Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai/Kia recalls and lawsuits

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-23, 01:30 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,376 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
there are even more issues. Manufacturing defects letting metal shavings inside the engine. Defective sensors. Then there are all the other issues as well like the brake system or rear parking sensors or the rear tail hitch which is just unbelievable IMO.

only our Matrix burns oil. The Matrix rarely sees highway driving. The low pressure light comes on to warn us.

all engines burn oil BTW…some you just don’t notice it as it’s so little. The Hyundai/KIA issues are different as they poorly made
Do you know why the Hyundai products were burning oil? Are they still burning oil now still? Just asking.
Old 03-20-23, 01:44 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,225 Likes on 910 Posts

Originally Posted by jgscott
Do you know why the Hyundai products were burning oil? Are they still burning oil now still? Just asking.
Yep. It's because they just try and copy Toyota engine designs and have low quality components. Even 2020s are burning oil/having the same issues
Old 03-20-23, 02:12 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Striker223
Yep. It's because they just try and copy Toyota engine designs and have low quality components. Even 2020s are burning oil/having the same issues
You are not the one I asked, but I'll ask you even thought it's trolling? So it's because of defective piston rings not providing the appropriate seal? Yes or no? Now piston rings are not just Toyota technology.

Last edited by jgscott; 03-20-23 at 02:39 PM. Reason: sp
Old 03-20-23, 02:31 PM
katekebo
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

In defense of Hyundai / KIA ...

Hyundai / KIA has been able to create a very successful business model, that allowed them to become the 3rd largest car manufacturer in the world. They must do something right to be one of the fastest growing automotive companies in the world.

Hyundai / KIA emphasis is on value + attractive design. They don't attempt to make the most exciting, fuel efficient, reliable or fastest vehicles. They design and build cars that offer a well-balanced combination of:
- Attractive aesthetics that are modern but not too polarizing, and appeal to a wide range of potential customers. In all fairness, most KIA and Hyundai vehicles look better than Toyotas, both outside and inside.
- Simple, cost effective engineering that delivers reasonably good performance and fuel economy, while keeping initial purchase cost low. Some of it comes at the expense of long-term maintenance costs, but most people don't factor total cost of ownership into purchase decision - initial purchase price has a much higher weight in the decision.
- Affordably packaged features and technology that are typically only available in premium trims of competitive vehicles.
- Excellent initial quality (for the price range)
- Reasonable long term reliability, backed-up by the best warranty that is unmatched by even premium brands.

A lot of Hyundai / KIA reputation comes distant past, when their vehicles were plagued by quality and reliability problems. But they learned the lessons and established a design philosophy that works very well in the market. All-in-all, Hyundal / KIA offers a much better value than most other mass-produced automotive brands. Their initial quality is much better than Ford, GM or Stellantis. Their long term reliability is at least as good as these brands, and better than VW, Fiat and most European brands. Even if Hyundai / KIA reliability is only average, the 5 yrs bumper-to-bumper and 10 yrs powertrain warranty makes up for not having stellar long-term reliability.

If long term reliability was the only criteria to buy a vehicle, nobody would buy a Fiat, VW, Ford or Jeep. But people still buy them because they consider other factors to be at least equally or more important than reliability.

Could Hyundai / KIA design and build vehicles that are as reliable and durable as Toyota? Of course they could. But it would force them to make their cars more expensive and/or cut on many of the features that consumers find attractive. Hyundai / KIA does NOT want to be another Toyota. They found their own right balance of engineering and design criteria that has worked for them very well. As a matter of fact, Hyundai / KIA is growing faster than Toyota. Additionally, they are very forward-thinking company that is investing in future technologies, and in many ways is better prepared for the future than Toyota.

If you can afford one, there is no doubt that Lexus is a better vehicle. But 90% of people can't afford a Lexus, and for those consumers Hyundai / KIA offers excellent, well balanced value-for-money, better than most mass-production brands.
Old 03-20-23, 02:47 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

You are not the one I asked, but I'll ask you even thought it's trolling? So it's because of defective piston rings not providing the appropriate seal? Yes or no? Now piston rings are not just Toyota technology.
They use both substandard rings and primarily a cheap actual piston design with insufficient drainback ports do to the additional machine cost as well as improper support of the oil ring pack.

The rod ratio combined with the short skirts in the name of a cheaper and lighter piston also tends to accelerate bore wear. Look up their history and engines, most of them are licensed version of other makers prior gen engines that they cheapen up. The theta series 4 cylinders and the current generation V6s were the first ones actually designed in house and also set the world record for number of recalls and failed engines.

Their V8 also had a hilarious amount of issues only BMW can exceed with the "exceptional" N62/63 family.

Their cars just rip off the most popular styling trends and have a lot of initial wow factor and that plus the cheap costs to entry get droves of people to buy. The 10/100k warranty is there to draw people in and they will likely use it.
Old 03-20-23, 02:51 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by katekebo
In defense of Hyundai / KIA ...

Hyundai / KIA has been able to create a very successful business model, that allowed them to become the 3rd largest car manufacturer in the world. They must do something right to be one of the fastest growing automotive companies in the world.

Hyundai / KIA emphasis is on value + attractive design. They don't attempt to make the most exciting, fuel efficient, reliable or fastest vehicles. They design and build cars that offer a well-balanced combination of:
- Attractive aesthetics that are modern but not too polarizing, and appeal to a wide range of potential customers. In all fairness, most KIA and Hyundai vehicles look better than Toyotas, both outside and inside.
- Simple, cost effective engineering that delivers reasonably good performance and fuel economy, while keeping initial purchase cost low. Some of it comes at the expense of long-term maintenance costs, but most people don't factor total cost of ownership into purchase decision - initial purchase price has a much higher weight in the decision.
- Affordably packaged features and technology that are typically only available in premium trims of competitive vehicles.
- Excellent initial quality (for the price range)
- Reasonable long term reliability, backed-up by the best warranty that is unmatched by even premium brands.

A lot of Hyundai / KIA reputation comes distant past, when their vehicles were plagued by quality and reliability problems. But they learned the lessons and established a design philosophy that works very well in the market. All-in-all, Hyundal / KIA offers a much better value than most other mass-produced automotive brands. Their initial quality is much better than Ford, GM or Stellantis. Their long term reliability is at least as good as these brands, and better than VW, Fiat and most European brands. Even if Hyundai / KIA reliability is only average, the 5 yrs bumper-to-bumper and 10 yrs powertrain warranty makes up for not having stellar long-term reliability.

If long term reliability was the only criteria to buy a vehicle, nobody would buy a Fiat, VW, Ford or Jeep. But people still buy them because they consider other factors to be at least equally or more important than reliability.

Could Hyundai / KIA design and build vehicles that are as reliable and durable as Toyota? Of course they could. But it would force them to make their cars more expensive and/or cut on many of the features that consumers find attractive. Hyundai / KIA does NOT want to be another Toyota. They found their own right balance of engineering and design criteria that has worked for them very well. As a matter of fact, Hyundai / KIA is growing faster than Toyota. Additionally, they are very forward-thinking company that is investing in future technologies, and in many ways is better prepared for the future than Toyota.

If you can afford one, there is no doubt that Lexus is a better vehicle. But 90% of people can't afford a Lexus, and for those consumers Hyundai / KIA offers excellent, well balanced value-for-money, better than most mass-production brands.
Not buying it. The massive number of problems with virtually every single Hyundai/Kia model since 2010 indicates there are major problems with this company. Dozens and dozens of recalls, thousands of cars set on fire, and millions of cars recalled for various issues.
Old 03-20-23, 02:59 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,959 Posts

Originally Posted by xjokerz
Not buying it. The massive number of problems with virtually every single Hyundai/Kia model since 2010 indicates there are major problems with this company. Dozens and dozens of recalls, thousands of cars set on fire, and millions of cars recalled for various issues.
If Kia/Hyundai buyers were having widespread issues with their cars, they would not be leading in satisfaction and dependability like they are. You focus on each and every negative news item and don't look at the bigger picture.

Here's an article about a probe into Toyota fires, but nobody ever posts these:

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/01/us-i...ire-risks.html

• U.S. auto safety regulators on Monday said they have opened an investigation into nearly 1.9 million Toyota RAV4 sport-utility vehicles over potential fire risks.
  • The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) said the preliminary evaluation looking at 2013-2018 RAV4 vehicles comes after 11 reports of fires.
  • The RAV4 is Toyota’s best-selling vehicle in the United States.
Like I said, I am almost certainly getting a Hyundai/Kia as my next purchase, and I have zero concerns
Old 03-20-23, 03:09 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

They use both substandard rings and primarily a cheap actual piston design with insufficient drainback ports do to the additional machine cost as well as improper support of the oil ring pack.

The rod ratio combined with the short skirts in the name of a cheaper and lighter piston also tends to accelerate bore wear. Look up their history and engines, most of them are licensed version of other makers prior gen engines that they cheapen up. The theta series 4 cylinders and the current generation V6s were the first ones actually designed in house and also set the world record for number of recalls and failed engines.

Their V8 also had a hilarious amount of issues only BMW can exceed with the "exceptional" N62/63 family.

Their cars just rip off the most popular styling trends and have a lot of initial wow factor and that plus the cheap costs to entry get droves of people to buy. The 10/100k warranty is there to draw people in and they will likely use it.
I'm going to pass on you because you apparently have not reviewed the majority of independent tear downs and inspections of the main engine problems. It's actually not much different than newer Toyota and Honda's oil burning problems. You even completely missed the previous #1 Crank shavings defect.

https://www.youcanic.com/toyota-burn...l-consumption/

I'm not at all surprised. That's exactly what I though. You can find hundreds of tear down inspection videos showing the failure points from experts who do know what they are talking about that actually show the internal failures. Really have a nice day, ok.
Old 03-20-23, 03:14 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
If Kia/Hyundai buyers were having widespread issues with their cars, they would not be leading in satisfaction and dependability like they are. You focus on each and every negative news item and don't look at the bigger picture.

Like I said, I am almost certainly getting a Hyundai/Kia as my next purchase, and I have zero concerns
Once they get it in their minds it's a waste of time trying to get them to see the Forest for the Trees.

It's the they, only suck Narrative. My Sister's daughter had a brake line recall for fire for her Honda Accord. Two times no less. lol!
Old 03-20-23, 03:20 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

its crazy. Do I believe that Toyota makes a overall superior car? Yes. Does that mean that Kia and Hyundai make garbage cars? No...if they did their survey results would be in the floor like they are for Chrysler/Jeep/Land Rover etc.

By the way, my Chrysler was towed out of my garage this morning with 20,000 miles on it...so I know a garbage car lol
Old 03-20-23, 03:30 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Mostly engine defects.

But if a car does not have a sensor that lets the driver know the oil in dangerously low...you have a fire risk on your hands.. a very serious issue. Our Matrix burns oil…and we rely on the low oil sensor to tell us in case we don’t check the oil,ourselves

Owners report heavy oil consumption, about a quart every 1,000 miles. The cause happens to be its faulty piston rings that fail prematurely. Drivers have faced oil burning issues from as early as 30,000 miles.Reports of the engine seizing and failing unexpectedly have also been registered. Per the complainants, the car either completely stalls or goes into limp mode. This highlights yet another drawback of the GDI engines. Technicians have found these engines to house a faulty fuel injector system. According to them, excess fuel floods the cylinder causing it to throw a check engine light and force the car into limp mode
https://www.vehiclehistory.com/artic...d-acceleration

]Are they still burning oil now still? ]g.
I am not sure. My friends KIA seems to be ok. She was a little surprised that they reused the starter and alternator...(I always thought they would send those two parts with the new engine) They gave her a loaner, a brand new KIA Optima for the duration...a very nice car BTW...nicer interior than a Camry.

] Just asking.
No worries. I think this thread is interesting as Hyundai and KIA were heavily pushed on this forum for quite a while. I think it provides a little bit of balance on here...keeps some in check

Out of interest. my sister and brother have the 3.8 V6 in the Palisade and Telluride. Both apparently do not have automatic valve adjusters...they have to be done manually. My 4.7 V8 is like that too. Basically late 1990s tech. Pretty old school for Hyundai to still have that. (not a negative)

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 03-20-23 at 04:06 PM.
Old 03-20-23, 04:02 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS

It's easy to have high marks for satisfaction when the owners are coming out of 15-20 year old dying domestics. For the usual type of people who get Hyundai/Kia's anything with all systems working is magic lol!
Old 03-20-23, 04:05 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

I'm going to pass on you because you apparently have not reviewed the majority of independent tear downs and inspections of the main engine problems. It's actually not much different than newer Toyota and Honda's oil burning problems. You even completely missed the previous #1 Crank shavings defect.

https://www.youcanic.com/toyota-burn...l-consumption/

I'm not at all surprised. That's exactly what I though. You can find hundreds of tear down inspection videos showing the failure points from experts who do know what they are talking about that actually show the internal failures. Really have a nice day, ok.
Toyota fixed the issues with mass TSBs and updated piston/ring packs, Hyundai never will. The metal shaving issue is such immense incompetence I didn't think I needed to mention it.

Cope harder? Look you go on and defend them if you want but they are never something I would consider. Sorry you bought one.
Old 03-20-23, 04:09 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Once they get it in their minds it's a waste of time trying to get them to see the Forest for the Trees.

It's the they, only suck Narrative. My Sister's daughter had a brake line recall for fire for her Honda Accord. Two times no less. lol!
They suck since I have worked on nearly a hundred of them now and the lack of quality and the variety of issues as well as recurring problems are laughable next to any other brand I have worked on including BMW. I actually liked them at first but the more I worked on them and saw the issues it lead to me ceasing to recommend them to people.

I used to recommend them a lot since they are always cheaper and have better specs on paper, that stopped when about 5 people who bought them on my recommendation had nothing but endless issues. I now realize why they are always cheaper than the equivalent Toyota/Honda and that's why I warn people away from them.
Old 03-20-23, 05:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

It's easy to have high marks for satisfaction when the owners are coming out of 15-20 year old dying domestics. For the usual type of people who get Hyundai/Kia's anything with all systems working is magic lol!
Thats ridiculous. Everybody I know who has a Hyundai or Kia comes from other brands of quality modern cars. All of them are very happy with them also.

My neighbor who has the new Telluride traded his Q5 in on it and has a Honda Accord. My partner has a Palisade, he’s had Lexuses and Mercedes, Jeeps etc.

Quick Reply: Hyundai/Kia recalls and lawsuits