Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Well, its the end of an era....traded my LS460L in on a Mercedes S560

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-20 | 01:37 PM
aabassi
Driver

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Probably wont come as much of a surprise, but I traded the LS in on a 2020 S560 last night. It all came together pretty quickly. I had reached out to a dealer about a car I had driven back in August. Deals on S560s didnt seem to be easy to get, which is why I had kind of set my sights on the BMW 750. I was getting ready to order the 7, when I just figured I would email the guy and see what his price quote on that S560 would be, it was awful. So I thanked him and told him that I was going to go with the 7, and he came back and asked if they could match the deal on the 7 would I consider it. Told him I would have to come look at it and drive it again, and I did that yesterday afternoon.

The S560 is what I really prefer, and he made it happen, gave me a great trade on the LS and with the tax savings and the diminished value settlement I got it broke even which was something I never anticipated would be possible. Sad to see the Lexus go, but I was at a point where I was going to have to commit to buying it out and I was ready for something new. He also built the clear bra and a new set of non-runflat tires into the deal.

She's a beaut! Designo Diamond White with a black interior, AMG Sport Package, 4 matic. Rides like a dream, will be even better with the non-runflat tires. Only dissapointment is the audio which is not near what I had in the ML, but I may have the stereo shop do some tweaking when they install my dash cam.

Snapped a couple quick pics, lighting by the time I could do it today wasn't so great, I will get pics in better light

Congrats Steve! I have to say, I really thought you would go with the BMW but it's great to hear you got a good deal on the S560. Enjoy!
Old 11-23-20 | 04:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks guys!

Spent 6.5 hours behind the wheel today, drove all over the DC area delivering pies to clients, drove about 200 miles mixing highways, city, suburbs. God it’s such an incredible car to drive. Wow. So smooth and refined, all the tech works great.

I found the hot stone back massage. That will be a regular use item haha.

Finally a nice sunny day, I really like the color.

getting about 21 MPG mixed which is pretty damn good...
Old 11-23-20 | 06:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks guys!

Spent 6.5 hours behind the wheel today, drove all over the DC area delivering pies to clients
You've gone from Real Estate Agent to delivering food?

drove about 200 miles mixing highways, city, suburbs. God it’s such an incredible car to drive. Wow. So smooth and refined, all the tech works great.
Well, CR said it was the best-riding mass-produced sedan they had ever sampled.

I found the hot stone back massage. That will be a regular use item haha.
Don't let that feature get under your skin.....or rub you the wrong way. (just kidding)

Finally a nice sunny day, I really like the color.

Yep....nothing like the sun to bring out the best in a paint job.

getting about 21 MPG mixed which is pretty damn good...
That's what modern fuel-delivery-managenent, cylinder-shutdown, multi-gear transmissions, idle-stop/start, and other new technology will do for you. I'm doing better than that in the Lacrosse in mixed mileage (about 23 mixed), but it doesn't have the engine size or power yours does...it is a N/A/ V6.
Old 11-23-20 | 07:50 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You've gone from Real Estate Agent to delivering food?
We deliver pies to our clients at Thanksgiving as a thank you for supporting our business, done it for years. Its a lot of work and effort, but people LOVE it. We gave out almost 300 pies this year.

Well, CR said it was the best-riding mass-produced sedan they had ever sampled.
I would agree.

Don't let that feature get under your skin.....or rub you the wrong way. (just kidding)
LOL
Old 11-23-20 | 08:52 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AJT123
I always say cars are starting to suck but damn. That’s the kind of performance you get with a modern V8 luxury car. Those things are at top speed in no time.
more importantly, a twin turbo v8.

Why would anyone want hybrid assist with that? Glad he got 560 and not 580.
The mercedes hybrid system is no prius. it is used to provide seamless on/off of the engine so for example, at a light, the engine is off, but unlike a typical start/stop system that then has a hesitation or jerk when the light goes green you hit the gas and it has to start the engine, the mercedes system gets you going using electric power (instantly) while simultaneously starting the ICE and matching speed/revs with it so the take over is completely seamless. Of course using the electric side of things saves gas too, provides silence at stops, and also provides some more 'oomph' starting off and passing so lots of win. I've not experienced it yet, but that's what i've read about and seen. It's definitely complex though - can't imagine what that would cost outside warranty to fix!

Old 11-24-20 | 05:49 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Congratulations. I am glad you didn't have to settle and got the car you really wanted. Are you considering any mods? ​​​​​​
Old 11-24-20 | 07:17 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
more importantly, a twin turbo v8.

The mercedes hybrid system is no prius. it is used to provide seamless on/off of the engine so for example, at a light, the engine is off, but unlike a typical start/stop system that then has a hesitation or jerk when the light goes green you hit the gas and it has to start the engine, the mercedes system gets you going using electric power (instantly) while simultaneously starting the ICE and matching speed/revs with it so the take over is completely seamless. Of course using the electric side of things saves gas too, provides silence at stops, and also provides some more 'oomph' starting off and passing so lots of win. I've not experienced it yet, but that's what i've read about and seen. It's definitely complex though - can't imagine what that would cost outside warranty to fix!
Lol exactly why I wouldn’t want it, though I would never buy one of these for long haul, lease yes. I know it’s more of a torque assist around town, but anyone go back to those top speed runs. Definitely not needed.
Old 11-24-20 | 07:44 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
And right now that auto start/stop is not seamless, that 48V system would improve on that for sure. I really dont like the auto/stop start. Doesnt seem to be a way to permanently disable it like I did with the Pacifica either.

Originally Posted by natnut
Congratulations. I am glad you didn't have to settle and got the car you really wanted. Are you considering any mods? ​​​​​​
Thanks! Gonna have the new non-runflat tires installed, and get the clearbra done, and thats probably it.

Oh I did order a new license plate frame so thats something!
Old 11-24-20 | 08:15 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Non-runflat tires go on tomorrow.

Interesting things I've learned:

1. It does not have an oil dipstick. Have to check the oil through the computer.

2. Only the passenger mirror seems to tilt down in reverse, vs both on the LS, and only the drivers mirror is electrochromic, vs both in the LS.

3. The air suspension is much more robust than the LS, it raises and lowers the car quickly and noticably.

4. it has the most incredible windshield washers I have ever seen. They have a name for them "magic vision control". You can almost not even tell liquid is being deposited on the windshield:

Old 11-24-20 | 08:21 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

I have a friend who used to have a C Class. She asked me to come help her find the dipstick. We searched and searched but couldn't find one. She called the dealer and asked and was told "Mercedes owners don't check their own oil, mam." LOL...
Old 11-24-20 | 08:24 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Hahaha, apparently not!
Old 11-24-20 | 08:26 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I assume, then, that they could find the size your car needs, in the brand you want.

What brand are you going with? My experience has been, over the years, that Michelin and Continental are generally the best.....but, if you remember, my brother went with a set of new Vredesteins (which are not common in the U.S.), and he loves them.

1. It does not have an oil dipstick. Have to check the oil through the computer.
I'm not a fan of that either....but we're stuck with it today on more and more vehicles.

Even with a dipstick, though, one still needs to take precautions and do it correctly. The reading on the dipstick will vary with oil temperature, level vs. slanted/tilted surface, how long it has been since the engine was shut off (oil slowly drains back down into the crankcase), the amount of moisture condensed in the oil (the the engine gets hot for long periods, the moisture vaporizes off and gives a lower reading on the stick), and several other factors.

3. The air suspension is much more robust than the LS, it raises and lowers the car quickly and noticably.
Let's hope robust also means durable. Air suspensions are usually not on the list of the more reliable automotive components.
Old 11-24-20 | 08:32 AM
arentz07

Congrats! Nicely done on choosing the AMG package - those wheels look awesome on that car.
Old 11-24-20 | 08:42 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I assume, then, that they could find the size your car needs, in the brand you want.

What brand are you going with? My experience has been, over the years, that Michelin and Continental are generally the best.....but, if you remember, my brother went with a set of new Vredesteins (which are not common in the U.S.), and he loves them.
Aren't a ton of choices because of the staggered wide rear tires. It has Continental Run Flats on it now, that of the available OEM Runflats on the car are the worst riding. I've driven it on all three of the options (Pirelli Cinturato P7 RunFlat, Michelin Primacy MXM4 Runflat and Continental SSR) and there is a clear difference. I chose Michelin Primacy Tour A/S.

I'm not a fan of that either....but we're stuck with it today on more and more vehicles.
Yeah I would rather have a dipstick.

Let's hope robust also means durable. Air suspensions are usually not on the list of the more reliable automotive components.
I havent seen any complaints about air suspension failures on the W222 yet, W221 yeah. In any event it'll be long gone before that happens. No chance I would keep this after the lease.

Originally Posted by arentz07
Congrats! Nicely done on choosing the AMG package - those wheels look awesome on that car.
Thanks! Yeah my favorite wheels. A lot of them come with the 20s which I wanted to avoid
Old 11-24-20 | 08:52 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Interesting things I've learned:

2. Only the passenger mirror seems to tilt down in reverse, vs both on the LS, and only the drivers mirror is electrochromic, vs both in the LS.

4. it has the most incredible windshield washers I have ever seen. They have a name for them "magic vision control". You can almost not even tell liquid is being deposited on the windshield:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07AZHkkLR0k&t=6s
Yes that wiper washer system is neat. It debuted on the 2013 SL as to make sure occupants don’t get sprayed.

Quick Reply: Well, its the end of an era....traded my LS460L in on a Mercedes S560