Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mazda claims #1 in CR's car brand reliability rankings

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-20 | 09:21 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Default Mazda claims #1 in CR's car brand reliability rankings

Wait, what?

Mazda, Toyota, and Lexus continue to build vehicles that place the automakers at the top of our annual auto reliability brand rankings year in and year out. This year they're joined in the top 5 by Buick and Honda, brands that saw a significant improvement in their ranking.

Source

I, for one, hope Mazda capitalizes on this good publicity. I've been very, very happy with my CX-9.
Old 11-19-20 | 10:48 AM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Jumps on the list were wild this year. Buick up 14 ranks, Honda up 7 ranks, Lincoln dropping 11 ranks, and so on. CR tends to be a bit more consistent year-to-year, but I guess they have less data to pull from this year due to COVID hammering new car sales. Brands like Genesis, Jaguar, and Alfa aren't even on the list due to insufficient volume for data.
Old 11-19-20 | 11:00 AM
Hoovey689

Honda, Lexus, Toyota, don't surprise me, but good for Mazda.
Old 11-19-20 | 11:17 AM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Honda, Lexus, Toyota, don't surprise me, but good for Mazda.
Honda was quite surprising because they've always been mid-pack or even lower in CR and other rankings these past 5 or so years. Their CEO seems to have sorted things out ever since this event last year:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN1YD2DP
Old 11-19-20 | 11:29 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Motorola
Jumps on the list were wild this year. Buick up 14 ranks,
Just wait....someone will probably claim that the reason Buick had such a vast improvement was that all of the old people driving them stayed at home most of the year because of COV-ID, and never took them to a repair shop LOL.
Old 11-19-20 | 11:36 AM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
people driving them stayed at home most of the year because of COV-ID, and never took them to a repair shop LOL.
That's a good point actually. How many people were actually able to drive their new cars this year to witness anything go wrong on them in light of COVID closings? Not many, I bet.

The list for this year should be taken with a huge grain of salt.
Old 11-19-20 | 11:39 AM
HOMER350
Racer

Buick?? Huh.
Old 11-19-20 | 12:04 PM
sm1ke
Racer

That's a good point actually. How many people were actually able to drive their new cars this year to witness anything go wrong on them in light of COVID closings? Not many, I bet.

The list for this year should be taken with a huge grain of salt.
But this would be true for all car brands, wouldn't it? All manufacturers would be affected to the same degree by COVID restrictions/lockdowns.
Old 11-19-20 | 12:09 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sm1ke
But this would be true for all car brands, wouldn't it? All manufacturers would be affected to the same degree by COVID restrictions/lockdowns.
Exactly. But as you can see from all the brands that weren't included this year, the sample size is smaller, because less cars driven = less problems reported. Smaller sample size = less reliable data. And it reflects how wildly the rankings fluctuated this year.
Old 11-19-20 | 12:18 PM
F1Driver
Advanced

So, the moral of the story is whose data can we trust with respect to reliability???
Old 11-19-20 | 12:18 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sm1ke
I do not believe so. If you break down culture and demographics, younger people have been out and about much more during the pandemic than older people. The feeling of resilience, the need to be social, higher energy/hormone levels, the tendency to rebel from orders, etc. This is evident on the evening news alone if you observe the faces behind the scenes.

But even before the pandemic, those owning Buicks tend to drive less to begin with.
Old 11-19-20 | 12:19 PM
sm1ke
Racer

Exactly. But as you can see from all the brands that weren't included this year, the sample size is smaller, because less cars driven = less problems reported. Smaller sample size = less reliable data. And it reflects how wildly the rankings fluctuated this year.
Thanks, I understand what you mean.

Some publications have reported that Buick's jump is due to minimal changes in their smaller lineup, and Lincoln's drop in ranking is due to the Aviator and Corsair's issues.
Old 11-19-20 | 12:24 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I do not believe so. If you break down culture and demographics, younger people have been out and about much more during the pandemic than older people. The feeling of resilience, the need to be social, higher energy/hormone levels, the tendency to rebel from orders, etc. This is evident on the evening news alone if you observe the faces behind the scenes.

But even before the pandemic, those owning Buicks tend to drive less to begin with.
Younger people won't be driving much if they have families that they're afraid of infecting or are working/studying remotely from home. COVID affected everyone's daily driving, not just young people. Not to mention, most younger folks aren't the ones with the cash to be buying new vehicles.

COVID reduced driving to such an extent that it literally cut down global air pollution by ~20%.

https://interestingengineering.com/n...ue-to-covid-19

Last edited by Motorola; 11-19-20 at 12:33 PM.
Old 11-19-20 | 01:05 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

another meaningless horse race.

mazda sells probably 1% as many cars as toyota/lexus too.

i don't believe this 'shocking' result will help mazda at all.

toyota/honda buyers aren't moving to mazda. in fact, almost no one's moving to mazda with or without this 'ranking'.

Old 11-19-20 | 01:06 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

i see at the 'source' link that mazda gets 3x the score of tesla. yet somehow i bet mazda wishes they were tesla!

oh and poor lincoln

Quick Reply: Mazda claims #1 in CR's car brand reliability rankings