Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Subaru (apparently) explains why the new BRZ is not turbocharged.

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-20, 09:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Subaru (apparently) explains why the new BRZ is not turbocharged.

For those griping about the new BMZ not being turbocharged, Subaru has explained several reasons why it is not, among them cost, price, vehicle center-of-gravity, and complexity. Here is the write-up, although I will note that some of this is a third-party source and not necessarily directly from the company's mouth....some of it is apparently from company sources.

(for the images, click on the link......there are too many of them for the database to post)

https://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-ne...-ar190327.html

A turbocharged Subaru BRZ sounds nice, but there are costs attached to it, too

by Kirby Garlitos, on November 20, 2020, 14:00Visually, the second-generation Subaru BRZ is a major departure from its predecessor. It’s also packing a bigger 2.4-liter engine, which counts as an answered prayer to everyone who wanted the new BRZ to pack more power than the first-generation model.

The 2.4-liter four-cylinder mill is still naturally aspirated, bursting the bubble of those who wanted the new BRZ’s engine to be turbocharged. As disappointing — for some — as that sounds, Subaru had reasons for sticking with a naturally aspirated engine.

Read More:

WHAT’S ALL THE FUSS ABOUT?

Calls for more power sat at the heart of Subaru’s objective for the new BRZ, and the automaker addressed that in a satisfactory fashion.
The new BRZ is now powered by a larger 2.4-liter horizontally opposed, naturally aspirated four-cylinder engine that produces 228 horsepower and 184 pound-feet of torque.The new output represents an increase of 23 horsepower and 28 pound-feet of torque, which is great news for people who wanted more oomph out of the BRZ. The automaker even managed to keep the new BRZ’s weight just slightly above what the first-generation model weighed. With a weight of just 2,815 pounds, the new BRZ is just 17 pounds heavier than the model it’s replacing.
All of these point to a more performance-focused sports car, and the masses should be rejoicing, right? Well, the new BRZ still isn’t turbocharged, and a lot of people are curious as to why that’s the case.

WHY ISN’T THE NEW SUBARU BRZ NOT TURBOCHARGED?

In a nutshell, Subaru explained that turbocharging the new BRZ would’ve led to a lot of compromises on other areas of the car that could’ve compromised the performance gains it would’ve otherwise had.

Subaru decided against using the turbocharger because it would’ve raised the car’s center of gravity by a significant amount. Sure, we’re talking about a few centimeters, but even that plays a huge role in altering a car’s handling and performance. Subaru had a decision to make: fit a turbocharger and coax more power out of the FA24 engine or get rid of the turbocharger and keep the sports car’s center of gravity right where it’s supposed to be.
Beyond that choice, adding a turbocharger also has consequences for Subaru’s bottom line. More importantly, a turbocharged engine would increase the cost of development, and increased cost in that department would mean a higher price tag for the people. That would move the BRZ away from its identity as an affordable and lightweight sports car that handles like a fine Subie.

WILL THIS QUELL THE COMPLAINTS FROM THOSE WHO WANT A TURBOCHARGER?

Probably not, but that’s what the aftermarket industry is for. It’s easy to be an armchair quarterback and criticize Subaru for the compromises it made and didn’t make with regards to the next-generation BRZ. But the automaker made these decisions based on what it thought would be best for the sports car and the people that would eventually buy it.

There’s no perfect formula to building a perfect sports car anyway, and even with all the difficult choices it had to make, Subaru managed to roll out a new and improved BRZ that, for now at least, is leaps and bounds better than its predecessor.
2022 Subaru BRZ specifications Engine 2.0-liter flat-four Horsepower 228 HP Torque 184 LB-FT Transmission six-speed manual/six-speed automatic Weight 2,815 pounds (manual)/2,881 pounds (automatic)Source: Road & Track

Old 11-21-20, 04:54 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the price point and the design of the car, it just makes sense. I can initially recall being disappointed that it wasn't AWD. I got over it.
Old 11-21-20, 05:57 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Makes sense. Keep the car affordable
Old 11-21-20, 01:12 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,224 Likes on 910 Posts

It's likely faster around a track anyway without it, if they add one it will require a lot of cooling revisions as people have found to prevent oil thinning after a few laps and that means more coolers and weight. If it heat soaks that makes it even slower, think M5 competition vs a camaro SS on track
Old 11-21-20, 03:33 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

I don’t care about turbo but I wish they got Yamaha involved to make this engine rev to 8k rpm and sound good.

Also want them to offer a Perf Package with Brembos, lowered suspension and aero kit.
This will come in later years im sure in special edition variants.
Old 11-21-20, 04:09 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

That article could have just said answered that entire question with a single word.... Zupra

Old 11-22-20, 05:04 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
I don’t care about turbo but I wish they got Yamaha involved to make this engine rev to 8k rpm and sound good.

Also want them to offer a Perf Package with Brembos, lowered suspension and aero kit.
This will come in later years im sure in special edition variants.
It does seem like there would be interest in such a performance package. I'll be interested in the sales numbers. Both the BRZ and the WRX have been up for 4 to 5 months, IIRC, following consistent declines (more so the BRZ). Which suggests to me that people who were bored at home pulled the trigger on something more fun.
Old 11-22-20, 03:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

^^^^ Ha...good point. Maybe the editors are making too many coffee-breaks LOL.
Old 11-23-20, 10:17 AM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

The new H.P & weights are very close to The 1st year (1997) Porsche Boxster specs.
Old 11-24-20, 03:19 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

doesn't look like the kit would weigh a lot. (kits replace the exhaust)...but whatever

Last edited by bagwell; 11-24-20 at 03:37 PM.
Old 11-24-20, 05:19 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

^
Slapping on a turbo is just the beginning.

The engine internals need to be upgraded to make it reliable. You need proper cooling for engine and trans. Then you need to update suspension, brakes, tires etc to match the additional power. Altogether you are looking at about 300lbs + of weight added and at least $5k higher in price.

Before i traded in my BRZ - I really thought about boosting it but its not worth all the hassle.

These engines are only reliable if kept NA. Subaru engines in general dont do well when tuned just look STIs blowing up left and right.

The BMW engines (especially inline 6) have very strong internals that can handle higher boost levels than stock within reason.
Old 11-24-20, 06:00 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 495 Likes on 430 Posts

For the driving enthusiasts it makes sense, think Miata....How many of you have tracked a Miata? You'd really be surprised what your all missing or learning. I drove a couple of the early ones, so once you got going, & figured the different lines & marks, your out there having fun....Its no fun spinning out a C-5,6,7 Vette.....If your looking for a great street car= a C5-7 will do 'ya......I find it great that it's not turboed...So you have to row some gears.
Old 11-26-20, 05:04 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
These engines are only reliable if kept NA. Subaru engines in general dont do well when tuned just look STIs blowing up left and right.
And I'm really happy with my WRX in bone stock condition. Great fun on a track day. At the same time, my lifetime fuel economy average is 32.4 MPG.
Old 11-26-20, 07:00 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
And I'm really happy with my WRX in bone stock condition. Great fun on a track day. At the same time, my lifetime fuel economy average is 32.4 MPG.
is that hand calculated or by the car's computer? most times the car's computer is a little enthusiastic on MPG.
Old 11-26-20, 07:03 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bagwell
is that hand calculated or by the car's computer? most times the car's computer is a little enthusiastic on MPG.
The computer...which is definitely a little more generous than doing the math on your own.

Quick Reply: Subaru (apparently) explains why the new BRZ is not turbocharged.