Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai/Kia recalls and lawsuits

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-21, 09:09 AM
TRDRAV4
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got into a newer Hyundai, not the fanciest one. It has a 6 speed and not a DCT that is problematic, but yeah, there is a few issues with the paint, but I'm not sweating it. Other than that, I made sure I bought it CPO so that it has the rest of the 10 year warranty. Yeah a lot of the newer Hyundais have a lot of tech and in the past few years, reliability dipped unfortunately, but I'm not afraid of mine since it is more fun to drive than my previous Toyota. Just have to find the right models to buy and not make assumptions of every car. I would have no hesitation going with a Veloster N. I can always go buy another Toyota as a second car if anything goes awry.
​​​​​​
Old 02-21-21, 09:05 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Hyundai recall investigation

I am happy to see a news outlet doing their part for the community.

But there is some scary stuff going on with Hyundai and their fires.

'My car's on fire': Drivers fear for their safety as years-long recall rollout drags

"I'm driving on the 407, and I notice that my foot is on the gas pedal but I'm getting nothing," she said. "This thing is coming fast to a halt and I'm in the middle of the highway.

"I'm immediately thinking, 'Is this how my life ends?'"
Old 02-22-21, 12:20 AM
F1Driver
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default More Hyundai SUVs Recalled Due to Fire Risk

The Details

Vehicles recalled: Hyundai Tucson SUVs from the 2016 through 2021 model years, and Kia Stinger sedans manufactured from June 21, 2018, through July 9, 2019.

The problem: In Hyundai vehicles, a defective circuit board within the ABS system may short-circuit, which could cause a fire. In a statement to NHTSA, the automaker said this may be related to a quality-control problem from the supplier that manufactured the circuit board. Kia is still investigating the cause of fires in Stinger sedans, but it may be related to a problem with the hydraulic electronic control unit.

http://www.consumerreports.org/car-r...les-fire-risk/
Old 02-22-21, 02:56 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by F1Driver

The Details

Vehicles recalled: Hyundai Tucson SUVs from the 2016 through 2021 model years, and Kia Stinger sedans manufactured from June 21, 2018, through July 9, 2019.
/
Wow. Didn’t know Stinger was recalled as well.
Old 02-22-21, 12:35 PM
F1Driver
Advanced

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Wow. Didn’t know Stinger was recalled as well.
What I don't get is how Hyundai/Kia still rank very high on J.D. Power and Consumer Reports surveys. Someone is being paid off.
Old 02-22-21, 03:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

What I don't get is how Hyundai/Kia still rank very high on J.D. Power and Consumer Reports surveys. Someone is being paid off.

No one is getting paid off.....you've been watching too many conspiracy-theories. For the last two decades or so, Hyundais and Kias have earned it in build-quality and solid construction, especially compared to the sub-standard products they once gave us. So they have an engine recall. Recalls happen to even the best of automakers.
Old 02-22-21, 03:54 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

It's hilarious to accuse Consumer Reports, a non-profit organization, of being "paid off." Does that mean Toyota and Lexus are also paying them off to stay on top?
Old 02-22-21, 09:35 PM
F1Driver
Advanced

Originally Posted by mmarshall
No one is getting paid off.....you've been watching too many conspiracy-theories. For the last two decades or so, Hyundais and Kias have earned it in build-quality and solid construction, especially compared to the sub-standard products they once gave us. So they have an engine recall. Recalls happen to even the best of automakers.
Correction, it is not AN engine recall but MULTIPLE recalls. I can see one or two recalls for different models but these recalls affect half of their entire lineup covering multiple model years? What gives??? Their engine designs are flawed from the get go?

https://www.thecarconnection.com/new...gine-fire-risk

Investigating Hyundai and Kia recalls | CBC.ca
Old 02-22-21, 09:47 PM
F1Driver
Advanced

Originally Posted by Motorola
It's hilarious to accuse Consumer Reports, a non-profit organization, of being "paid off." Does that mean Toyota and Lexus are also paying them off to stay on top?
Sorry, Mazda cut a bigger cheque to CR and therefore they're at the top ahead of Toyota/Lexus: Consumer Reports’ most reliable vehicle brands in 2020 | Car News | Auto123

You have to question CR's ulterior motive when a Tesla (Model 3) gets top picks: 10 Top Picks of 2021: Best Cars of the Year - Consumer Reports
Old 02-22-21, 10:22 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Sorry, Mazda cut a bigger cheque to CR and therefore they're at the top ahead of Toyota/Lexus: Consumer Reports’ most reliable vehicle brands in 2020 | Car News | Auto123

You have to question CR's ulterior motive when a Tesla (Model 3) gets top picks: 10 Top Picks of 2021: Best Cars of the Year - Consumer Reports
Oh yeah, Tesla is definitely paying off CR when their brand was ranked 25 out of all 26 when it came to reliability in your very same link.

Newsflash: recalls =/= reliability, and assessments that don't affirm your personal brand biases aren't conspiracy theories. I don't need to regurgitate the first few posts of this thread again and again.
Old 02-23-21, 01:18 AM
F1Driver
Advanced

Oh yeah, Tesla is definitely paying off CR when their brand was ranked 25 out of all 26 when it came to reliability in your very same link.

Newsflash: recalls =/= reliability, and assessments that don't affirm your personal brand biases aren't conspiracy theories. I don't need to regurgitate the first few posts of this thread again and again.
But ... but Tesla received Top Picks of 2021!!! One of the criteria for Top Picks is reliability. Isn't that a contradiction??

Recalls do not equate to reliability??? Recalls go to show just how unreliable Korean engineering is.
Old 02-23-21, 01:35 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

But ... but Tesla received Top Picks of 2021!!! One of the criteria for Top Picks is reliability. Isn't that a contradiction??

Recalls do not equate to reliability??? Recalls go to show just how unreliable Korean engineering is.
It received the top pick for an electric car. If you can name a better electric car, be my guest. Otherwise, you're free to wallow in "???!!!" spamming in your sea of conspiracy theories about why brands you don't like get objectively good rankings.

By the way, Toyota and Lexus had a massive 7-million strong recall a few months ago for cracked fuel pumps that led to stalling engines while driving. A few months before that, there was a recall for several tens of thousands brand new cars for warped engine blocks. Guess they aren't a reliable brand anymore because they had massive recalls and clearly paid off non-profit Consumer Reports to be on top.
Old 02-23-21, 01:52 AM
F1Driver
Advanced

It received the top pick for an electric car. If you can name a better electric car, be my guest. Otherwise, you're free to wallow in "???!!!" spamming in your sea of conspiracy theories about why brands you don't like get objectively good rankings.
Did you missed the part about reliability being a part of the criteria for top picks? And I believe you misunderstood my sarcasm for "conspiracy theories".

By the way, Toyota and Lexus had a massive 7-million strong recall a few months ago for cracked fuel pumps that led to stalling engines while driving. A few months before that, there was a recall for several tens of thousands brand new cars for warped engine blocks. Guess they aren't a reliable brand anymore because they had massive recalls and clearly paid off non-profit Consumer Reports to be on top.
So, you're comparing engines stalling or warped engine blocks to be as serious as engines catching fire???

Hey, if you have so much faith in Hyundai/Kia go right ahead and buy yourself a Hyundai/Kia. Happy BBQing:

Old 02-23-21, 01:59 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Did you missed the part about reliability being a part of the criteria for top picks? And I believe you misunderstood my sarcasm for "conspiracy theories".
So, you're comparing engines stalling or warped engine blocks to be as serious as engines catching fire???

Hey, if you have so much faith in Hyundai/Kia go right ahead and buy yourself a Hyundai/Kia. Happy BBQing
Really? I detected zero sarcasm in your accusations of Consumer Reports being bribed.

And you didn't answer my inquiry. If you can name a better electric car than the Tesla Model 3, be my guest.

Oh yes, and deciding that you want to have your engine die on you while going 70 mph is probably not a much better fate than having your car start smoking. It's up to you how you want to die. Glad you agree that Toyota is now an unreliable brand that clearly bribed CR to get to the top according to your very own critera.
Old 02-23-21, 02:57 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Hey, if you have so much faith in Hyundai/Kia go right ahead and buy yourself a Hyundai/Kia. Happy BBQing
even Hyundai EVs are catching fire. GM has chimed in and commented on their battery packs being different from Hyundai

Hyundai EV 🔥

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-23-21 at 03:09 AM.

Quick Reply: Hyundai/Kia recalls and lawsuits