Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mazda claims #1 in CR's car brand reliability rankings

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-20 | 08:15 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sm1ke
Wait, what?

Source

I, for one, hope Mazda capitalizes on this good publicity. I've been very, very happy with my CX-9.
Good for Mazda. Have they ever been #1?

Japan rules the top 3
Old 11-19-20 | 08:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Zoom zoom was good, resonated well with the younger sporty generation. Now they use “Feel Alive”

They already had a lot of sport-oriented customers....without resorting to juvenile terms.

The "Feel Alive" term is a little closer to the 'Kansai Engineering" term formerly used. The "Kansai" term is a Japanese expression for the emotions connected with the satisfaction of a driver with the feel of his or her new vehicle.....something that not only Mazda once excelled in, but also former-generation BMWs before the design-changes. In fact, though it wasn't necessarily a company-used term, Mazda was once known as the "Poor Man's BMW". Nowadays, of course, because of PC, it would "Poor Person's BMW".
Old 11-19-20 | 08:29 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mike728
I disagree, as we "moved" from a CR-V to a CX-5 and couldn't be happier.
happy for ya! My point was i don't think there will be enough movers to move mazda's sales a whole lot.

Originally Posted by Motorola
Not good news for a car [LS] in its third year of production. As if the LS500 didn't have enough issues living up to the LS nameplate already.
Originally Posted by Motorola
It really is shocking. For all its faults, it can't even lean back on the legendary Lexus reliability like the rest of the lineup. First year models tend to be ranked pretty low due to the new tech and powertrains, but it's unthinkable that the LS500 is in its third year with no real quality improvements. CR's ranking of its reliability is an awful 13/100.
How is CR defining 'reliability' among their reader surveys for that 13/100 result, does it include irritation at the infotainment controls which really have NOTHING to do with reliability?
Old 11-19-20 | 08:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
How is CR defining 'reliability' among their reader surveys for that 13/100 result, does it include irritation at the infotainment controls which really have NOTHING to do with reliability?
With all due respect, it may (?) affect reliability if the Lexus mouse-controls don't work like they are supposed to, or if a bumpy road makes it difficult to use them in a stable manner.....something that I first mentioned years ago.
Old 11-19-20 | 08:37 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
They already had a lot of sport-oriented customers....without resorting to juvenile terms.

The "Feel Alive" term is a little closer to the 'Kansai Engineering" term formerly used. The "Kansai" term is a Japanese expression for the emotions connected with the satisfaction of a driver with the feel of his or her new vehicle.....something that not only Mazda once excelled in, but also former-generation BMWs before the design-changes. In fact, though it wasn't necessarily a company-used term, Mazda was once known as the "Poor Man's BMW". Nowadays, of course, because of PC, it would "Poor Person's BMW".

I don’t think it’s juvenile. It was brilliant marketing. Iconic.
Old 11-19-20 | 08:39 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
happy for ya! My point was i don't think there will be enough movers to move mazda's sales a whole lot. ...
Appreciate the emotion!

Enough movers, for what? Mazda is not trying to be Honda, or Toyota. Maybe you haven't visited a Mazda dealer in awhile?
Old 11-19-20 | 08:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

OK.....I'll respect your view (part of it is, of course, subjective), although I don't see where it brought in a lot of sales.

I myself was a Mazda customer for over a dozen years (owned three new ones) before switching to Toyota and Saturn in the mid-1990s.
Old 11-19-20 | 08:46 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
OK.....I'll respect your view (part of it is, of course, subjective), although I don't see where it brought in a lot of sales.

I myself was a Mazda customer for over a dozen years (owned three new ones) before switching to Toyota and Saturn in the mid-1990s.
I dunno. Maybe we should look at the sales. I truly don’t know if they sold better.
Old 11-19-20 | 08:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I dunno. Maybe we should look at the sales. I truly don’t know if they sold better.
Mazda itself expanded after Ford's takeover....and they started marketing more vehicles (Navajo, Tribute, MX-3, MX-6, etc.....) several of which were Ford-based. That alone accounted for more sales, not simply a company slogan-change.
Old 11-19-20 | 09:00 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Appreciate the emotion!

Enough movers, for what? Mazda is not trying to be Honda, or Toyota. Maybe you haven't visited a Mazda dealer in awhile?
I have come to appreciate Mazda over the last year or so. I totally get the brand now I saw that they have struggled during the pandemic and I’m happy Toyota has a few partnerships with them. Would be sad to see Mazda exit the USA market.
Old 11-19-20 | 09:32 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Appreciate the emotion!
sorry if it came across the wrong way, i'm genuinely happy for you, the cx5 seems like an EXCELLENT vehicle.

Understood but i'm sure they want to increase sales. As far as visiting mazda dealers, i haven't been to ANY dealer in over a year. I don't go to my own car dealer because they come to me with the loaner.

Old 11-20-20 | 02:44 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Oh come on we can play this game all night long

Lexus sales volume is less than one half of Mazda's so why Lexus can't retain number one spot with only 750k units sold globally? Why Toyota can't develop six cylinder turbo so they are waiting on small scale manufacturer to share one with them? And so on .. This is just for fun don't take it seriously.
Old 11-20-20 | 05:39 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

I agree. The Zoom Zoom campaign is iconic for Mazda. The new one Feel Alive = zzzzz in comparison.
Old 11-20-20 | 06:00 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Good for Mazda. Have they ever been #1?

Japan rules the top 3
Nope, never been first before. I don't think they ever broke top 3 until last year, when they got #2.
Old 11-20-20 | 07:18 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I agree. The Zoom Zoom campaign is iconic for Mazda. The new one Feel Alive = zzzzz in comparison.
Companies pay millions upon millions upon millions to get branding down right....Ultimate Driving Machine (now experience), The Best Or Nothing...Quality Is Job 1 or Built Ford Tough...

Zoom zoom....

Quick Reply: Mazda claims #1 in CR's car brand reliability rankings