Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai/Kia recalls and lawsuits

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-22, 07:16 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
What, to look at reliability surveys instead of biased anecdotes?

If you can find the millions of Hyundais and Kias with engine failures that you claim exist, I would love to see them.
You know I have access to resources like identifix that I can easily pull failure rates and common issues with cars from nearly any maker and year from every single repair center across the world right? I also have lines with salvage yard networks across the whole country and when I ask them what engines they move the most of it's without fail Kia/Hyundai and Chrysler with VW nipping at their heels......you can ask my part suppliers their relative volume per-brand vs number of cars on the road and it paints a very interesting picture......

They fail a hell of a lot more than most other brands. They are nowhere close to Lexus Toyota, I, right now CAN'T get a replacement engine for a lot of their cars even if I wanted to pay double since so many are needed to drop into them due to FAILURES, on the flip side most Toyota engines and Trans are borderline scrap price for aluminum for weight......is that enough actual real world info for you? I'll keep fixing them but let me tell you trends are a thing, Kia is right inline with cheap GM in terms of quality and issues but with the cruse of worse parts networking.
Old 04-29-22, 07:20 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Its obvious to anyone with common sense that Hyundai/Kia are nowhere near Toyota quality when it comes to the engines.
Old 04-29-22, 07:27 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
You know I have access to resources like identifix that I can easily pull failure rates and common issues with cars from nearly any maker and year from every single repair center across the world right? I also have lines with salvage yard networks across the whole country and when I ask them what engines they move the most of it's without fail Kia/Hyundai and Chrysler with VW nipping at their heels......you can ask my part suppliers their relative volume per-brand vs number of cars on the road and it paints a very interesting picture......
If you have data, please show it. Like I said, personal anecdotes alone are a sample size of 1.

You're also far from the only mechanic that exists, even mechanic-oriented sites who have pooled data from mechanics like RepairPal favor the Koreans.

Old 04-29-22, 08:14 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

If you have data, please show it. Like I said, personal anecdotes alone are a sample size of 1.

You're also far from the only mechanic that exists, even mechanic-oriented sites who have pooled data from mechanics like RepairPal favor the Koreans.

Do you own one or something? You seem to be desperately defending them

The chart you linked is useless, parts cost for and labor times for Kias are cheap and more owners defer a hell of a lot of maintenance. Toyota owners tend to spend too much on maintenance and are more likely to spend money on their more expensive cars than the typical buyers of kias. Just go to your local shops and ask what they think of the brand, it will be a nearly totally uniform response.
Old 04-29-22, 08:16 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

That doesn't tell the whole story. Fire-risk and excessive oil consumption isn't always going to require a shop visit. What about all the millions of Kia/Hyundai owners who don't want to get the main issue fixed so instead dump a quart of oil in their cars every 700 miles?

Also when an engine blows up it's not going to the shop to get fixed.
Old 04-29-22, 08:25 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Do you own one or something? You seem to be desperately defending them

The chart you linked is useless, parts cost for and labor times for Kias are cheap and more owners defer a hell of a lot of maintenance. Toyota owners tend to spend too much on maintenance and are more likely to spend money on their more expensive cars than the typical buyers of kias. Just go to your local shops and ask what they think of the brand, it will be a nearly totally uniform response.
No, but I do like the brands and I get quite tired of unsubstantiated allegations that they're garbage cars from people who have no data to back it up. Also, it's common courtesy to respond to posts quoting me.

You can literally see the average repair costs on the chart, so I don't know what you're getting at. Toyota, Honda, and Mazda are all on average cheaper to repair/maintain than the Koreans. And considering RepairPal is an aggregate of multiple independent shops, that's far more useful than any one shop mechanic.

That doesn't tell the whole story. Fire-risk and excessive oil consumption isn't always going to require a shop visit. What about all the millions of Kia/Hyundai owners who don't want to get the main issue fixed so instead dump a quart of oil in their cars every 700 miles?

Also when an engine blows up it's not going to the shop to get fixed.
So look at Consumer Reports and JD Power then, which are owner assessments rather than mechanic shops.

Whichever assessment you choose, the Koreans are always in the top tier. Not Toyota level, but far ahead of most others.

Last edited by Motorola; 04-29-22 at 08:29 PM.
Old 04-29-22, 08:57 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

No, but I do like the brands and I get quite tired of unsubstantiated allegations that they're garbage cars from people who have no data to back it up. Also, it's common courtesy to respond to posts quoting me.

You can literally see the average repair costs on the chart, so I don't know what you're getting at. Toyota, Honda, and Mazda are all on average cheaper to repair/maintain than the Koreans. And considering RepairPal is an aggregate of multiple independent shops, that's far more useful than any one shop mechanic.

So look at Consumer Reports and JD Power then, which are owner assessments rather than mechanic shops.

Whichever assessment you choose, the Koreans are always in the top tier. Not Toyota level, but far ahead of most others.
Then why don't you have one if they are so good?
Old 04-29-22, 09:05 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Then why don't you have one if they are so good?
Interesting how you're trying to make it personal about me because you have no rebuttal to the data, but I'll answer. It's because my life doesn't revolve around making a new car purchase every couple of years, nor do I possess that level of wealth to do so. But they will definitely be in consideration once this supply chain mess ends.

Either way, whether I buy one doesn't change the fact that they continue to be one of the most reliable brands out there. Personal experiences and anecdotes, from anonymous individuals online no less, have zero weight in the real world.
Old 04-29-22, 09:09 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,266 Likes on 1,765 Posts

It's funny how people keep using Scotty as some sort of super anti-Hyundai/Kia advocate when he recommends them behind only Toyota, Honda, and Mazda.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hBwkA4SSSo

Of course that doesn't make his advice or opinions any less worthless.
Scotty is at his best when he's had his cup of meth. That or he's the best method actor in North America
Old 04-29-22, 09:14 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Scotty is at his best when he's had his cup of meth. That or he's the best method actor in North America
I see what you did there.
Old 04-29-22, 09:15 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,060 Likes on 2,572 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Why not both?
Old 04-29-22, 09:18 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Why not both?
Sure, why not both! Speaking about actors, go Johnny Depp!
Old 04-29-22, 09:20 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

I see what you did there.
😝😉😏🤣😁😎😄

Old 04-29-22, 09:29 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

Why do you guys have an issue with Scotty?
Old 04-29-22, 09:29 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by xjokerz
Why do you guys have an issue with Scotty?
I don't, I find him very entertaining. I wouldn't use him as a data source, but I do love watching his channel

Quick Reply: Hyundai/Kia recalls and lawsuits