Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Well, its the end of an era....traded my LS460L in on a Mercedes S560

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-20, 01:14 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I just remembered, and maybe you posted this, but the S class always has an air suspension AFAIK, at least in the rear. The LS460 I think has both conventional and air suspension options. Which one did you have in the LS?
Old 12-05-20, 01:18 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Yep, it comes standard with the air suspension, all 4 corners. My 2015 LS460 was standard springs and my 2017 LS460L was air suspension.
Old 12-05-20, 02:26 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Yep, it comes standard with the air suspension, all 4 corners. My 2015 LS460 was standard springs and my 2017 LS460L was air suspension.
How did they compare?
Old 12-05-20, 03:35 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
How did they compare?
The air suspension definitely makes the LS ride better. The S560 rides even better, it has a solidity at speed that the LS doesn’t have to the same degree, although the LS does ride great as well.
Old 12-05-20, 04:03 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

The air suspension definitely makes the LS ride better. The S560 rides even better, it has a solidity at speed that the LS doesn’t have to the same degree, although the LS does ride great as well.
Is the air suspension softer, or does it have longer travel, or both, or neither?

Or is the air suspension able to give softer rides at all speeds, while conventional coil springs only become soft when a certain speed is reach, and then well above that speed, the conventional coil is too soft?
Moreover, conventional coils, the initial inch is soft, but the next inch becomes progressively firmer, while the third inch is firmer again etc - while air suspension only becomes firm when sensors and processors increase air pressure?

In my experience, S Class, and even E and C all have very long spring travel with lots of roll - however the unequal length double wishbones keep the tires perpendicular to the road surface to grip and grip.
Old 12-05-20, 06:17 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

To me the difference with an air suspension isn’t that it’s “softer” per se, you get less vibrations transmitted up to the cabin through the suspension, and you get less rebound, the suspension settles faster.

The S Class’ airmatic does a better job of keeping the car level than the system on the LS, so you have less roll, less squat and dive and less floatiness.

The suspension in the S is a lot more robust too, you can hear the compressors and it raises and lowers much faster while on the LS You always kinda wondered if it was working.

I would be hard pressed to say any of these cars ride markedly better than the other, the LS on coils or air is a great riding car, S Class is a great riding car.
Old 12-05-20, 07:03 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

To me the difference with an air suspension isn’t that it’s “softer” per se, you get less vibrations transmitted up to the cabin through the suspension, and you get less rebound, the suspension settles faster.

The S Class’ airmatic does a better job of keeping the car level than the system on the LS, so you have less roll, less squat and dive and less floatiness.

The suspension in the S is a lot more robust too, you can hear the compressors and it raises and lowers much faster while on the LS You always kinda wondered if it was working.

I would be hard pressed to say any of these cars ride markedly better than the other, the LS on coils or air is a great riding car, S Class is a great riding car.
Excellent post Steve.
You summed up: mechanical coils vs air suspension, and S Class air vs LS air - beautifully.
I've only driven on air suspension in S Class, E Class and Tesla Model S a few times.
Old 12-06-20, 08:39 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

For sure!

I didnt do any serious paint correction. The paint is pretty good, there were a couple little areas I did polish out but not the whole car. This being my first german car in many many years the paint is HARD. The paint on a Lexus is really soft, its easy to rub pretty much anything out by hand with a hand polish/scratch remover. Not on this!

It had a lot of imbedded paint contaminants and iron spots having sat on the lot all that time, so it needed fallout remover and clay.

First I washed it, then I sprayed it down with CarPro Iron X for chemical decontamination/fallout removal:
Mercedes and some other brands/cars have ceramic based clearcoats, Mercedes uses CeramiClear. It makes it more scratch resistant though not totally scratch resistant. I remember when I was detailing a Mercedes and my normal polishing would not get out the scratches or swirls even with Menzerna IP, I had to either use a more aggressive pad with IP or use a compound to remove the scratches and then I started remembering I read about hard Mercedes clearcoats. Menzerna even made a more aggressive polish for those clearcoats. They are nice that they help cut down on scratches but they make correcting difficult and a longer process. Lexus/Toyota/Honda/Acura clearcoats are some of the softest, they can get easily swirled with just washing/drying but they are generally pretty easy to polish/correct.

I guess without a CD/DVD player there is no way to play DVD's in a S class or many new cars which kind of sucks. Is there any workarounds with Mercedes to play video files or mirror your smart phone content?
Old 12-06-20, 09:23 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah I had to break out stuff I hadn't used to polish in a long, long time!

I don't know that without the DVD package in the back theres any way to stream content like video off of a phone... to be honest I still don't know how 2/3rds of the stuff works. its an incredibly complex car! 99% of S Class owners likely never know how to use most of the features...
Old 12-06-20, 09:18 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,487 Likes on 1,633 Posts

Originally Posted by LS430FL
Check out a product called Iron X by CarPro. It's quite amazing. Especially on a white car.
thanks, but no thanks. I use a mobile detailer. I've got better things to do with my time but i respect those that love cleaning/detailing/protecting their cars.
Old 12-07-20, 06:10 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Many years back when my parents bought a then new W220 S500, I found that with air suspension not only you feel it less, but you also hear it less. I don't have a full understanding on how it works, but I understand it replaces conventional shock and spring with a shock that has an air bag instead, so it should make less noise.
Old 12-07-20, 06:15 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Many years back when my parents bought a then new W220 S500, I found that with air suspension not only you feel it less, but you also hear it less. I don't have a full understanding on how it works, but I understand it replaces conventional shock and spring with a shock that has an air bag instead, so it should make less noise.
Thats totally right, you don’t hear the suspension actuating the way you do with coil suspension.
Old 12-07-20, 06:26 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Thats totally right, you don’t hear the suspension actuating the way you do with coil suspension.
Which really compliments the the luxurious ride in a big way, but at the same allows it to have a sporty ride with adjustable setting.

I wonder how the 1LS and 2LS with air suspensions ride. These cars mostly came with conventional suspensions, and were often criticized for a lot of body roll and poor handling. I had a 94 LS400 with standard suspension, and I never had an opportunity to drive one with air suspension.

Also, I believe early LS with air suspension only had height adjustment, but no firmness adjustment. The W220 had both height and sport/comfort adjustment.
Old 12-07-20, 07:01 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah I totally agree. My LS430 and LS400 had air suspension, and when I got the second LS460 the air suspension was the piece of the experience that was missing. 2LS on air rode really well, without a ton of body roll, etc. Just height adjustment, you're right.
Old 12-07-20, 07:10 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Yeah I totally agree. My LS430 and LS400 had air suspension, and when I got the second LS460 the air suspension was the piece of the experience that was missing. 2LS on air rode really well, without a ton of body roll, etc. Just height adjustment, you're right.
Didnt the LS430 have a sport/comfort setting with air suspension? Did it make a lot of difference in handling?

Quick Reply: Well, its the end of an era....traded my LS460L in on a Mercedes S560