Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Well, its the end of an era....traded my LS460L in on a Mercedes S560

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-20, 01:29 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 240 Likes on 181 Posts

awesome machine! it's a shame toyota has slacked so much in recent years to the point where germany has definitively retaken the lead, that S560 is certainly a car worth buying

congrats and good luck! hopefully the next LS will put things back in order but i'm sadly not too optimistic...
Old 11-21-20, 06:25 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
you mean the deal wasn't as good as the 7 then the manager got you back to sweeten it to what you got?

oh and major congrats. those seats look to die for.
Thankya! Yeah they were $200 more a month for the S and the same trade for the LS, they came down to $100 a month more and $2k more than BMW offered for the trade, I told them I needed to think about it and get the LS appraised at carmax. I was backing out of the parking lot and he came out to get me. They matched the payment on the 7 and gave me $4k more for the LS than BMW had offered (improved their own offer $2k more) if I did it that night. I've been shopping these deals everywhere and I knew that was too good to pass up.

The seat is pretty cool. You can literally tailor the sculputing of the backrest.

Originally Posted by RXSF
Do they still make the Freeside Mood the sample fragrance that comes with the car? I feel like that is the best scent out of all of them. You should have also received a small box with vials of the other 3 or 4 scents. Personally, I dont find the need for the fragrance system but they usually bundle it into the higher spec cars.
Yep! They don't give you the sampler anymore, just the freeside mood which seems nice.

Originally Posted by winterturb
Women are Beautiful Cars are Nice. That car is more than nice and comes as close as one can to being “beautiful”inside. Nice Ride and hope you get a lot of pleasant miles out of it.
Thank you!

Originally Posted by mmarshall
So, what's it going to be now.....SW20MB? SW20AMG? SW20$$$? Or something else?
I gotta think about that lol

BTW, luck/fate/Karma/justice.....whatever you want to call it, seems to have caught up. You gave in to your wife's requests for another Pacifica, and now you have your dream car....she apparently gave in to yours.
Thats one of the reasons why I did it lol, and its AWD. We can take it to Albany and WV and all if weather is a concern. The justification I used for getting the LS in 2015 was because she made me trade the Jeep on the Sedona so it works out lol.

I also just wonder what insurance is going to run on something like that. Have you reported it to your agent or insurance company yet...or done the transfer on-line? I don't know what the law is in Maryland, but, in Virginia, insurance regulation gives you an automatic 30-day coverage (from the delivery date) on any new vehicle on your existing policy. After 30 days, of course, you have to report the new vehicle's VIN and get it added....and, if applicable, your old vehicle dropped.
Thats a very good question. I haven't called him yet, I just switched from Allstate to Progressive and saved like $1,400 a year so in the least it wont be more than I was paying before. Yeah you have 30 days.

Originally Posted by UDel
Doesn't the new 7 series have one too. My "cabin fragrance system" in my GS is opening a pack of those scented wax cubes and sitting it on the floor, it actually works very well, I do either pumpkin spice, brownie pecan, or hazelnut cream for fall/Thanksgiving, then I move to a Pine/Christmas tree set after Thanksgiving.
So the 7 Series DID but they did away with it for 2021. They did away with a few odd options, such as dropping ordinary silver from their colors. Why would you drop SILVER from a large luxury sedan?!?

Originally Posted by SC300Es
Congratulations!

Enjoy the new ride. Can't go wrong with that color.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by LexusChris
Congrats on the new S, love the current gen gonna miss it for the new one! It's still a looker these days to me!
Thanks!

Originally Posted by Stroock639
awesome machine! it's a shame toyota has slacked so much in recent years to the point where germany has definitively retaken the lead, that S560 is certainly a car worth buying

congrats and good luck! hopefully the next LS will put things back in order but i'm sadly not too optimistic...
Yeah we shall see! The only disappointment with this car is the audio system vs the ML in the Lexus, its a big step down. I'm going to live with it a little and see if I acclimate to it, and if not people at MB World have had some modifications done which have helped a lot. It sounds fine at normal volumes, but I had become accustomed to being able to turn up stuff I really liked when I was alone in the car and the Burmester falls apart when you dothat. The ML got better sounding the louder it got.
Old 11-21-20, 07:02 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,437 Likes on 1,598 Posts

Surprised the Burmester isn't that great. I *LOVE* the Lexicon system in my G90.
Old 11-21-20, 07:03 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,437 Likes on 1,598 Posts

Were there any options it has that you didn't want or care about, and were there any options it doesn't have which you wish it did?
Old 11-21-20, 07:17 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Surprised the Burmester isn't that great. I *LOVE* the Lexicon system in my G90.
Its the base Burmester, the "Burmester High End" which is a $6,000 option is incredible. I would say this is equivalent to the base audio in the LS that I had in the 2015. The ML was way better. Yeah the Lexicon is great.

Were there any options it has that you didn't want or care about, and were there any options it doesn't have which you wish it did?
It really doesnt have anything that I didnt want, believe it or not at $123k its a pretty low option car. I could have taken or left the AWD vs the RWD (my LS460L was RWD, my LS460 was AWD). This has all the self driving hoo haa that I likely won't use but its fun to have. $2,250 for that which is very reasonable IMO. The AMG Appearance package which I think is a must for how it makes the car look is a shocking $6,000. For different bumpers and wheels, crazy. This color is also $800.

The two options I wish it had are the Burmester High End audio, and to a lesser extent the exclusive nappa leather which gives you additional quilting and the suede headliner. Cars equipped with those simply do not exist on lots, so finding them was really out of the question even if I wanted to pay the $133k the car would have cost with those options (which I didnt).

I still can't believe I pulled this deal off, and including the clear bra...
Old 11-21-20, 07:49 AM
rosskoss
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hope you don't take this the wrong way - but what's so special about this Designo Diamond White color that it costs $800? It looks like regular white to me. Also, your signature says that the interior is black...but in the photo you posted, it looks almost blueish grey. Is that just my eyes playing tricks on me?
Old 11-21-20, 07:57 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rosskoss
Hope you don't take this the wrong way - but what's so special about this Designo Diamond White color that it costs $800? It looks like regular white to me. Also, your signature says that the interior is black...but in the photo you posted, it looks almost blueish grey. Is that just my eyes playing tricks on me?
Nothing lol. No clue why they charge for it, it’s just like any other pearl white.

it’s black, it’s the lighting.
Old 11-21-20, 07:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Nothing lol. No clue why they charge for it, it’s just like any other pearl white.

it’s black, it’s the lighting.

Pearl whites are generally more difficult for the manufacturers (and body shops) to do. It requires more stages in the painting process.
Old 11-21-20, 08:00 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 676 Likes on 423 Posts

Congrats! What a great car. Glad you got the one you always wanted. Enjoy!
Old 11-21-20, 08:04 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Pearl whites are generally more difficult for the manufacturers (and body shops) to do. It requires more stages in the painting process.
Its interesting what colors companies charge for. Lexus doesnt charge for pearl white, nor does BMW, and I don't see how this color is any more dynamic than those colors. BMW has colors they charge 2-4k for to, having seen those colors, I don't get those either.

Originally Posted by swajames
Congrats! What a great car. Glad you got the one you always wanted. Enjoy!
Thank you!
Old 11-21-20, 08:16 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Any plans for tint or ceramic coating on the new S Class?
Old 11-21-20, 08:22 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I am sure you have been doing a lot of research on MB World and other Merc/S class sites and this gen has been out for a little while now. Are there any trouble spots for these cars/engines over the years, this gen S class sedan or coupe is on my radar for a next car used, the reliability/cost to fix problem areas is the main thing that worries me.
Old 11-21-20, 09:00 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 289 Likes on 206 Posts

Its interesting what colors companies charge for. Lexus doesnt charge for pearl white, nor does BMW, and I don't see how this color is any more dynamic than those colors. BMW has colors they charge 2-4k for to, having seen those colors, I don't get those either.

Thank you!
It may depend on the model, on the M340 the basic Alpine White didn’t have an up charge but the metallic Mineral White did for $550.
Old 11-21-20, 09:33 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Any plans for tint or ceramic coating on the new S Class?
Oh yeah, for both. The tint I have to do some research into. The car has infrared glass and it has a greenish mirror look which complicates tinting.

Originally Posted by UDel
I am sure you have been doing a lot of research on MB World and other Merc/S class sites and this gen has been out for a little while now. Are there any trouble spots for these cars/engines over the years, this gen S class sedan or coupe is on my radar for a next car used, the reliability/cost to fix problem areas is the main thing that worries me.
It doesn’t really seem that way. Electrical gremlins here and there, and air suspension I’m sure but I haven’t seen a ton. One of my friends has a 2015 he bought CPO and it has like 75k miles and he hasn’t had any issues. I also know two people who have old W221s with over 100k and theirs have been pretty good too

Originally Posted by patgilm
It may depend on the model, on the M340 the basic Alpine White didn’t have an up charge but the metallic Mineral White did for $550.
Mineral white was free on the 7
Old 11-21-20, 10:04 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

The S560 is what I really prefer, and he made it happen, gave me a great trade on the LS and with the tax savings and the diminished value settlement I got it broke even which was something I never anticipated would be possible. Sad to see the Lexus go, but I was at a point where I was going to have to commit to buying it out and I was ready for something new. He also built the clear bra and a new set of non-runflat tires into the deal.
From the bottom of my heart, congratulations on your new Mercedes-Benz...I had seen your other thread about the S8/7series etc and I didn't comment, but this is the car to get in the segment. I have a friend who owns one and I have rode in many times, its just sensational.....plus, you get that experience of seeing the 3-pointed start on your hood as you drive down the road...(that must be worth the extra $$$ right there)

There is something just so timeless about this generation of S-class...like the size and design/proportions are just right...no goofy looking front grill....but at the same time...to-me...it has this non-pretentious look to it that looks sedated as it is not so in-your-face...I have always like the exterior daytime LED lights..

What kind of non-run flat tires did you get? My friends S-class came with Goodyear F1 tires.

Did you test drive this particular model? ( I never test drove my new 4Runner)

Will be interesting to hear your thoughts on the turbo motor...start-stop technology...or MB user interface.....no more full-size spare tire...

It is also interesting how you replaced your final MY LS from the previous generation Lexus with a final MY year Mercedes from an outgoing platform,...I guess it goes to show you how all the experts on here with their new engine tech and features stuff have no idea what buyers really want....sometimes you buy what you really want...I did with my new 21 4Runner

Lastly, it will be interesting to watch your experience (good and bad) with this car...and the Mercedes brand........I often hear that it is very hard to let go of the Mercedes experience once you try it.............so here's to you .......again congratulation Steve....The Best or Nothing

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 11-21-20 at 10:08 AM.

Quick Reply: Well, its the end of an era....traded my LS460L in on a Mercedes S560