Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Want to row your own gears in a new vehicle? Here are the ways to still do it

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-20, 04:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts
Default Want to row your own gears in a new vehicle? Here are the ways to still do it

Here's a useful site for those who still want to row their own gears, with a traditional 3-pedal manual transmission, in the American market, with a brand-new vehicle. It is dated June an July of this year, so it is several months old, although, since then, the Fiat 124 Spyder has been dropped.

As one would suspect, for passenger cars, it is pretty much (but not totally) limited to ponycars, entry-level compacts/minicars, and sports cars. The first part here is a slide-show presentation, so I couldn't copy/post.

Bitkahuna: You probably won't like this: There are some images of leather shift-boots LOL.

https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...smission-cars/

.....and here's list of the SUVs that still offer them.

https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...nsmission-suv/

Every Crossover and SUV You Can Still Buy with a Manual Transmission

The number of SUVs and crossovers with a shift-for-yourself option dwindles further.

BY JOEY CAPPARELLA
JUL 21, 2020

CAR AND DRIVER

The field of crossovers and SUVs available with a manual transmission continues to shrink. Stick-shifts are disappearing from the market left and right, with models such as the Jeep Compass, Mini Countryman, and Mitsubishi Outlander Sportgoing all-automatic recently. That leaves behind only a handful of options for those seeking a tall vehicle that isn’t a pickup truck that also has a row-your-own transmission. We’ve gathered every new crossover and SUV—and the specific trim levels on each that come with the human-shifted transmission—that still offer a stick.

Ford Bronco

MARC URBANO

CAR AND DRIVER

Trim levels available with a manual: Base, Big Bend, Black Diamond, Outer Banks

Ok, so maybe it's a stretch to say you can currently buy a new Bronco with a manual, since this revived off-roader isn't slated to arrive at Ford dealerships until spring 2021. But the revived Bronco is so exciting that we felt it merited inclusion here—and the fact that you can get it with a manual transmission is just a cherry on top. The Bronco's stick-shift is a seven-speed unit, with Ford referring to the first gear as a creeper gear. It's only offered with the standard turbocharged 2.3-liter inline-four and not the twin-turbo 2.7-liter V-6 upgrade engine, and as of now Ford says the manual can't be had with the off-road-oriented Sasquatch package. But who are we to complain?

Hyundai Venue

HYUNDAI

Trim levels available with a manual: SE

The tiny Venue joined Hyundai's SUV lineup for 2020, serving as an entry-level crossover model that starts below $19,000. The base SE trim, which costs $18,490, comes standard with a six-speed manual transmission and a 1.6-liter inline-four engine with 121 horsepower. Upgrading to the higher trim levels to get more equipment necessitates a switch to the decidedly less interesting continuously variable automatic transmission (CVT), but at least the base trim comes in fun colors such as the Green Apple hue pictured here.

Jeep Wrangler

CHRIS AMOS
CAR AND DRIVER

Trim levels available with a manual: Sport, ****** Sport, ******, Sport S, Sport Altitude, Sahara Altitude, Rubicon

Many versions of the Jeep Wrangler come standard with a six-speed manual transmission. (We've tested a base Sport, pictured above, so equipped, as well as a Rubicon.) The Wranglers that miss out on the fun of a clutch pedal are those equipped with any of the optional powertrains, including the eTorque hybrid system, the turbocharged 2.0-liter inline-four, or the turbo-diesel 3.0-liter V-6, all of which are automatic-only. The standard 3.6-liter gasoline V-6—the only engine offered with the manual—can also be had with the same eight-speed automatic as the turbo four, but what’s the fun in that?

Kia Soul

KIA

Trim levels available with a manual: LX

The boxy Kia Soul was redesigned for 2020, and we think it looks better than ever. We also appreciate that it still offers a manual gearbox, although only on the base LX trim level. While the Soul with the six-speed manual doesn't come with as much equipment as the higher trim levels, it does start at a remarkably affordable $18,610 for 2021. Its 2.0-liter inline-four engine provides 147 horsepower; unfortunately, the more powerful turbocharged 1.6-liter engine offered in the Soul GT-Line comes only with a dual-clutch automatic transmission.

Subaru Crosstrek

MICHAEL SIMARI

CAR AND DRIVER

Trim levels available with a manual: Base, Premium

The rugged-looking Crosstrek, Subaru’s littlest crossover, comes standard with a six-speed manual transmission in base guise. Step up to the Premium and you can keep that manual transmission and get heated seats and a leather-wrapped steering wheel for the affordable price of $24,345 for 2021. All manual Crosstreks use a 2.0-liter inline-four with 152 horsepower. All-wheel drive is standard on every Crosstrek, and those not keen on shifting for themselves can opt for a continuously variable automatic transmission; it’s included on the upper trims, including the new-for-2021 Sport model with its more powerful 2.5-liter engine.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-24-20 at 04:13 PM.
Old 11-24-20, 04:19 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

I have two friends who both own Crosstreks. One I think a 2016 and that has the CVT, and the other is 2019 with manual. The manual really helps the anemic 2.0 over the CVT version. The 2.5 wasn't available at the time when they purchased their cars.
Old 11-24-20, 04:22 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,629 Likes on 1,037 Posts

I really miss driving a manual. I would have gotten the manual in the Tacoma if it were available with the long bed. I've toyed with the idea of picking up a used BRZ just so I can have a fun, manual car.
Old 11-24-20, 04:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I have two friends who both own Crosstreks. One I think a 2016 and that has the CVT, and the other is 2019 with manual. The manual really helps the anemic 2.0 over the CVT version. The 2.5 wasn't available at the time when they purchased their cars.

Did you get to sample the CVTs? Due to their limitless ratios, CVTs, when operating as true (not stepped) CVTs, are hyped as being more efficient than manuals, and they do seem to deliver excellent fuel mileage. But my experience with them is that, particularly with older ones, they tend to motorboat (high RPMs with delayed throttle-response) and sometimes rubber-band (uneven/elastic response). The last Crosstrek I sampled, a few years ago (I was helping an ex-co-worker shop for one) was a classic motor-boat CVT. He liked, it, though, and took it home.
Old 11-24-20, 05:27 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I really miss driving a manual. I would have gotten the manual in the Tacoma if it were available with the long bed. I've toyed with the idea of picking up a used BRZ just so I can have a fun, manual car.
Pick up the new one - the additional power / torque will make it much more enjoyable.
I may pick one up once they start releasing the STI or special editions. These cars will retain their value very well as they will probably be last JDM NA manual sport coupes.
Old 11-24-20, 06:26 PM
stasek
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

I still see something like a Miata or maybe BRZ manual in my not too distant future. Always enjoyed driving a stick...
Old 11-24-20, 10:16 PM
GS3Tek
Forum Moderator

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

There's also the new 400Z, may be coming out next year.
Old 11-25-20, 08:38 PM
winterturb
Lead Lap

Received 169 Likes on 100 Posts

My 16 year old son sold his IS250 to buy a scion FRS just to experience the manual. I taught him to drive it when we got it home. It took just under 9 minutes for him to learn the stick. That’s it. he was on his own after a whopping 9 minutes.

A cop friend of mine was in the clinic today and told me he was following my son around to see how he was driving and was absolutely impressed as the only time he applied the brakes was to come to a full and complete stop and even then it was just prior to the stop when he braked. The kid is gearing down to corner and stop. Whohoo that’s when driving is fun.

it’s truly a blast to drive a rear wheel drive manual on slippery roads and for those of you looking at BRZ’s do it they are fun cars to drive

i replaced a 1996 911 twin turbo with an ISF and the BRZ/FRS may be the most fun of the three cars to drive. It’s an absolute hoot.
Old 11-25-20, 08:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by winterturb
My 16 year old son sold his IS250 to buy a scion FRS just to experience the manual. I taught him to drive it when we got it home. It took just under 9 minutes for him to learn the stick. That’s it. he was on his own after a whopping 9 minutes.
Congratulations to your son.....yes, sounds like he learned quickly. Didn't take me very long to learn a stick, either, except that I learned back in the days before synchros were standard on first gear on all MT cars, and got a couple of crunch-surprises here and there while downshifting into first.

it’s truly a blast to drive a rear wheel drive manual on slippery roads
Not if you slide into something and crack it up.

Old 11-25-20, 10:49 PM
LX5280
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

The 717HP Challenger HellCat with a 6-speed manual seems like it would be too much fun, scary fun. With the $7170 Horsepower Rebate currently offered + an additional dealer discount you could find them for up to $10K off msrp a couple months ago. I've been thinking of one, just waited too long and now there are no new 2020's around, if they extend the Horsepower Rebate to 2021's then it will be very tempting.
Old 11-26-20, 05:08 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Did you get to sample the CVTs? Due to their limitless ratios, CVTs, when operating as true (not stepped) CVTs, are hyped as being more efficient than manuals, and they do seem to deliver excellent fuel mileage. But my experience with them is that, particularly with older ones, they tend to motorboat (high RPMs with delayed throttle-response) and sometimes rubber-band (uneven/elastic response). The last Crosstrek I sampled, a few years ago (I was helping an ex-co-worker shop for one) was a classic motor-boat CVT. He liked, it, though, and took it home.
I have zero complaints about the CVT in the outback. Really simulates gears nicely. For someone who has been driving a stick for 18 years, I often don't realize that it isn't a conventional automatic. So a decent CVT can be done IMO.

Regarding the MT, I'll be curious as to the take rate on the Bronco.
Old 11-26-20, 06:23 AM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 309 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
It is available with the long bed, in one very specific configuration. TRD Sport Access Cab 6' bed V6 4x4 6MT. Change any one of the words in that long string and the combo goes away.
Old 11-26-20, 08:54 AM
winterturb
Lead Lap

Received 169 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall

Not if you slide into something and crack it up.
nothing in life is fun if you crack it up. In the mean time learning to drive a rear wheel drive car on slippery roads with LSD blizzaks and traction control is a whole lot better than learning to do it in a f150 with a 400 bald tires and one wheel drive like I had to. Crack ups were all but inevitable then.

we have no choice but to drive on slippery roads and learning to do so safety is a lot of fun, even more so in a capable car like an FR-S

our past time is to head out to the frozen lake and let her rip.no lines no rules no obstacles No better way to learn how a car ‘feels’ and much safer than drifting in a port parking lot
Old 11-26-20, 05:58 PM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 309 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by GS430inSC
Thinking of selling the 4 banger Civic for a Mustang GT.
I have always preferred a naturally aspirated engine to a turbo, plus this is a 5.0 V8. I just wish it came with a 5 speed Tremec.
The 2019-2020 GT350/GT350R and the 2021 Mach 1 both come with a 6-speed Tremec. T-6060 to be exact.

Edit: Correction, it’s the 3160 not the 6060.

Last edited by geko29; 11-27-20 at 03:11 AM.
Old 11-26-20, 10:53 PM
LX5280
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
The 2019-2020 GT350/GT350R and the 2021 Mach 1 both come with a 6-speed Tremec. T-6060 to be exact.
Yes, really looking forward to seeing the Mach 1, getting the nice Tremec from the GT350 and not the Getrag from the GT.

The others ones I'm very curious about are the new CT4-V and CT5-V Blackwings, both will have Manual options, also Tremec

Last edited by LX5280; 11-26-20 at 10:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Want to row your own gears in a new vehicle? Here are the ways to still do it