Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai/Kia recalls and lawsuits

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-20, 08:12 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
But Hyundai wasn’t gonna do that....Hyundai and the government disagreed
As I stated a couple of posts ago, there are other ways to enforce that disagreement.
Old 12-05-20, 10:58 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

IMO they (Hyundai/KIA) needed more than a slap on the wrist to get them to act. I don't know if I would call this a government money-grab, but it was a much-needed wake up call. Personally I'm happy for those affected by the recall, they finally have a solution.
Old 12-05-20, 09:27 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Why not some more?

Kia is recalling 295,000 U.S. vehicles over risks of engine fires

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/12/05/kia-...ine-fires.html
Old 12-05-20, 10:36 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Like clockwork, every few months there is another round of engine fire recalls for these two brands. This has been going on for years, which by now is obvious and ridiculous.
I would still avoid this brand, as they have clearly cut corners that compromise people's safety.
Old 12-05-20, 10:44 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

These aren't new. This is the same batch of cars with the Theta II that have been recalled since 2015. The issue in dispute has been the rollout of the recalls, not the manufacturing defects themselves which we've been aware of for years.
Old 12-06-20, 06:23 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Like clockwork, every few months there is another round of engine fire recalls for these two brands. This has been going on for years, which by now is obvious and ridiculous.
I would still avoid this brand, as they have clearly cut corners that compromise people's safety.
There will be more. The recalls are now happening to the Genesis models...g80 g90 recall The scary thing is that there are so many recalls revolving around fires. (they are all from different causes too)

most recently there are:
-connecting rod failures causing a fire
-turbo charger leaks that cause a fire
-ABS component leaks that cause a fire

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-06-20 at 06:36 AM.
Old 12-06-20, 09:18 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

There will be more. The recalls are now happening to the Genesis models...g80 g90 recall The scary thing is that there are so many recalls revolving around fires. (they are all from different causes too)

most recently there are:
-connecting rod failures causing a fire
-turbo charger leaks that cause a fire
-ABS component leaks that cause a fire

Fires can, and do, happen with any brand. A neighbor of mine had a fairly new Toyota Tundra pickup that went up like a torch on the D.C. Beltway....he got stopped and out just in time, with minor burns...the truck was was totalled.
Old 12-06-20, 10:23 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Fires can, and do, happen with any brand. A neighbor of mine had a fairly new Toyota Tundra pickup that went up like a torch on the D.C. Beltway....he got stopped and out just in time, with minor burns...the truck was was totalled.
You don't even need anecdotal evidence to find fires for any brand. Let's not forget, in the same year Hyundai started the Theta II recalls, Toyota also had their own massive (and very bizarre) fire recall for some 7 million cars:

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a1...tch-fire-risk/

As for engine-related recalls? They aren't so innocent either. New cars, and from this year alone:

https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2...-engines.shtml
https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2...vehicles.shtml

As I've been saying since Toyota's massive fuel pump recall earlier this year, using recalls as an excuse to dismiss any brand for reliability is simply not understanding what a recall is. Recalls are preventative measures. Not every vehicle being recalled is defective. Otherwise you would see it being translated to sites like Consumer Reports, which actually measure how widespread issues are.

Without recalls, here's the alternative:

https://www.freep.com/story/money/ca...ce/1984894001/

Last edited by Motorola; 12-06-20 at 10:27 AM.
Old 12-06-20, 01:44 PM
F1Driver
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm a bit confused. Hyundai/Kia rate so high on J.D. Power surveys (according to their supposed owners) so how can these engine fires be so rampant?
Old 12-06-20, 02:30 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by F1Driver
I'm a bit confused. Hyundai/Kia rate so high on J.D. Power surveys (according to their supposed owners) so how can these engine fires be so rampant?
I'm not sure but it could be that the number of cars that actually had fires is small in comparison to the total number sold, so owners who didn't have a fire are satisfied with their particular Hyundai/Kia.
Old 12-06-20, 03:00 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by F1Driver
I don’t think JD captures opinions at the 5+ year of ownership. The fine was issued to Hyundai for 2011-2014 models.
Old 12-06-20, 07:11 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,331 Likes on 1,057 Posts

I bought a 2016 Kia Optima SX 2.0 Turbo for my Daughter in College 2 years ago. The car has 51k on the GDI Turbo Motor which I more worried about GDI problems more than the crank shavings. Have changed the Oil frequently with Pennzoil GDI spec Oil. Also only use the KIA Factory filter which BTW is the heaviest filter of any car I have ever seen. I knew about the KiIA metal shavings problem although.... not until after I bought the car.

Had no problems with it so far at all. Got a letter from KIA about 9 months ago that they wanted to do a updated limp mode protection Flash to the ECM. Asked me if I would agree to bring it in? If I agreed they offered a Lifetime Warranty on the engine. I knew about the metal shavings problem although not until after I bought the car.

So I took it in for the Update Flash and Lifetime Warranty. I really like the car, but will see what happens. A few weeks ago got a recall for the ABS Brake system to bring in, I did and got it done. Now gotta check to see if the Fire recall is something I need to get done. Or if the ABS was related to the Fire problem.
Old 12-19-20, 10:18 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

https://driving.ca/hyundai/auto-news...ection-engines
Old 01-09-21, 02:59 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

More Hyundai recalls for potential cruise control stalks that might burn the car to the ground....don’t park in the garage warnings

https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/...o-park-outsideHyundai is adding about 471,000 SUVs to a September U.S. recall for an electrical short in a computer that could cause fires. And the company is warning owners to park the SUVs outdoors until they are repaired.
Old 01-10-21, 03:48 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

There seems to be a whole lot of satisfied Kia and Hyundai owners out there, including the three Kias my brother has owned, for (supposedly) all of these vehicles either catching fire or being a potential fire risk. MeThinks there is a lot of fire-hype here, with little substance.

Having said that, of course, it certainly doesn't hurt to have one's vehicle checked, and, if necessary, repaired, particularly if the company is willing to do it under recall or warranty.

Quick Reply: Hyundai/Kia recalls and lawsuits