Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai/Kia recalls and lawsuits

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-23, 10:27 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

I think most would agree I am a pretty educated car enthusiast/consumer...

I would have zero concern buying a Kia/Hyundai product...
Old 03-18-23, 10:44 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS

I would have zero concern buying a Kia/Hyundai product...
Recalls, repairs get very annoying. Especially when you are used to a brand that doesn’t get recalled. My friends KIA was out of service for 3 months for a engine repair…and they couldn’t get her a engine because of the parts shortage…the engine was defective because it didn’t tell her she was low on oil
Old 03-18-23, 10:49 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Recalls, repairs get very annoying. Especially when you are used to a brand that doesn’t get recalled
I have a Chrysler lol. Recalls don't bother me, because I just have them done when the car is already in for service. Repairs that require the car to go to the dealer outside of routine maintenance are annoying, but all the data points to modern Hyundais and Kias being very reliable. The Kia we had was much more reliable than the Chryslers we have had.

For instance my Mercedes just had a recall done, it was done when it was in the shop for something else.

I have had to deal with recalls of every car I have ever had, including Lexus and Toyota vehicles, and unscheduled repairs for every car I have ever had. I have never had a problem free Lexus or Toyota. In fact, come to think of it, I don't think my Kia ever had any recalls or unscheduled repairs...which would make it one of the only cars I have ever had that didn't...
Old 03-18-23, 02:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

and they couldn’t get her a engine because of the parts shortage…the engine was defective because it didn’t tell her she was low on oil
This is exactly why we need real oil-dipsticks in some of today's engines (that lack them), enough driver/owner education to manually check the oil in the correct manner (on a level surface, engine-cold or after adequate time for the oil to drain down when hot), and hood-struts or springs to help make opening and closing a heavy hood easier for some people.
Old 03-18-23, 02:47 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You just need sensors that work. She would have never checked her oil. My wife is 40 years old and has never checked an oil dipstick in her life.
Old 03-18-23, 03:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

You just need sensors that work. She would have never checked her oil. My wife is 40 years old and has never checked an oil dipstick in her life.

Partly agreed, but sensors can fail. Dipsticks never fail if they are produced/marked correctly and used correctly.
Old 03-18-23, 03:42 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Partly agreed, but sensors can fail. Dipsticks never fail if they are produced/marked correctly and used correctly.
But people don't use them, thats the point, so you have to have sensors too. I would rather have a dipstick, but I'm one of the very few people who check the oil.

And dipsticks DO fail. They get seized in there, theres a member on the LS460 forum right now who cannot pull his dipstick out.
Old 03-18-23, 03:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

theres a member on the LS460 forum right now who cannot pull his dipstick out.
I'm not touching that one LOL
Old 03-18-23, 03:48 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Hahahahaha, I'm impressed!
Old 03-18-23, 04:18 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
my friend who had her KIA Rondos engine replaced had a dipistick. The issue is that the engine is built with defective low oil sensor that would warn that the engine is critically low on oil. . This was the problem for her
Old 03-18-23, 08:08 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,428 Likes on 1,126 Posts

Originally Posted by sm1ke
Well, that is what the thread title would suggest.
Is it me, or are there post on the page you posted this, mentioning Audi's. LS's and others? ok.

Reading these bashings, you would likely not want to buy a Hyundai product then likely buy something thats worst.
Old 03-19-23, 05:28 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 498 Likes on 396 Posts

my friend who had her KIA Rondos engine replaced had a dipistick. The issue is that the engine is built with defective low oil sensor that would warn that the engine is critically low on oil. . This was the problem for her
Another issue...If the oil level gets below one-quart-low between 5K mile oil changes, the engine is burning oil, a major issue in and of itself. The issue of excessive oil consumption coupled with a bad low-oil sensor is a recipe for disaster!

Of my three Toyota and two Lexus vehicles, none become more than a half quart low in 5K miles. So, the only time I pull the dipstick is when checking everything under the hood prior to a road trip. Because Toyota and Lexus vehicles are not prone to burning oil (at least those that have had regular scheduled oil changes), I otherwise don't feel the need to check my Toyota/Lexus dipsticks. This was not the case with the Hondas and one Subaru I owned in the last four decades. They needed to be checked two or three times between oil changes, and routinely required oil to be added.

"I love what you do for me" Toyota (1989–1997 Toyota ad slogan)
Old 03-20-23, 06:07 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by jgscott
Is it me, or are there post on the page you posted this, mentioning Audi's. LS's and others? ok.
Again, read the title. The focus in this thread is supposed to be on Hyundai/KIA, so don't be surprised when people post about Hyundai/KIA. Other manufacturers may be mentioned because some comparisons are being drawn. If posts are clearly off-topic, moderators may step in, but they are humans and they can make errors/miss posts, so if you think there is unwarranted off-topic discussion, report the post and let a moderator handle it.

By the way, reporting recalls as they are released is not "bashing".
Old 03-20-23, 08:09 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Wilson2000
Another issue...If the oil level gets below one-quart-low between 5K mile oil changes, the engine is burning oil, a major issue in and of itself. The issue of excessive oil consumption coupled with a bad low-oil sensor is a recipe for disaster!
)
there are even more issues. Manufacturing defects letting metal shavings inside the engine. Defective sensors. Then there are all the other issues as well like the brake system or rear parking sensors or the rear tail hitch which is just unbelievable IMO.

Originally Posted by Wilson2000
Of my three Toyota and two Lexus vehicles, none become more than a half quart low in 5K miles. So, the only time I pull the dipstick is when checking everything under the hood prior to a road trip. Because Toyota and Lexus vehicles are not prone to burning oil (at least those that have had regular scheduled oil changes), I otherwise don't feel the need to check my Toyota/Lexus dipsticks. This was not the case with the Hondas and one Subaru I owned in the last four decades. They needed to be checked two or three times between oil changes, and routinely required oil to be added.
only our Matrix burns oil. The Matrix rarely sees highway driving. The low pressure light comes on to warn us.

all engines burn oil BTW…some you just don’t notice it as it’s so little. The Hyundai/KIA issues are different as they poorly made
Old 03-20-23, 01:29 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,428 Likes on 1,126 Posts

Originally Posted by sm1ke
Again, read the title. The focus in this thread is supposed to be on Hyundai/KIA, so don't be surprised when people post about Hyundai/KIA. Other manufacturers may be mentioned because some comparisons are being drawn. If posts are clearly off-topic, moderators may step in, but they are humans and they can make errors/miss posts, so if you think there is unwarranted off-topic discussion, report the post and let a moderator handle it.

By the way, reporting recalls as they are released is not "bashing".
Each time you post a response you next move the goal post when I respond back to your next post. My exact point you just mentioned was the comparison of Hyundai products to others who have the same issues and more. You just stated that above in Bold yourself. Very Weird?

Here I'll let JD Powers explain what I'm saying. On this thread Hyundai recalls are bashed. With owners their ratings are well above most major manufactures, they all have major recalls. Yes, yes, yes, Hyundai has recalls. Sorry if you have a problems with my comparisons, but then want to point out comparison yourself. lol!

https://www.cars.com/articles/2022-j...indles-455932/

Quick Reply: Hyundai/Kia recalls and lawsuits