Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai/Kia recalls and lawsuits

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-22, 07:12 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I. He still loves it though..
My brother LOVES his Pallisade. Says it’s the greatest car he’s even had. Also has a Sienna 2015. Don’t think the Pallisade was recalled. Has a Large 3.8L V6..gotta give Hyundai props for that

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 10-17-22 at 07:42 PM.
Old 10-17-22, 07:44 PM
F1Driver
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JDR76
I have to say that I like many of the Hyundai/Genesis/Kia products, myself almost buying a Stinger, had the dealer been able to secure me one. With that said, these recalls do concern me and I'm not sure that I would buy one at this point. My neighbor bought a beautiful G80 only to have to park it outside for months waiting for the recall. He still loves it though. Hopefully they get it all sorted out soon.
Highly doubt it will be sorted out soon considering that it has been an ongoing problem (e.g. potential fire recalls EVERY year since 2015).

As long as people continue to buy their crap Hyundai/Kia/Genesis will continue to issue recalls for potential fires.
Old 10-17-22, 07:45 PM
F1Driver
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
My brother LOVES his Pallisade. Says it’s the greatest car he’s even had. Also has a Sienna 2015. Don’t think the Pallisade was recalled. Has a Large 3.8L V6..gotta give Hyundai props for that
Oops! Spoke too soon:

https://www.cars.com/research/hyunda...-2022/recalls/
Old 10-17-22, 08:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
No joke I just had someone call me at 11pm with a 16 Sonata that isn't charging so likely an alternator.
Alternator? Yes, likely, but not necessarily. Alternators in most vehicles run on belts. A 2016 vehicle is almost 7 years old now, and, if a lot of miles are on it for that age, the belt could (?) be worn and/slipping, allowing RPMs and output of the alternator to underperform. A belt is obviously a lot easier and cheaper to replace than an Alternator.
Old 10-17-22, 08:33 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,225 Likes on 910 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Alternator? Yes, likely, but not necessarily. Alternators in most vehicles run on belts. A 2016 vehicle is almost 7 years old now, and, if a lot of miles are on it for that age, the belt could (?) be worn and/slipping, allowing RPMs and output of the alternator to underperform. A belt is obviously a lot easier and cheaper to replace than an Alternator.
It was a failed alternator, I actually have yet another one in today that is using over 1.5 quarts of oil in 1000 miles or less. 2014 this time with various other small issues but nothing too major since it's only at 110k miles so the failed engine is all that is wrong
Old 10-18-22, 06:13 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,959 Posts

I'm going to assume you didn't take that shot, Steve. I suspect it is a doctored image...but, if so, the person who doctored it was quite well-skilled.
I didn't, but it doesn't surprise me. For a long time one of the carwashes here refused to wash Grand Cherokees because of a news story where a Grand Cherokee "ran out of control" through a carwash and killed people. I know because I had Grand Cherokees and they wouldn't wash them. Even when they started to they left the hazards on and a worker rode through the carwash in it, only Grand Cherokees.
Old 10-18-22, 10:19 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm going to assume you didn't take that shot, Steve. I suspect it is a doctored image...but, if so, the person who doctored it was quite well-skilled.
Why do you suspect it was doctored? Hyundai/KIA issued recalls advising owners not to park indoors, so I wouldn't be surprised if I saw signs like this in local parking garages (though I haven't, so far).
Old 10-18-22, 10:22 AM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 943 Likes on 593 Posts

Originally Posted by F1Driver
The car can go on fire because of the circuit board for the TOW HITCH?! And I thought the Hyunkias bursting into flames while shut off because of the anti-lock brake modules were something.
Old 10-18-22, 10:24 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Maybe the garage in question had a Hyundai Palisade light on fire? That could be the reason why they have that sign

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 10-18-22 at 10:33 AM.
Old 10-18-22, 10:30 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I didn't, but it doesn't surprise me. For a long time one of the carwashes here refused to wash Grand Cherokees because of a news story where a Grand Cherokee "ran out of control" through a carwash and killed people. I know because I had Grand Cherokees and they wouldn't wash them. Even when they started to they left the hazards on and a worker rode through the carwash in it, only Grand Cherokees.
A coworker of mine from a few years back had a 2015ish Grand Cherokee Summit. She mentioned one incident where she put the car into Park, but the car started rolling and she couldn't get it to stop until she took the car out of gear and put it back into Park a few times. She had her daughter in the car with her at the time. She traded it in for a Forester shortly after that, because the GC had chronic air suspension issues, and this event was the last straw for her.
Old 10-18-22, 10:41 AM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 943 Likes on 593 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
Look, more anecdotes lol.

If they "dodged the issue" where are all the Hyundai's and Kia's blowing up left and right? I've asked you time and again to provide statistical evidence and you produce only anecdotes..
Since you insisted the evidence had to be "statistical," here's some from the United States Government:

5 engine families implicated
6 model years
8 recalls of 8.4 million vehicles across 20 models
1 million failure-prone engines
161 confirmed complaints of engine fires
$43 million in remedies levied against Kia and agreed to without a contest

Source: US News
https://www.usnews.com/news/us/artic...ures-and-fires
Old 10-18-22, 11:09 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
For a long time one of the carwashes here refused to wash Grand Cherokees because of a news story where a Grand Cherokee "ran out of control" through a carwash and killed people. I know because I had Grand Cherokees and they wouldn't wash them. Even when they started to they left the hazards on and a worker rode through the carwash in it, only Grand Cherokees.
Interesting you should say that. There may be some credibiity to that JGC-No-Wash policy. Several years ago (I don't recall how many), that same thing happened at a carwash down the street from my house. I wasn't there to see it, but, from the stories I got from local businesses there, a Jeep supposedly went out of control while coming out of the wash, bounded directly across a 4-lane highway and its divided concrete median, and into a Shell station across street, taking out a brand-new electronic gas-pump that the station had just installed. (it had to be replaced again...took several months). Fortunately, there was no fire or explosion at the station like in the movies, and, as far as I know, no collisions on the highway, which was an extreme stroke of luck because that highway is a crowded major local artery. It was either a Cherokee or a JGC that suddenly jumped forward.....don't recall exactly.

Still, that incident must have resulted in some pretty-good-sized insurance claims and liability. I wouldn't have wanted to have faced those bills.

That old carwash, BTW, has since been town down and replaced my a new multilevel carwash/Chix Fillet/parking lot

And, in fact, come to think of it, actor Anton Yeltsin was killed when his Grand Cherokee lurched out of park from a poorly-designed shift lever.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-18-22 at 11:13 AM.
Old 10-18-22, 11:23 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexFinally
Since you insisted the evidence had to be "statistical," here's some from the United States Government:

6 model years

It was announced today that it will cost Hyundai $2 billion for the engine recalls.

https://www.reuters.com/business/aut...it-2022-10-18/
Old 10-18-22, 11:35 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,959 Posts

Originally Posted by sm1ke
A coworker of mine from a few years back had a 2015ish Grand Cherokee Summit. She mentioned one incident where she put the car into Park, but the car started rolling and she couldn't get it to stop until she took the car out of gear and put it back into Park a few times. She had her daughter in the car with her at the time. She traded it in for a Forester shortly after that, because the GC had chronic air suspension issues, and this event was the last straw for her.
Thats that odd gearshift lever, they did away with that in I believe 2019 or 2017.

Interesting you should say that. There may be some credibiity to that JGC-No-Wash policy. Several years ago (I don't recall how many), that same thing happened at a carwash down the street from my house. I wasn't there to see it, but, from the stories I got from local businesses there, a Jeep supposedly went out of control while coming out of the wash, bounded directly across a 4-lane highway and its divided concrete median, and into a Shell station across street, taking out a brand-new electronic gas-pump that the station had just installed. (it had to be replaced again...took several months). Fortunately, there was no fire or explosion at the station like in the movies, and, as far as I know, no collisions on the highway, which was an extreme stroke of luck because that highway is a crowded major local artery. It was either a Cherokee or a JGC that suddenly jumped forward.....don't recall exactly.

Still, that incident must have resulted in some pretty-good-sized insurance claims and liability. I wouldn't have wanted to have faced those bills.

That old carwash, BTW, has since been town down and replaced my a new multilevel carwash/Chix Fillet/parking lot.
It was operator error, I'm sure.
Old 10-18-22, 12:39 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFinally

6 model years

Going out of your way to dig up a post I wrote half a year ago. lol.

You literally reinforced the very point I was making earlier in the thread. Read the numbers you posted- 161 confirmed complaints of engine fires... out of the 8.4 million recalled vehicles. 161/8.4 million- tell me, is that statistically significant?

The recent DCT recall was far more significant than this. 229 incidents out of 122,000 vehicles, with a stop sale to boot. Of course, recalls for anything catching on fire no matter how statically insignificant and with zero affect on any reliability ranking are what the people in this thread are fixated on lol.

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
It was announced today that it will cost Hyundai $2 billion for the engine recalls.

https://www.reuters.com/business/aut...it-2022-10-18/
The article says it's because they offered an unlimited warranty on those engines after a lawsuit, so anyone with a busted engine no matter how old can get it replaced for free.

Last edited by Motorola; 10-18-22 at 12:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Hyundai/Kia recalls and lawsuits