, even Hyundai's/KIA's had V6's with 250hp+ and 0-60 well under 7 sec, under 6 seconds in some cases and they had better resale/reliability. None of that is going to translate into much excitement for Mazda or strong sales. Mazda in the past had much nicer, sportier offerings while not trying to sell the "zoom zoom image" with RX-7's, 929's, Millenia's, 3 rotor Cosmo's in some markets, V6's, etc.

Let's hope they don't hold back on this Inline 6 and really give a RWD 6 some power/performance along with a beautiful design, they certainly have beautiful concepts. I don't know why they are wasting the RWD platform on a CUV though, it is not that important to CUV buyers, a RX-7, GT coupe, or RWD sedan above a 6 would be a much better use for the platform and engine.

It is pretty sad that most future RWD Lexus vehicles seem to be hedging their bets on this Mazda RWD platform and engine.
Old 11-14-20, 08:16 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Not a fan of Mazda, and worried about this new partnership. I spent weeks in a recent 6 rental and was disappointed all around. The childish "zoom zoom" moniker is only one year dead, but the thinking there tells the real story. I've always thought, if the brand is really as good as all the journalist write, why aren't there more on the road?
Because product itself is not good enough to bring in sales. I think Camry is the worst car in it's class in every criteria possible yet it's the best seller.
Old 11-14-20, 08:30 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by rosskoss
Man...tough crowd over here
I agree, but at the same time, I have to be cautiously optimistic at best. This goes for ANYTHING new, not just Mazda's hybrid inline-six RWD platform and 8-speed transmission. That said, some are pretty hyper-critical to the point where I can't even take their opinions seriously.

The new powertrain/platform will likely debut on a CX-5 or CX-9 first, for the sole reason that crossovers, CUVs and SUVs sell.
Old 11-14-20, 08:39 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by sm1ke
I agree, but at the same time, I have to be cautiously optimistic at best. This goes for ANYTHING new, not just Mazda's hybrid inline-six RWD platform and 8-speed transmission. That said, some are pretty hyper-critical to the point where I can't even take their opinions seriously.

The new powertrain/platform will likely debut on a CX-5 or CX-9 first, for the sole reason that crossovers, CUVs and SUVs sell.
If people on here are referring to Mazda’s reluctance to offer their new engines in NA. It’s nothing new for other manufacturers as well. Mercedes did not bring their new engines to NA until just recently with their higher end MB s class. Toyota leaves their Corolla hybrid+ dynamic force + lithium batteries for Europe and Japan while giving Americans the downgrade version. Corolla even has hybrid awd. . It’s all about cost to the consumer and North America likes cheap prices. Mazda’s skew on the pricer size, most come from Japan so theres that too. People should just be happy Mazda is not out of business
Old 11-14-20, 09:42 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by sm1ke
I'm doubtful that a turbo 3 will break into the 5s. The current turbo Mazda6 is FWD and has a curb weight of 3500 lbs, and a 0-60 of 6.4s. The non-turbo 6 (186 hp/tq) has a 0-60 of 7.2s.

The current AWD Mazda3 has a curb weight of 3200 lbs (in hatchback form) and the same engine as the non-turbo 6. It also does 0-60 in 7.2s (even though it is 300 lbs lighter). I'm going to guess that a turbo Mazda3 would clock a 0-60 time of about 6.1s.

Anyway, this thread is about the inline-six, not the 4cyl turbo.
Looks like I was wrong about my 6.1s estimation for the 2.5T Mazda3. Pulled a 5.75 in this run.

Copied from the video description and comments:
852 miles on odometer
Shell V-Power 93 Octane
Sport Mode - ON
Automatic Mode - No Paddle Shifting
Traction Control - OFF
Ambient Temperature: 75°F
Humidity: 80%
Gas Tank: 50%

Elevation at 135 ft.
Waylens Data Camera
Old 11-14-20, 01:35 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 486 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
The Miata is an excellent affordable roadster, no question about it- but it's obvious why few other manufacturers attempt to make one to compete with it. The sales numbers tell the whole story. For every Miata that Mazda sells, Ford sells 10 Mustangs. It's a niche within a niche.
I haven't followed coupes since the early 1980's.
Interesting to hear that Mustangs outsell Miatas ten to one.
The big one has the straight line speed, while the small one has the agility.
However, why then hasn't Toyota put more effort into their Supra to capitalize on such sales?
Maybe because Mustangs are based on V8's, and Toyota's V8's are much too expensive to be used in Supras?

Back to the in-line six topic.
I might be a little worried their all new in-line sixes have a few glitches to be ironed out?
At this stage in time, would it not be better to refine a V6, rather than develop an all new in-line six which has not been refined, especially for a Lexus vehicle?
Old 11-14-20, 03:15 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Excited to see this new inline 6 motor and hopefully they can bring out a nice manual coupe to pair it with.

If Lexus can put this engine in all-new future IS with turbo power - that would be game changer.
Old 06-18-21, 01:01 AM
gor134
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a3...rive-platform/

Some more news
Old 06-18-21, 09:13 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Sounds more like we are getting a RWD I6 sedan from Mazda from this latest article.
Old 06-18-21, 05:06 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
Sounds more like we are getting a RWD I6 sedan from Mazda from this latest article.
Outside of Motor Trend's own speculation, there's nothing in the article to suggest that.
Old 06-19-21, 08:10 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Motorola
Outside of Motor Trend's own speculation, there's nothing in the article to suggest that.
It's Road and Track, a major auto publication, and they are predicting a RWD I6 Mazda 6 replacement too, got confirmation from Mazda execs this platform/engine will spawn multiple vehicles. They have a lot more insider info then you or I and I doubt they would talk about it if there was not a very likely chance it was going to happen. There is no way Mazda is going to go through all the trouble of making a RWD platform/I6 to only put in a CUV where almost no buyers care if it is RWD or not and FWD/RWD proportions don't really matter in those types of vehicles.
Old 11-16-21, 08:42 AM
gor134
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure if this is the right thread but the Mazda CX-60 Large Platform vehicle leaked. Definitely can tell it's RWD-based proportions from the large dash-to-axle ratio.

Quick Reply: Mazda previews straight-six