Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Well, its the end of an era....traded my LS460L in on a Mercedes S560

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-20, 03:02 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 188 Posts

The ambient lighting in those is also, like, out-of-this-world cool in these. You should set it really snazzy at night sometime and take some pics for us.
Old 11-29-20, 03:05 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Oh its amazing. I've been playing with it, and took a long drive last night at night, its really cool. You can also set it to fade to red when you increase the cabin temp and fade to blue when you decrease it. I will try and get a nighttime pic...

You would think it would be a huge distraction at night, but its all below your eye level and it really doesnt bother you.
Old 11-29-20, 03:13 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
You can also set it to fade to red when you increase the cabin temp and fade to blue when you decrease it.

u.
You've got to be kidding me, but I'm not surprised. That is realllllly cool.

It just sucks that cars like the newest LS have nothing like that and it's like they didn't try. Sure the floating armrests on the doors are cool but the ambient light isn't adjustable at all as far as I know. NOTHING like an S-Class.
Old 11-29-20, 03:14 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah, and ambient lighting is so easy to do, I don't know why Lexus hasnt done it
Old 11-29-20, 03:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Yeah, and ambient lighting is so easy to do, I don't know why Lexus hasnt done it
I know my mind often tends to recall things from the automotive past, but remember two things. First, it was Lexus that originally gave us a major advance forward on instrument lighting with the backlit electrolumniscent gauges in the early 90s....that solved a lot of the gauge-visibility problems.

Second, on the issue of area/ambient lighting for the dash, we saw that on the late 1960s/early-70s full-size cars from Chrysler....a nifty idea which made everything easy to see at night, and didn't hide anything....although I couldn't find an image-example of its night-effect to post.

Old 11-29-20, 03:45 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I know my mind often tends to recall things from the automotive past, but remember two things. First, it was Lexus that originally gave us a major advance forward on instrument lighting with the backlit electrolumniscent gauges in the early 90s....that solved a lot of the gauge-visibility problems.

Second, on the issue of area/ambient lighting for the dash, we saw that on the late 1960s/early-70s full-size cars from Chrysler....a nifty idea which made everything easy to see at night, and didn't hide anything....although I couldn't find an image-example of its night-effect to post.
Oh yeah, those gauges were revolutionary. Much copied. People who say Lexus never made anything original are insane.

My LS430 has ambient light but nothing fancy. Just under the dash, back seats, and above door handles, and near moonroof.

The cool thing is they fade up when you put it in park, fade down when you put it in drive.
Old 11-29-20, 04:46 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 394 Likes on 267 Posts

Dude.... I go away for 10 days off the CL grid and come back to this. Congrats! One of the things I never wanted to post but was thinking the whole time was how I felt you may feel like you settled for the 7 series given how much you have commented on the S class over the years. To me, the S is the absolute king of the luxury sedan class (outside of a Rolls Royce). Seeing those pics you posted, especially the interior, just show what a ridiculously classy and classic sedan it is. I'm glad you got what you ultimately wanted. We've owned a lot of the same vehicles so I'm excited to hear over time how this compares to your various LS's. My guess is you'll be an S class guy for-life. Cheers!
Old 11-29-20, 07:40 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

When it comes to ambient lighting, for me less is more. I tend to set it to orange and minimum brightness to make it as least distracting as possible, kind of like it was done in older BMWs before they lost their driver oriented focus. My wife loves it however, and keeps changing colors to "suit her mood" lol. Usually its neon blue, and drives me crazy within seconds.
Old 11-29-20, 07:44 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall

Lexus has done a number of innovations with gauges. The original LS400 came with gauges that had a 3d effect, illuminated needless, auto dim function. The 2GS had white CFL backlights, and then the LFA with its tricked out digital instrument cluster.
Old 11-30-20, 09:51 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,487 Likes on 1,633 Posts

ok, let's not make this thread about the Lexus LS any longer. it's about SW17LS's new S560.
Old 11-30-20, 11:15 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
Dude.... I go away for 10 days off the CL grid and come back to this. Congrats! One of the things I never wanted to post but was thinking the whole time was how I felt you may feel like you settled for the 7 series given how much you have commented on the S class over the years. To me, the S is the absolute king of the luxury sedan class (outside of a Rolls Royce). Seeing those pics you posted, especially the interior, just show what a ridiculously classy and classic sedan it is. I'm glad you got what you ultimately wanted. We've owned a lot of the same vehicles so I'm excited to hear over time how this compares to your various LS's. My guess is you'll be an S class guy for-life. Cheers!
Haha, I like being unpredictable. Thanks!

Originally Posted by Och
When it comes to ambient lighting, for me less is more. I tend to set it to orange and minimum brightness to make it as least distracting as possible, kind of like it was done in older BMWs before they lost their driver oriented focus. My wife loves it however, and keeps changing colors to "suit her mood" lol. Usually its neon blue, and drives me crazy within seconds.
Yeah I don't know if I will eventually get bored of the novelty and turn it down. but so far I like it! I have it set to 75%
Old 11-30-20, 11:27 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,621 Likes on 1,034 Posts

Im going to use GTechniq Crystal Serum Lite and EXO.
I bought some of this to do the GS, but haven't had time to do it yet. I've heard great things and wasn't all that thrilled with the CQUK I used on the last GS.
Old 11-30-20, 11:32 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Haha, I like being unpredictable. Thanks!

Yeah I don't know if I will eventually get bored of the novelty and turn it down. but so far I like it! I have it set to 75%
We have the ambient lighting in both of our cars and I have them set at 50%-60% or so and don't change them. One car has the blue lighting (it's metallic blue/ivory) and the other is orange (it's black/beige). I don't normally notice the lighting but when I do it reminds me how nice it is.
Old 11-30-20, 11:34 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah I still have CQUK 3.0 that I'm going to use on the windows and wheels I think. The Crystal Serum looks much better.

So clear bra goes on tomorrow, second set of tires goes on Wednesday lol.

I have to think about tint. The windows have a greenish mirrored look to them already, and that impacts how tint will look. I may wind up not tinting it.

Stock:

Hard to see in pictures, but in certain light they almost look tinted anyways.

Last edited by SW17LS; 11-30-20 at 11:38 AM.
Old 11-30-20, 11:40 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

This ones got tint, you can see the mirrored look:

Quick Reply: Well, its the end of an era....traded my LS460L in on a Mercedes S560