Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mazda previews straight-six

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-20, 08:00 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Mazda previews straight-six

Affirms upcoming crossover with Toyota hybrid system

And the six will work in a rear-wheel-drive platform

Buried in Mazda's generally bleak second-quarter earnings report were a few juicy nuggets of news. Though the company had an operating loss of $502 million and sales are down 21 percent in part due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Hiroshima-based firm has big plans for the future. Enthusiasts and environmentalists alike should take note.

Firstly, Mazda showed an image of its upcoming straight-six engine. Essentially, it's the SkyActiv four that powers all of Mazda's current lineup, but with two additional cylinders. Unsurprisingly, the company says that it can be engineered to fit any of the current SkyActiv guises — the standard octane-variable gasoline powered G, the diesel D, and the sparkless-ignition X. The big six will pair with a new eight-speed automatic and can be combined with either a plug-in or 48-volt mild hybrid system, promising big power and efficiency.

Reassuringly, Mazda says it's committed to offering this six in a rear-wheel-drive platform, which will underpin the 6 sedan's successor, as well as a midsize SUV. Both the platform and powertrain are said to be compatible with all-wheel-drive layouts as well.

Which brings us to the second bit of news. Mazda also pictured a four-cylinder engine with hybrid technology. The financial report confirmed that Mazda will employ Toyota's wildly successful hybrid system in an upcoming SUV. It's not that Mazda is taking advantage of Toyota's free access to all its hybrid patents until 2030. Mazda and Toyota have a capital tie-up and are nearing completion on a $2.3 billion joint-venture factory in Alabama with a 300,000-vehicle annual capacity. According to the Huntsville Business Journal, the firms have hired 750 employees so far, with room for 3,250 more.

In return, Mazda will launch a European compact based on Toyota's Yaris Hybrid. The move is necessary for Mazda, which has lagged behind in electrification and in meeting the fleet emissions requirements in the European market. In return, by 2022, Mazda may even share the inline-six engine with Toyota and Lexus.

While the hybrid crossover and compliance with EU rules will no doubt help the environment, we not-so-secretly hope that these strategies will keep Mazda profitable enough to bring that straight-six, rear-drive sports sedan to market.
Source
Old 11-13-20, 08:41 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mazda - Lexus RWD lineup savior.

If I posted this ten-fifteen years ago you would think it's April 1st today.
Old 11-13-20, 09:00 AM
rosskoss
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I honestly think that Mazdas today are some of the best products being made out there. They absolutely nail the interior design and quality, fit and finish, ergonomics, driving performance and handling, engine-refinement etc (although I'm not big fan of CX9). While I love the exterior designs for the MX5 and the Mazda6, I think the rest could use some improvement but that's about the only critique I have.

It's a pity that the market is so brand-focused and people really don't do their own research. This is really an outstanding brand in every way - would hate to see this brand go away with all these falling sales.

Last edited by rosskoss; 11-13-20 at 09:07 AM.
Old 11-13-20, 09:05 AM
Blaze876
Instructor

Received 109 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by rosskoss
I honestly think that Mazdas today are some of the best products being made out there. They absolutely nail the interior design and quality, fit and finish, ergonomics, driving performance and handling, engine-refinement etc (although I'm not big fan of CX9). While I love the exterior designs for the MX5 and the Mazda6, I think the rest could use some improvement.

It's a pity that the market is so brand-focused and people really don't do their own research. This is really an outstanding brand in every way - would hate to see this brand go away with all these falling sales.
Agreed. All their models are pretty much atleast on par or better than their competitors when they debut.
Old 11-13-20, 09:34 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Mazda's are known for fuel efficiency Mazda's are all slooow. Not really excited about their engine technology being in a Lexus sports sedan.
Old 11-13-20, 09:49 AM
rosskoss
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a blanket statement that doesn't make much sense
Old 11-13-20, 10:00 AM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

I honestly think that Mazdas today are some of the best products being made out there. They absolutely nail the interior design and quality, fit and finish, ergonomics, driving performance and handling, engine-refinement etc (although I'm not big fan of CX9). While I love the exterior designs for the MX5 and the Mazda6, I think the rest could use some improvement but that's about the only critique I have.

I view Mazda as a leader in fuel efficiency and related technologies. I also respect their overall strategy/vision as they will chase real-world efficiency gains even if they aren't reflected well in testing like EPA mpg.

It's too bad they don't have a high-performance Mazda 3 hatch, as I'd certainly consider it versus the Golf R.
Old 11-13-20, 10:01 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

That's a blanket statement that doesn't make much sense
Sure it does. I've test driven every model and i own a Mazda 3. The turbo ones are decent but none can compare to the German rivals in the sports sedan segment. We will see but the slowest BMW 3 (330) series runs rings around the fastest Mazdas.
Old 11-13-20, 10:03 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Mazda's are known for fuel efficiency Mazda's are all slooow. Not really excited about their engine technology being in a Lexus sports sedan.
Guess it's a good thing you aren't interested in either brand.

I'll be watching and waiting to see how things play out. I've been really happy with my CX-9.

EDIT: Nevermind, I see you own a 3.
Old 11-13-20, 10:09 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sm1ke

I'll be watching and waiting to see how things play out. I've been really happy with my CX-9.

I considered getting a CX-5 turbo too but I'm more interested in the Rav4 Prime or Model Y. Mazda's handle great and have wonderful interiors but i always felt the engines were lacking. I was able to get many different models for test drives because my dealership gives out loaners when i get it serviced there. They are also very willing to do test drives too. BTW, if i ever go back to ICE, it would be for a ND Miata...
Old 11-13-20, 10:32 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Sure it does. I've test driven every model and i own a Mazda 3. The turbo ones are decent but none can compare to the German rivals in the sports sedan segment. We will see but the slowest BMW 3 (330) series runs rings around the fastest Mazdas.
Not really a fair comparison, is it? A brand new base model 330i has an MSRP of $41250 while the top trim Mazda3 comes in at an MSRP of $32450. With an $8800 difference some concessions have to be made.

Originally Posted by EZZ
I considered getting a CX-5 turbo too but I'm more interested in the Rav4 Prime or Model Y. Mazda's handle great and have wonderful interiors but i always felt the engines were lacking. I was able to get many different models for test drives because my dealership gives out loaners when i get it serviced there. They are also very willing to do test drives too. BTW, if i ever go back to ICE, it would be for a ND Miata...
The news suggests they are addressing the current lineup of engines. We don't really have any specs to go off of, which is why I plan to watch and wait before making any judgements.
Old 11-13-20, 10:42 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Not really a fair comparison, is it? A brand new base model 330i has an MSRP of $41250 while the top trim Mazda3 comes in at an MSRP of $32450. With an $8800 difference some concessions have to be made.

The news suggests they are addressing the current lineup of engines. We don't really have any specs to go off of, which is why I plan to watch and wait before making any judgements.
I was just saying that the engine would probably go into a car north of $40k if Lexus decides to use it. Hopefully, they surprise us and gives us a 400hp turbo monster .
Old 11-13-20, 11:12 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

I am happy Toyota has partnered with Mazda.....before COVID, there were lots of talk how the smaller companies would not survive the long haul transition that is occurring in the automotive world. The automotive industry in Japan would suffer if Mazda and Subaru were to fail.....happy Toyota helped out.
Old 11-13-20, 11:17 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I am happy Toyota has partnered with Mazda.....before COVID, there were lots of talk how the smaller companies would not survive the long haul transition that is occurring in the automotive world. The automotive industry in Japan would suffer if Mazda and Subaru were to fail.....happy Toyota helped out.
The way I see it, though, smaller companies are not having problems because they themselves are too small, but because larger corporations are getting too large....and forming semi-monopolies. There are simply too many mergers/acquisitions going on. We need more diversity in the automotive world, not less.

Look what happened to Mazda, for instance, when Ford bought them out....except for a couple of sports cars, the company almost completely lost its identity.....and its trucks and SUVs became rebadged Fords.
Old 11-13-20, 11:23 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The way I see it, though, smaller compares are not having problems because they themselves are too small, but because larger corporations are getting too large....and forming semi-monopolies. There are simply too many mergers/acquisitions going on. We need more diversity in the automotive world, not less.
You don't get it...or have missed what I was saying.....smaller companies cannot transition when the entire automotive landscape is changing, they are just too small....on the other hand...Toyota which is the largest Japanese automaker suffers when the smaller domestic companies fail... For all the anti-Toyota chat many people have on here, Toyota was very very forward thinking when they partnered with the smaller Subaru, Mazda, BMW....this prevented Ford, GM or Hyundai from making these alliances...it also preserved the opportunity for suppliers to stay in business....

the company almost completely lost its identity.....and its trucks and SUVs became rebadged Fords.
Toyota has no interest in becoming Mazda or Subaru...their goal is to keep the Japanese auto industry from contracting.

Look what happened to Mazda, for instance, when Ford bought them out....except for a couple of sports cars, the company almost completely lost its identity.....and its trucks and SUVs became rebadged Fords.
Ford is a pretty crappy company compared to bellwether like Toyota

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 11-13-20 at 11:27 AM.

Quick Reply: Mazda previews straight-six