Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai/Kia recalls and lawsuits

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-23, 03:51 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,959 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I take it you mean the Sedona minivan.
Yep...

Worst car I have ever had? Tie between the 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee and 2017 Chrysler Pacifica
Old 02-24-23, 05:11 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I've had a lot of cars, and the Kia I had was nowhere near the worst car I have had.
KIAs and Hyundais are not the worst cars out there . But there is absolutely no denying they are made with defects to the engines. I know of there’s people who’ve had to have their engines replaced. From that aspect, not good

But seriously….the Palisade had to have its towing hitch recalled because the hitch might catch fire.
Old 02-24-23, 06:16 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,376 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Had a 15 Kia Optima SXL, a 16 Optima SX, and a 20 Optima SX. All 2.0T engines. Wife and Daughters. Kia sent a letter to update the ECU for protection and gave a Lifetime warranty on the 15 & 16 engines. I always changed the oil with Pennzoil Platinum, and used only the Kia Factory filter as I only do factory filters on all my cars. Changed oil at 6.5k - 7k. Zero engine problems. The 15 was hit and totaled with 97K.

Back at the recall on the Hyundai/Kia Owners forums, it was noted that on complains originally from owners about engine problems to Hyundai/Kia. About 71% of owners could not provide documents of 7.5k oil change service receipts. It was very obvious that they were not doing oil and filter services as they were suppose to. Yes I am likely more aware of the crank shavings problems in detail than most they had also.

With that, I am about to sooner or later, (sooner), buy a Genesis G70 3.3T Sport that is recording 0-60 Times at 4.4 - 4.5secs Stock. Don't know if I will keep my GS as a daily or sell it. I will put a very long warranty on the G70, as I always do with everything I buy. Just waiting on the over-inflated car prices to come down so more. Point is.... the Hyundai cars bashing is just unrealistic, and bothers me none to buy a new one. Lexus unfortunately does not make a car I want right now.
Old 02-24-23, 07:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Yep...

Worst car I have ever had? Tie between the 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee and 2017 Chrysler Pacifica
Did your JGC have that ****-ed up shifter that killed Anton Yelchin? I don't remember.
Old 02-24-23, 07:52 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by jgscott
Had a 15 Kia Optima SXL, a 16 Optima SX, and a 20 Optima SX. All 2.0T engines. Wife and Daughters. Kia sent a letter to update the ECU for protection and gave a Lifetime warranty on the 15 & 16 engines. I always changed the oil with Pennzoil Platinum, and used only the Kia Factory filter as I only do factory filters on all my cars. Changed oil at 6.5k - 7k. Zero engine problems. The 15 was hit and totaled with 97K.

Back at the recall on the Hyundai/Kia Owners forums, it was noted that on complains originally from owners about engine problems to Hyundai/Kia. About 71% of owners could not provide documents of 7.5k oil change service receipts. It was very obvious that they were not doing oil and filter services as they were suppose to. Yes I am likely more aware of the crank shavings problems in detail than most they had also.

With that, I am about to sooner or later, (sooner), buy a Genesis G70 3.3T Sport that is recording 0-60 Times at 4.4 - 4.5secs Stock. Don't know if I will keep my GS as a daily or sell it. I will put a very long warranty on the G70, as I always do with everything I buy. Just waiting on the over-inflated car prices to come down so more. Point is.... the Hyundai cars bashing is just unrealistic, and bothers me none to buy a new one. Lexus unfortunately does not make a car I want right now.
It’s good to informed both good and bad. My sister and brother have one each, they love their Palisade and Telluride. My other brother lost both his cars. And a friend had her KIA engine replaced. Word of mouth. Best car at the Toronto Auto show was by far the KIA Telluirde
Old 02-24-23, 08:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I Best car at the Toronto Auto show was by far the KIA Telluirde
What makes you give it the award? You simply liked it the best? Or you felt it was the most significant vehicle there? Or it drew the biggest crowds?

Also, did you get any shots of the new Encore GX while you were there? I'm waiting for a chance to see it myself when it is released later this spring.
Old 02-25-23, 06:46 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,458 Likes on 1,612 Posts

I mean look at all the crap on here about how German cars are such a disaster based on old and anecdotal information that isn't true.
exactly. out of date lazy assessments are easy for people to spout to 'justify' their choices.

You're missing out on a lot of good vehicles by being that way...
we live in a time of unprecedented abundance, variety, quality and safety. the whole "not as good as the old days" is ridiculous.

Originally Posted by EZZ
No kidding. My co-worker just got a new Kia EV6 and i got a ride in it! I was very impressed. It felt SOLID and very quick and was really quiet.
nice!

Originally Posted by jgscott

would not be surprised if you're right that lack of maintenance is what's killed a lot of hyundai engines, just like the toyota/lexus v6 'sludge' problem was clearly due to not changing the oil.

With that, I am about to sooner or later, (sooner), buy a Genesis G70 3.3T Sport that is recording 0-60 Times at 4.4 - 4.5secs Stock.
awesome, GREAT car.

Did your JGC have that ****-ed up shifter that killed Anton Yelchin? I don't remember.
hyperbole much? i had a jgc with that shifter and loved it. the only way it could 'kill someone' is if they weren't paying attention to make sure it showed the car is in park before getting out. not that hard!

yelchin must have been in a rush or just not paying attention. very unfortunate but the car or shifter didn't kill him.

It’s good to informed both good and bad. My sister and brother have one each, they love their Palisade and Telluride. My other brother lost both his cars. And a friend had her KIA engine replaced. Word of mouth. Best car at the Toronto Auto show was by far the KIA Telluirde
interesting... although obviously not your opinion.

perhaps you think they should come with free fire extinguishers.
Old 02-25-23, 07:09 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,959 Posts

KIAs and Hyundais are not the worst cars out there . But there is absolutely no denying they are made with defects to the engines. I know of there’s people who’ve had to have their engines replaced. From that aspect, not good

But seriously….the Palisade had to have its towing hitch recalled because the hitch might catch fire.
It depends on the engine. They make SOME engines that have those issues, and others don't.

I have had numerous recalls of vehicles I have owned because something "might start a fire", Toyotas, Fords, Lexuses, etc.

The 2011 was a regular shifter, but my 2014 which was a much better car did.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
hyperbole much? i had a jgc with that shifter and loved it. the only way it could 'kill someone' is if they weren't paying attention to make sure it showed the car is in park before getting out. not that hard!

yelchin must have been in a rush or just not paying attention. very unfortunate but the car or shifter didn't kill him.
I also had a Jeep with that shifter and I 100% understand how it killed him, it was absolutely a design flaw. The issue is you could shift it into Park (or any gear) and have it not engage, and it would default to neutral. So, shove up and maybe not hold it there long enough or something and not realize it didn't engage park and its in neutral. Happened to me when driving the Jeep all the time.

On top of that, when the door was opened there was no failsafe which engaged park. So, I 100% see how he quickly threw it in park, park did not engage and it went to neutral, he got out of the car and there was no failsafe which put it in park when the door was opened in neutral, and the mass held it there for a second enough so he had no idea anything was wrong, and it let go once he was behind it, and he was killed.

If that Jeep had the ordinary shifter my 2011 Jeep had or the new shifter Jeep replaced it with, or if it had a failsafe that would put it in park when a door was opened in neutral, Anton would still be alive.

Its just a poor design, with a n electronic shifter like that its much safer to have a park button or something, and thats what almost all other manufacturers use.

A lot of the confusion comes from not driving the vehicle every day. My wife had no issues with the shifter because thats all she drove, likely same with you. For me I fuddled with it all the time because I only drove the Jeep so often. Anton likely had multiple cars and it was a similar thing.
Old 02-25-23, 07:13 AM
katekebo
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

My daughter has a 2016 KIA Soul. It has been almost trouble-free during the 7 years (one small repair, brake pedal switch $23 in parts, she replaced it herself). I help her with maintenance such as spark plugs change or intake valves cleaning (to remove carbon deposits from direct injection).
My take on KIA/Hyundai is that they are simple, value-oriented vehicles, designed to offer a good balance between cost, performance, practicality, features, reliability and attractive design. They do not excel in any category. They are not intended to beat VW in performance and driving experience. They are not designed to beat Toyota or Honda in reliability or fuel efficiency. They are designed to offer an acceptable compromise in all areas for an attractive cost of ownership and good build quality.
They could be designed to be more reliable, faster or more fuel efficient. But all these things would invariably drive cost higher. Hyundai/KIA doesn't want to be another Toyota or Honda. They want to be a more affordable alternative but with better quality and reliability than Nissan or American brands. And this, combined with outstanding warranty, is exactly what many people want and need.
They built a successful business model based on this balanced approach, and if you are a new car buyer on a budget, Hyundai/KIA are hard to beat.
Old 02-25-23, 08:04 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

A lot of the confusion comes from not driving the vehicle every day. My wife had no issues with the shifter because thats all she drove, likely same with you. For me I fuddled with it all the time because I only drove the Jeep so often. Anton likely had multiple cars and it was a similar thing.
makes sense, and sure, we have to have signs saying "don't eat the [poisonous substance]" warning labels too.

i've learned both my cars automatically go into park if i just hit the start/stop button so i often just do that and don't even bother with the shifter!
Old 02-25-23, 05:55 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 491 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I've updated my personal studies on defective lighting for recent Kia/Hyundai models: Now around 90% of them have non-working brake lights or taillights. I've been tracking this for nine years, and the percentages are climbing each year. This shows, like the engine and fire recalls, the problems have not been addressed and are only growing worse.
I haven't notice this with the Korean vehicles, but I'll pay more attention. On the other hand, I've noticed the phenomenon on Chevy/GM products. It's likely they are simply sourcing cheaper bulbs. However, shouldn't they have a "bulb out" light on the dash to warn the driver? Do Chevy/GM drivers just not care?
Old 02-25-23, 07:47 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I've updated my personal studies on defective lighting for recent Kia/Hyundai models: Now around 90% of them have non-working brake lights or taillights. I've been tracking this for nine years, and the percentages are climbing each year. This shows, like the engine and fire recalls, the problems have not been addressed and are only growing worse.
90% huh?
Old 02-25-23, 08:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Wilson2000
On the other hand, I've noticed the phenomenon on Chevy/GM products. It's likely they are simply sourcing cheaper bulbs. However, shouldn't they have a "bulb out" light on the dash to warn the driver? Do Chevy/GM drivers just not care?
The recent Buicks I've owned do have a warning-light on the dash for inoperative bulbs.
Old 02-26-23, 11:07 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,225 Likes on 910 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilson2000
I haven't notice this with the Korean vehicles, but I'll pay more attention. On the other hand, I've noticed the phenomenon on Chevy/GM products. It's likely they are simply sourcing cheaper bulbs. However, shouldn't they have a "bulb out" light on the dash to warn the driver? Do Chevy/GM drivers just not care?
You think kia is going to give you a bulb out warning for the taillights when they can't even fuse them properly?
Old 02-26-23, 03:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Striker223
You think kia is going to give you a bulb out warning for the taillights when they can't even fuse them properly?

On my brother's 2017 Kia Sportage, it does tell you.....but not directly. If a bulb burns out, it triggers a Master Warning Light, which covers several different functions.

Quick Reply: Hyundai/Kia recalls and lawsuits