Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Well, its the end of an era....traded my LS460L in on a Mercedes S560

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-20, 06:25 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
This whole thread is full of #firstworldproblems

LOL it really is.
Old 12-09-20, 06:43 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
This whole thread is full of #firstworldproblems
Without a doubt lol
Old 12-09-20, 06:56 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
i'm driving the C300 a few weeks ago and i pull up to a light right as it's changing green, but still stopped just enough to activate the auto stop for the briefest of moments, the timing of everything must've been just so that when i pressed the pedal again it was completely unresponsive! the car was just idling and pressing the gas did nothing, i had to shut the car and start it again just to keep driving, fortunately it was late at night and nobody was behind me

i prefer how some cars require you to fully depress the brake to activate the stop start, these current breed of mercedes are super aggressive about stopping the engine though no matter how lightly you're pressing the pedal, although i find that the C300 at least is generally very good about starting the engine and getting going again almost right away
In my E class, it requires a further push down into the brake pedal to activate the start stop. I can come to a complete stop and stay stopped without having it activating if I keep light pressure on the pedal. I love this about my car. I have driven other Mercedes' lower tiered models, a, cla, glb, c and none of them do it this way. I am not sure why the E class is unicorn.
Old 12-09-20, 07:29 AM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Its got all the driving aids. Distronic plus, it basically drives itself. It does so pretty well too.
The tech is amazing to me. My 15 S550 (placed in service Sept 2014) has more tech than many top line vehicles today. The Distronic Plus is great, especially on trips. This past January wife and I went on 1,800 mile round trip to FL, and drive was not at all tiring with the Distronic, including the 10+ hr of hard driving to first stop and later home.

i've seen a video where someone taped a travel mug to the wheel to get around this lol
I've seen this as well. Don't believe I would recommend it though.

They do reserve specific loaners for S Class customers. I have a nicely optioned E350. As they were giving out loaners the porter told the guy bringing the car around "He has an S Class, so give him that E Class and I'll give her whatever else we have" lol
They don't do that at the dealership I go to, although you can request a vehicle. However, I like driving different vehicles so I am fine with whatever. I have had several SUVs, including the GLA, which is a peppy little vehicle.
Some folks on the MB forum even complain of having to go to the same part of the service area with those A Class & C Class owners!
Old 12-09-20, 08:45 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I could see that! haha.

Had my first service experience this morning. The weatherstripping on the drivers door is a little misaligned so I dropped it off to have that addressed. Experience was great, I would say better than Lexus.

They do reserve specific loaners for S Class customers. I have a nicely optioned E350. As they were giving out loaners the porter told the guy bringing the car around "He has an S Class, so give him that E Class and I'll give her whatever else we have" lol
How does the ride, drive, quality of the E class compare to your S class?
Old 12-09-20, 09:05 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by wasjr
The tech is amazing to me. My 15 S550 (placed in service Sept 2014) has more tech than many top line vehicles today. The Distronic Plus is great, especially on trips. This past January wife and I went on 1,800 mile round trip to FL, and drive was not at all tiring with the Distronic, including the 10+ hr of hard driving to first stop and later home.
Its pretty amazing!

Originally Posted by UDel
How does the ride, drive, quality of the E class compare to your S class?
The S is obviously on a whole other level. The E is very nice though, rides well, very quiet. I dont care for the 4cyl powertrain, but thats solved by springing for the V6. Interior is very nice quality, seats are firm but very comfortable, MBTex isnt bad at all.
Old 12-09-20, 10:19 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Its pretty amazing!

The S is obviously on a whole other level. The E is very nice though, rides well, very quiet. I dont care for the 4cyl powertrain, but thats solved by springing for the V6. Interior is very nice quality, seats are firm but very comfortable, MBTex isnt bad at all.
That was seriously my next question: how bad is the engine? Is it satisfying in ANY way at all? I feel the luxury experience starts and ends with the engine, I still can’t swallow 4 cylinder E-Classes.

Now they are using a new I-6 in the higher end models. Sucks no V8 but a German I-6 sounds delicious still.
Old 12-09-20, 10:22 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 240 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
In my E class, it requires a further push down into the brake pedal to activate the start stop. I can come to a complete stop and stay stopped without having it activating if I keep light pressure on the pedal. I love this about my car. I have driven other Mercedes' lower tiered models, a, cla, glb, c and none of them do it this way. I am not sure why the E class is unicorn.
i feel like the E class always gets a unique extra feature here and there... it's more like a smaller S-class rather than a bigger C-class

my car has a few extra features regarding the SBC braking that were standard in europe but never made it to north america
Old 12-09-20, 10:24 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

i feel like the E class always gets a unique extra feature here and there... it's more like a smaller S-class rather than a bigger C-classa
Totally agree. The E-Class is and always has been a legit-azz Mercedes. If some were weaker than others that extended to the rest of the lineup, too.

It’s part of the reason I hate that it comes with a four pot.
Old 12-09-20, 10:34 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AJT123
Totally agree. The E-Class is and always has been a legit-azz Mercedes. If some were weaker than others that extended to the rest of the lineup, too.

It’s part of the reason I hate that it comes with a four pot.
i always like to make the distinction between a mercedes, and a benz... the E is definitely a benz lol

and yea i felt almost betrayed when i saw it was going to starting coming with a 4 cyl
Old 12-09-20, 03:51 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AJT123
That was seriously my next question: how bad is the engine? Is it satisfying in ANY way at all? I feel the luxury experience starts and ends with the engine, I still can’t swallow 4 cylinder E-Classes.

Now they are using a new I-6 in the higher end models. Sucks no V8 but a German I-6 sounds delicious still.
Its okay, wouldn’t be my choice at all.

Got the S560 back today, I actually
laughed out loud when I got inside because it’s so nice haha
Old 12-09-20, 03:52 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Its okay, wouldn’t be my choice at all.

Got the S560 back today, I actually
laughed out loud when I got inside because it’s so nice haha
Those Mercedes S class interiors are the best in the business. Its so nice I wouldn't want anyone else in the car with me
Old 12-09-20, 04:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Still waiting for SW20S560, Steve...........or whatever your new call-sign will be.
Old 12-09-20, 04:57 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Still waiting for SW20S560, Steve...........or whatever your new call-sign will be.
Sonderklasse_Steve
Old 12-09-20, 05:10 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I think im going to leave my name the way it is lol

Quick Reply: Well, its the end of an era....traded my LS460L in on a Mercedes S560