Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai/Kia recalls and lawsuits

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-22, 06:58 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,959 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
No issues. Many vehicles are like that today......they have a electronic button or tab for the parking brake, and you engage it yourself.
Actually most cars with an electronic parking brake like you describe engage and release it for you. Every car I have had with one has engaged it for you and released it for you... Its an odd design choice for it not to do that.
Old 05-19-22, 01:21 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Actually most cars with an electronic parking brake like you describe engage and release it for you. Every car I have had with one has engaged it for you and released it for you... Its an odd design choice for it not to do that.
I can’t remember. 1996 Cadillac I think auto disengaged. But manually engaged. My fathers car broke in the on position I think. Or it was the other way around
Old 05-19-22, 01:29 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 491 Likes on 391 Posts

No issues. Many vehicles are like that today......they have a electronic button or tab for the parking brake, and you engage it yourself.
I have an issue M&M (or, at least a question). One purpose of an emergency brake is to give the driver a "last ditch" method to stop the car in case of brake failure. With the old, manual emergency brake, one could modulate the braking force to meet the need, to bring the vehicle to a stop. What happens with a modern automatic emergency brake in the case of brake failure? Does one simply press the button and say "hail Mary" three times?
Old 05-19-22, 02:02 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,225 Likes on 910 Posts

It requires integration/is a little more expensive. That's why it doesn't have it
Old 05-19-22, 02:04 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Wilson2000
I have an issue M&M (or, at least a question). One purpose of an emergency brake is to give the driver a "last ditch" method to stop the car in case of brake failure. With the old, manual emergency brake, one could modulate the braking force to meet the need, to bring the vehicle to a stop. What happens with a modern automatic emergency brake in the case of brake failure? Does one simply press the button and say "hail Mary" three times?
Just hold it to the on position, it will just keep extending and try and stop the car. At least that's what my Audi and 460 do.....the former then proceeded to complain the EPB needed recalibrated.
Old 05-19-22, 02:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,959 Posts

The issue here is its not an "emergency brake" its a "parking brake". it is actually not designed for any use when driving whatsoever.
Old 05-19-22, 02:30 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
It requires integration/is a little more expensive. That's why it doesn't have it
Baloney. It's electronic and entirely software controlled. It was a conscious decision for them to not have it.

EDIT: Reading from EV6 owners, it does engage the parking brake automatically when you put it into park, but only if you have auto brake hold turned on. So it does have it.

Last edited by Motorola; 05-19-22 at 02:46 PM.
Old 05-19-22, 04:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Yes, that will be the case in something like a top-line flagship LS or S560, but the great majority of electronic parking brake-buttons/tabs are manual-operated by other the driver or the front passenger. The actual cable-release mechanism is electrically-operated, but you have to actuate it...unless you have something like an S-class that does everything for you except hand you your coffee LOL.
Old 05-19-22, 04:42 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

...unless you have something like an S-class that does everything for you except hand you your coffee LOL.
Most new Toyotas automatically engage and then disengages the parking brake. I’d be surprised if your Buick doesn’t do the same…
Old 05-19-22, 04:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

You're correct, Wilson...with an electronic system, at least the ones I've seen, it's basically all-or-nothing. I myself don't particularly like not being able to modulate the system, but that's basically the way it is designed today.

But, admittedly, there are also some advantages to the electronic E-brakes. First, anyone can use them, even wth weak arms/shoulders/hands....the old pull-up levers on the console could be over-tightened by one driver, and then the next driver might not have the strength to release it. Second, the old straight-cable mechanisms, with no electronics, slackened and got loose over time and with wear on the rear brake-linings....service people had to periodically take up that slack and adjust it. (The general recommendation was two or three clicks on the ratchet-handle to had the vehicle). Third, it could be more difficult to hold the vehicle to the point where it would not move if you were on a hill...you had to pull the lever up more tightly. The electronic system takes care of that.
Old 05-19-22, 04:47 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Motorola
Baloney. It's electronic and entirely software controlled. It was a conscious decision for them to not have it.

EDIT: Reading from EV6 owners, it does engage the parking brake automatically when you put it into park, but only if you have auto brake hold turned on. So it does have it.
That's because most of their lineup is cheap. They will not integrate it on a cheap car like a sonata
Old 05-19-22, 04:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Most new Toyotas automatically engage and then disengages the parking brake. I’d be surprised if your Buick doesn’t do the same…
Nope. Cadillacs might do that for you, but Buicks, even the Lacrosse, have a standard GM part # pull-push tab for the E-brake....behind the shift lever. You push it one way to release it and push it the other way to engage it. A red PARK light on the dash verifies when it is on.

Old 05-19-22, 04:55 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Nope. Cadillacs might do that for you, but Buicks, even the Lacrosse, have a standard GM part # pull-push tab for the E-brake....behind the shift lever. You push it one way to release it and push it the other way to engage it. A red PARK light on the dash verifies when it is on.

Got to love the GM parts bin special
Old 05-19-22, 04:57 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

You're correct, Wilson...with an electronic system, at least the ones I've seen, it's basically all-or-nothing. I myself don't particularly like not being able to modulate the system, but that's basically the way it is designed today.

But, admittedly, there are also some advantages to the electronic E-brakes. First, anyone can use them, even wth weak arms/shoulders/hands....the old pull-up levers on the console could be over-tightened by one driver, and then the next driver might not have the strength to release it. Second, the old straight-cable mechanisms, with no electronics, slackened and got loose over time and with wear on the rear brake-linings....service people had to periodically take up that slack and adjust it. (The general recommendation was two or three clicks on the ratchet-handle to had the vehicle). Third, it could be more difficult to hold the vehicle to the point where it would not move if you were on a hill...you had to pull the lever up more tightly. The electronic system takes care of that.
You still need to adjust the electronic system, it's not immune to it and it's harder to tell if it's holding the car well.

Also on the topic of Toyota having a auto system you can thank the 460 for that
Old 05-19-22, 04:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The issue here is its not an "emergency brake" its a "parking brake". it is actually not designed for any use when driving whatsoever.

Years ago, with the old pull-up lever between the seats, aggressive drivers would yank it up and crank the steering wheel when they wanted to show off and drift on slick surfaces. But, of course, most of us, most of the time, act like adults.

Quick Reply: Hyundai/Kia recalls and lawsuits