Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Well, its the end of an era....traded my LS460L in on a Mercedes S560

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-20, 11:01 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 240 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Lol yeah that was back in the day when AMG was all about just the drag strip. (Was fine by me.)
more like the empty runway lol... it's pretty heavy and even stock there's way more oomph than is possible to actually transfer to the road with the standard 265 section tires despite 1st gear going to nearly 50 mph, people have run 11s with just fitting big grippy drag radials and no power upgrades

it's really more for going very fast on the autobahn and isn't a track car by any means, which i'm happy for since it's supremely comfortable
Old 12-08-20, 11:06 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Steve, congrats on the new ride love the colour combo. Looking forward to your feedback.
Old 12-08-20, 11:20 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
more like the empty runway lol... it's pretty heavy and even stock there's way more oomph than is possible to actually transfer to the road with the standard 265 section tires despite 1st gear going to nearly 50 mph, people have run 11s with just fitting big grippy drag radials and no power upgrades

it's really more for going very fast on the autobahn and isn't a track car by any means, which i'm happy for since it's supremely comfortable
Yes and while not a track car like you say, it can certainly handle the sweeping turns on autobahns at insane speeds with aplomb.

First gear goes to 50? Niccccce.
Old 12-08-20, 11:33 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by shmelvin1
Good job you leased it they are fantastic cars, but as soon as the warranty is over it will hundreds & thousands you to death. I had an S600 that I calculated cost me over $5.00 a mile to drive...But wow! what a drive it was.
I have a friend who has an S-Class 560....superb ride....but she does have quite a few issues.....iphone not connecting...sluggish starts with start/stop...something really pissed her off was that they left the paperwork for her car on the dash with her name, phone number, address for everyone to see as it was parked over the weekend...someone looking at cars texted her that all your information is out and present for anyone to see with a pic

Originally Posted by SW17LS

Had my first service experience this morning. The weatherstripping on the drivers door is a little misaligned so I dropped it off to have that addressed. Experience was great, I would say better than Lexus.
l
Well that is not great...hope they fix it for you
Old 12-08-20, 11:41 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Yes and while not a track car like you say, it can certainly handle the sweeping turns on autobahns at insane speeds with aplomb.

First gear goes to 50? Niccccce.
oh yea... todays cars are basically shifting into 4th to do a 0-60, this is just shifting out of 1st! 2nd goes to 85 and 3rd takes you all the way to 130, the only way to fully utilize 4th is deactivating the limiter lol... then finally you'll get 5th at about 175 where it'll eventually max out at >190, and at 70 you're only at 2000 rpm so the mpgs really aren't that bad just cruising along
Old 12-08-20, 11:47 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

I’ve never owned an air car.

When do you hear compressors working?

At a light? What “work” would it have to do stopped?
The air suspension levels the car, so its constantly working to keep the body level. I hear it mostly when I'm backing out of my garage as it adjusts to me being in the car, etc.

Originally Posted by Och
In the S class you don't hear anything.
I can hear the compressors when stopped and the radio is off. Theyre very quiet.

Originally Posted by plex
Steve, congrats on the new ride love the colour combo. Looking forward to your feedback.
Thanks!! Yeah I have really warmed up to the color.

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I have a friend who has an S-Class 560....superb ride....but she does have quite a few issues.....iphone not connecting...sluggish starts with start/stop...something really pissed her off was that they left the paperwork for her car on the dash with her name, phone number, address for everyone to see as it was parked over the weekend...someone looking at cars texted her that all your information is out and present for anyone to see with a pic
Yeah the engine start stop just as a feature sucks. Its way more obvious in this E350 than in my S560, but it does create a sluggishness when accelerating off the line when the engine is off thats annoying. There is a module you can buy that plugs into the OBDII port that will program it to remember the last setting, as in when you turn it off it stays off after a restart until you turn it on again. I have a similar unit installed on the Pacifica to defeat the stop/start that works great. I will likely get that.

Well that is not great...hope they fix it for you
Already heard from them, verified the issue and ordered the seal, it will be in tomorrow morning and they will swap it out.

So far SUPER impressed with the dealer. They actually sent me a video from the tech where he points out exactly whats going on with my car and lets me know the solution and a timeline.
Old 12-08-20, 12:06 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah the engine start stop just as a feature sucks. Its way more obvious in this E350 than in my S560, but it does create a sluggishness when accelerating off the line when the engine is off thats annoying. There is a module you can buy that plugs into the OBDII port that will program it to remember the last setting, as in when you turn it off it stays off after a restart until you turn it on again. I have a similar unit installed on the Pacifica to defeat the stop/start that works great. I will likely get that.
i'm driving the C300 a few weeks ago and i pull up to a light right as it's changing green, but still stopped just enough to activate the auto stop for the briefest of moments, the timing of everything must've been just so that when i pressed the pedal again it was completely unresponsive! the car was just idling and pressing the gas did nothing, i had to shut the car and start it again just to keep driving, fortunately it was late at night and nobody was behind me

i prefer how some cars require you to fully depress the brake to activate the stop start, these current breed of mercedes are super aggressive about stopping the engine though no matter how lightly you're pressing the pedal, although i find that the C300 at least is generally very good about starting the engine and getting going again almost right away
Old 12-08-20, 12:08 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I can hear the compressors when stopped and the radio is off. Theyre very quiet.
My sincere condolences, must be unbearable.
Old 12-08-20, 01:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

i'm driving the C300 a few weeks ago and i pull up to a light right as it's changing green, but still stopped just enough to activate the auto stop for the briefest of moments, the timing of everything must've been just so that when i pressed the pedal again it was completely unresponsive! the car was just idling and pressing the gas did nothing, i had to shut the car and start it again just to keep driving, fortunately it was late at night and nobody was behind me

i prefer how some cars require you to fully depress the brake to activate the stop start, these current breed of mercedes are super aggressive about stopping the engine though no matter how lightly you're pressing the pedal, although i find that the C300 at least is generally very good about starting the engine and getting going again almost right away
Yeah, I just don't like the "feature" at all lol

Originally Posted by Och
My sincere condolences, must be unbearable.
The struggle is real! haha
Old 12-08-20, 01:26 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, I just don't like the "feature" at all lol
can you not just press the button and turn it off? i've done that sometimes when there's a crucial merge coming up
Old 12-08-20, 01:28 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

can you not just press the button and turn it off? i've done that sometimes when there's a crucial merge coming up
You can but you have to remember to do it every time you start the car.
Old 12-08-20, 02:54 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Start stop is horrendous, thank god you can disable it.

I’d quickly get used to hitting that button every single startup lol.
Old 12-08-20, 04:01 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Congrats, Steve! The S was always high on your list and glad to see you got it.
Old 12-08-20, 04:41 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks FT1!
Old 12-09-20, 05:59 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

This whole thread is full of #firstworldproblems

Quick Reply: Well, its the end of an era....traded my LS460L in on a Mercedes S560