Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai/Kia recalls and lawsuits

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-21, 10:33 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,959 Likes on 2,493 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
MeThinks there is a lot of fire-hype here, with little substance.
Tell that to the families that have lost people they love. This is not "hype" it's a real thing and dangerous or sadly even deadly. The most important thing is the problem is 100% preventable hence the recall.
Old 01-10-21, 04:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Tell that to the families that have lost people they love. This is not "hype" it's a real thing and dangerous or sadly even deadly. The most important thing is the problem is 100% preventable hence the recall.
Come on. I never said there were no real fires. I have KNOWN people who have had vehicle fires....one of them an otherwise-reliable Toyota Tundra (fortunately, he survived wth only minor injuries). What I said, and I repeat, was that the actual chances of having one is quite low. And I also stand by my statement that there are a lot of satisfied Kia and Hyundai owners out there, with a lot more being added every day....they did not get to be the huge successful corporation they are for nothing.
Old 01-10-21, 04:14 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Come on. I never said there were no real fires. I have KNOWN people who have had vehicle fires....one of them an otherwise-reliable Toyota Tundra (fortunately, he survived wth only minor injuries). What I said, and I repeat, was that the actual chances of having one is quite low. And I also stand by my statement that there are a lot of satisfied Kia and Hyundai owners out there, with a lot more being added every day....they did not get to be the huge successful corporation they are for nothing.
Hyundai fire are very real...appears to be something Hyundai really struggles with

2020 Genesis on fire 🔥

Old 01-10-21, 04:20 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Come on. I never said there were no real fires. I have KNOWNpeople who have had vehicle fires....one of them an otherwise-reliable Toyota Tundra (fortunately, he survived wth only minor injuries). What I said, and I repeat, was that the actual chances of having one is quite low. And I also stand by my statement that there are a lot of satisfied Kia and Hyundai owners out there, with a lot more being added every day....they did not get to be the huge successful corporation they are for nothing.
You are very obviously trying to minimize what is going on, the above in bold sounds like PR from Hyundai.
Old 01-10-21, 04:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
According to the article, they haven't even determined the cause of that fire...and it was noted that there were propane tanks nearby. I would agree, though, that there is at least a chance that it could (?) be related to the Hyundai engine-fires.
Old 01-10-21, 04:31 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Hyundai says to park the affected cars outside that is 100% them admitting they are dangerous.
Old 01-10-21, 04:32 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

If you actually read the article you would know that there were zero injuries. These fires have to do with the ABS modules (which are from a third party supplier), not the Theta II engine from a decade ago.
Old 01-10-21, 04:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Hyundai says to park the affected cars outside that is 100% them admitting they are dangerous.

True to an extent, but also consider that there is usually a lot less potential oxygen (which every fire needs to keep burning) inside a tightly-closed-garage. Steve himself had an outdoor-fire experience with a vehicle a few years ago.

Of course, outside, I'll admit, there are usually fewer chances of flammable things close to a vehicle than you will sometimes find in a garage....paint-containers, cardboard boxes, flammable-liquids, etc.....

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-10-21 at 04:37 PM.
Old 01-10-21, 04:36 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Motorola
If you actually read the article you would know that there were zero injuries. These fires have to do with the ABS modules (which are from a third party supplier), not the Theta II engine from a decade ago.
I was talking about Kia (the article posted), which Hyundai owns a good chunk of.
True to an extent, but also consider that there is usually a lot less potential oxygen (which every fire needs to keep burning) inside a tightly-closed-garage. Steve himself had an outdoor-fire experience with a vehicle a few years ago.
Plenty of oxygen to fuel a fire and spread, it is far safer to have the car away from as many combustibles as possible. What would you rather have your car burn or it and your entire house burn.
Old 01-10-21, 04:37 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Of course, outside, I'll admit, there are usually fewer chances of flammable things close to a vehicle than you will sometimes find in a garage....paint-containers, cardboard boxes, flammable-liquids, etc.....
mmarshall...Hyundai is implying to not park in the garage so you don’t burn the entire house down
Old 01-10-21, 04:39 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

The most current recall has to do with cruise control stalks.
Old 01-10-21, 04:43 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

I was talking about Kia (the article posted), which Hyundai owns a good chunk of.
The article is talking about the Hyundai Tucson.

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The most current recall has to do with cruise control stalks.
Please take the time to read the articles you link.

The latest recall covers certain model-year 2016 through 2018, and additional 2020 through 2021, Hyundai Tucson SUVs. The vehicles have antilock brake system computers that can malfunction internally and cause an electrical short. That can lead to a fire.
Old 01-10-21, 04:51 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Please take the time to read the articles you link.
My mistake
Old 01-10-21, 04:52 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

I responded to mmarshall where he said, "Kia and Hyundai owners" the former having claimed lives due to fire.
Old 01-10-21, 04:54 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I responded to mmarshall where he said, "Kia and Hyundai owners" the former having claimed lives due to fire.
I think most people just connect both KIA and Hyundai together like they would Chevrolet and GMC.

Quick Reply: Hyundai/Kia recalls and lawsuits