Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-20 | 07:34 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
CL Folding 25,000

Originally Posted by pbm317
V8's may not be long for this world, but FCA is doing their best to give them the send off that they deserve.
Right! I'm so blown they are able to make and sell so many of these despite all the regulations. A lineup full of V8's.

​​​​​​But I do hate a love hate relationship with them. Living in pretty much central Philly, all I hear day and night are HEMI powered vehicles with exhausts flying up and down the streets trying to beat red lights, racing, or revving for attention. Wildly annoying, but I know within time I'll miss them.
Old 11-18-20 | 11:33 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

I knew a co worker who ended up rolling over his jeep and hitting a tree on a Curvy road in PA. didn't survive... He had 2 little kids and a beautiful wife. evey time I look at these it comes to mind, hopefully they improved the crash ratings too.

Originally Posted by GFerg
Right! I'm so blown they are able to make and sell so many of these despite all the regulations. A lineup full of V8's.

​​​​​​But I do hate a love hate relationship with them. Living in pretty much central Philly, all I hear day and night are HEMI powered vehicles with exhausts flying up and down the streets trying to beat red lights, racing, or revving for attention. Wildly annoying, but I know within time I'll miss them.
Old 11-18-20 | 03:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by UZ214
I knew a co worker who ended up rolling over his jeep and hitting a tree on a Curvy road in PA. didn't survive... He had 2 little kids and a beautiful wife. evey time I look at these it comes to mind, hopefully they improved the crash ratings too.
My condolences to his family....and prayers and good-wishes for them. At the same time, while I'm not against safety-engineering in vehicles by any means, perhaps the most effective feature is between one's two ears............

Old 11-18-20 | 04:38 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

The wrangler is grossly underpowered. However, a 5.7L would have sufficed. I want a 6.4L Option in the Ram 1500. You can get a 6.2L in a GM, so Ram doesn't really compete if someone wants the bigger engine, they HAVE to go to GM.
Old 11-18-20 | 05:29 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Lost me at 'no manual.'

Originally Posted by UZ214
How can you not? It seems that many buy these vehicles that really have no idea.
Old 11-18-20 | 06:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Lost me at 'no manual.'

How can you not? It seems that many buy these vehicles that really have no idea.
Welcome back. Haven't seen you post for quite a while.
Old 11-18-20 | 07:19 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Lost me at 'no manual.'
that's what you write about every car.
Old 11-18-20 | 07:22 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
My condolences to his family....and prayers and good-wishes for them. At the same time, while I'm not against safety-engineering in vehicles by any means, perhaps the most effective feature is between one's two ears............
UZ214 shared details of an event of a co-worker and you guys are judging whether the person killed used their brains or had any idea, without knowing any of the details. Rather harsh. May you never have a bad accident for any 'reason'.

Old 11-18-20 | 08:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
UZ214 shared details of an event of a co-worker and you guys are judging whether the person killed used their brains or had any idea, without knowing any of the details. Rather harsh. May you never have a bad accident for any 'reason'.

With all due respect, that's not quite what I was saying. I agree that particular accident could have been caused by any one of a number of factors beyond a driver's control.....tire blowout, component-failure, black/unseen ice on the road, swerving to avoid an animal, and many other things. My point was, though, that we've become so dependent on electronics to direct our driving that we sometimes forget that, ultimately, eyes and ears still pay a major role, and electronics are not simply going to completely replace it. Google and Tesla are finding that out in their autonomous-driving vehicles.

Now, having said that, I'm not against those safety features by any means. I'm glad my new Encore GX (and the new Trailblazer) is going to have so many of them for such a low price.......a first in GM's marketing, which is usually run by bean-counters.
Old 11-18-20 | 09:30 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

My first reaction was surprise at no manual in a Wrangler, but, on second thought, on this version, maybe it makes sense. FCA may not have a suitable clutch or manual transmission that would handle the torque. The Hellcats don't come with a manual option, either.

As for the Select-Trac, I'm glad to see the Wrangler get it. Should have been done a long time ago. They stuck with the part-time Command-Trac only far too long, IMO.
They do, the TR6060 is used in the manual cats
Old 11-18-20 | 09:32 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GFerg

Have you ever tried one? Pure fury flat out at 150+ is something special that ruins you forever, it won't take long for someone to put a kenne bell or procharger on these and perhaps build the bottom end a little and hit 850whp just like the track hawks. It will be pure comedy to see 10 second wranglers
Old 11-19-20 | 04:54 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
that's what you write about every car.
That doesn't mean he's wrong.

Originally Posted by Striker223
Have you ever tried one? Pure fury flat out at 150+ is something special that ruins you forever, it won't take long for someone to put a kenne bell or procharger on these and perhaps build the bottom end a little and hit 850whp just like the track hawks. It will be pure comedy to see 10 second wranglers
I had a friend a long time ago that had one. It was technically a CJ and not a Wrangler, and I forget if it ran 9s or 10s. it was painted bright pink, and he had to line up about 15 degrees cockeyed, because when the lights tripped and he nailed the throttle, the whole truck rotated slightly before taking off like a shot. Was the funniest damn thing I've ever seen.
Old 11-19-20 | 12:51 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

we didn't know the reason of the crash and I didn't have heart to ask his wife. It was raining at night when It happened. They had a closed casket so we figured it must be bad. It was lifted with big tires. I think they look every nice - diving wise not a big fan. They make too much noise and handle horrible. I guess they are made for pure off-roading. Love the SRT jeep Cherokee though.

With all due respect, that's not quite what I was saying. I agree that particular accident could have been caused by any one of a number of factors beyond a driver's control.....tire blowout, component-failure, black/unseen ice on the road, swerving to avoid an animal, and many other things. My point was, though, that we've become so dependent on electronics to direct our driving that we sometimes forget that, ultimately, eyes and ears still pay a major role, and electronics are not simply going to completely replace it. Google and Tesla are finding that out in their autonomous-driving vehicles.

Now, having said that, I'm not against those safety features by any means. I'm glad my new Encore GX (and the new Trailblazer) is going to have so many of them for such a low price.......a first in GM's marketing, which is usually run by bean-counters.
Old 11-19-20 | 07:43 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by geko29
That doesn't mean he's wrong.

I had a friend a long time ago that had one. It was technically a CJ and not a Wrangler, and I forget if it ran 9s or 10s. it was painted bright pink, and he had to line up about 15 degrees cockeyed, because when the lights tripped and he nailed the throttle, the whole truck rotated slightly before taking off like a shot. Was the funniest damn thing I've ever seen.
That's funny to imagine lol, enough power the live axle needed to be offset. Damn
Old 11-19-20 | 08:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by geko29
Well, I guess we know now what he does for a living.............(just kidding)

https://www.wbir.com/article/news/yo...a-21a32c826560

Quick Reply: 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392