Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai/Kia recalls and lawsuits

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-23, 05:51 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,225 Likes on 910 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Thats ridiculous. Everybody I know who has a Hyundai or Kia comes from other brands of quality modern cars. All of them are very happy with them also.

My neighbor who has the new Telluride traded his Q5 in on it and has a Honda Accord. My partner has a Palisade, he’s had Lexuses and Mercedes, Jeeps etc.
That is not the norm and you know it lol! Think where most of their sales are made and to what demographics and credit ranges....

Nissan is more restrictive on who they sell to.
Old 03-20-23, 05:57 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,959 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
That is not the norm and you know it lol! Think where most of their sales are made and to what demographics and credit ranges....

Nissan is more restrictive on who they sell to.
You're talking about maybe the absolute bottom barrel inexpensive models, but people who buy Santa Fes and Tellurides and Palisades and Sorrentos etc are not what you describe. Look at @bitkahuna, look at me looking at a Telluride and I had a Kia Sedona, look at my business partner, he has a Palisade. Look at the other members here that have Hyundais and Kias in garages with Lexuses and BMWs etc. Do you think people with poor credit are paying $9K ADMs on Tellurides?

I live in a very affluent area, and I see Hyundais and Kias all over the place and can name 10 people I know, all who make $250k+ who own them.

Bottom line is they make a lot of very compelling vehicles at very reasonable price points.
Old 03-20-23, 06:14 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,376 Likes on 1,090 Posts

its crazy. Do I believe that Toyota makes a overall superior car? Yes. Does that mean that Kia and Hyundai make garbage cars? No...if they did their survey results would be in the floor like they are for Chrysler/Jeep/Land Rover etc.

By the way, my Chrysler was towed out of my garage this morning with 20,000 miles on it...so I know a garbage car lol
Exactly, like what would the actual owners know. Reading undocumented info on the internet is way more informative than a owners experience. Go figure?

BTW: Personally from experience and prior ownership. I think the 3.0 V6 Toyota/Lexus motors were just as bad if not worst. The Oil pressure offices were designed too small. Many don't know the older Camry, Toyota SUV's, ES300 and Lexus SUV's had those motors go bad as early as 70k miles. I also remember when the younger crowd snubbed their nose at a Lexus. Now it's the me too car.
Old 03-20-23, 06:38 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 491 Likes on 391 Posts

Perhaps differences in experiences and anecdotes can partially be explained by those who lease vs those who own long term. The Korean brands might hold up well during a 1-3 year lease term, but fall apart long term. So, a long term owner may have a very different experience than the original owner. Obviously, this would be most true for brands that tend to have more issues as they age.

It's understandable how a mechanic who works on a variety of brands may come to favor some over others. Since I have never worked on a Korean auto, I'm very interested to hear what mechanics have to say about them. I wouldn't expect mechanics to be deceitful: what's to gain? I see their "free advice" as "words of wisdom," straight from the trenches. BUYERS BEWARE!

BTW...Since I first started working on Toyotas in the 80's, I found them easy to maintain and repair compared to other brands.
Old 03-20-23, 06:42 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,960 Likes on 2,494 Posts

Originally Posted by jgscott
BTW: Personally from experience and prior ownership. I think the 3.0 V6 Toyota/Lexus motors were just as bad if not worst. The Oil pressure offices were designed too small. Many don't know the older Camry, Toyota SUV's, ES300 and Lexus SUV's had those motors go bad as early as 70k miles.
Almost always those engines were poorly maintained difference was instead of being able to take neglect and abuse they developed sludge. Hyundai has never made any V6 engine even close to as good as the 1MZ/3MZ and they never will.
Old 03-20-23, 06:45 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Striker223
They suck since I have worked on nearly a hundred of them now and the lack of quality and the variety of issues as well as recurring problems are laughable next to any other brand I have worked on including BMW. I actually liked them at first but the more I worked on them and saw the issues it lead to me ceasing to recommend them to people.

I used to recommend them a lot since they are always cheaper and have better specs on paper, that stopped when about 5 people who bought them on my recommendation had nothing but endless issues. I now realize why they are always cheaper than the equivalent Toyota/Honda and that's why I warn people away from them.
You worked on what on the Hyundai's????? Lets see what you say, if.

I Owned 3 of them, also owned just about every Lexus model from 1993. Every Lexus has had to go to the shop also. I owned in our Family a 2015 Kia Optima SX 2.0T, a 2017, and 2020, all 2.0T Optima's. One, only one had a problem. Highest miles was 147k, had a wastegate actuator fail. Did all the maintenance on time for all. Kia also sent a letter for ALL 3. Gave a LIFETIME Warranty on the engines with Software update mandated. LIFETIME.

I am about to pull the Trigger on a G70 if and when the prices stabilize and come down. I am no Kia Fanboy at all. Lexus neither. There are 10k parts that can fail on any car. Seriously, sounds like you just work on junk in general based on the history of your post. Junk is Junk, when it's not maintained. Then you are going to pivot and say the Owners are stupid and don't know if they have a good experience with their OWNERSHIP??? Really?

I hope you did not charge someone for engine work that Hyundai corp had a lifetime free replacement on the engine. Boy you sure do have Hyundaiphobia. Do yourself a favor and come into 2023. Go to a Dealer and Test drive a KIA, Hyundai, or Genesis. Look at JD Powers. Then provide us with something other that I worked on 100 Mechanic's Special story's. Also tell me what Sucks or another car you know that give's FREE Lifetime warranty Engines? BTW: Did you advise anyone this?

Likely won't think their info is as good.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...r/11214392002/

Old 03-20-23, 06:47 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

BTW: Personally from experience and prior ownership. I think the 3.0 V6 Toyota/Lexus motors were just as bad if not worst. The Oil pressure offices were designed too small. Many don't know the older Camry, Toyota SUV's, ES300 and Lexus SUV's had those motors go bad as early as 70k miles. I also remember when the younger crowd snubbed their nose at a Lexus. Now it's the me too car.
Exactly...

Originally Posted by Wilson2000
Perhaps differences in experiences and anecdotes can partially be explained by those who lease vs those who own long term. The Korean brands might hold up well during a 1-3 year lease term, but fall apart long term. So, a long term owner may have a very different experience than the original owner. Obviously, this would be most true for brands that tend to have more issues as they age.
I also know several people with well over 100,000 miles on their Hyundai/Kia vehicles who are very satisfied.

All cars have more issues as they age.

Bottom line, I have had a ton of Toyota/Lexus vehicles, I have never had a problem free one.

BTW...Since I first started working on Toyotas in the 80's, I found them easy to maintain and repair compared to other brands.
Becoming much more complicated.

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Almost always those engines were poorly maintained difference was instead of being able to take neglect and abuse they developed sludge. Hyundai has never made any V6 engine even close to as good as the 1MZ/3MZ and they never will.
Even properly maintained engines sludged, but I'm going to venture to say that a lot of these Kia/Hyundai engine issues also involve deferred maintenance.
Old 03-20-23, 06:49 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,279 Likes on 1,385 Posts

Let’s keep this thread on topic please
Old 03-20-23, 06:52 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

No they weren't. There were many, many, cases open at Dealers I know, for engines that were fully maintained by the book. At the Lexus Dealers. Oh nooooo. It was Toyota Oil pressure design problem.

Old 03-20-23, 06:55 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

No they weren't. There were many, many, cases open at Dealers I know, for engines that were fully maintained by the book. At the Lexus Dealers. Oh nooooo. It was Toyota Oil pressure design problem.
That V6 wasn't the best design but the 4.0 used in the 4Runner, FJ, and Tacoma is much superior and has shown to last hundreds of thousands of miles without issues. Easily better than something that Kia/Hyundai could design. That isn't even debatable lol
Old 03-20-23, 06:57 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by xjokerz
That V6 wasn't the best design but the 4.0 used in the 4Runner, FJ, and Tacoma is much superior and has shown to last hundreds of thousands of miles without issues. Easily better than something that Kia/Hyundai could design. That isn't even debatable lol
So just like Kia/Hyundai, they had some issues with some engines and had no issues with other engines.

If you maintain a Kia/Hyundai, it will last fine. Will it last 300,000 miles? Debatable....seeing that I would never own a vehicle anywhere close to that mileage I don't really care. Will a modern Toyota engine last 300,000 miles? Also debatable.
Old 03-20-23, 06:59 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

So just like Kia/Hyundai, they had some issues with some engines and had no issues with other engines.
We've talked about this before. Every manufacturer has issues but Kia/Hyundai have had a lot more problems with their engines. You don't hear of 400 or 500k problem-free Kia's or Hyundai's like you do with Toyota's.
Old 03-20-23, 07:01 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,960 Likes on 2,494 Posts

I won't work on any Hyundai not worth the hassle. Good luck getting an engine replaced under warranty.
Old 03-20-23, 07:02 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by xjokerz
We've talked about this before. Every manufacturer has issues but Kia/Hyundai have had a lot more problems with their engines. You don't hear of 400 or 500k problem-free Kia's or Hyundai's like you do with Toyota's.
But again, like I said I would never own a vehicle with that kind of mileage, so why do I care? The absolute longest I would ever own any vehicle is maybe 80-100k miles...and I haven't kept a car that long in many years. I have my old 03 ES300 that my mother drives with 213,000 miles, but thats not problem free...its got problems they just aren't worth fixing.

It makes no sense for me to pay more for a Toyota and still miss out on comfort, design, technology and style to get this concept of "Toyota reliability" that I will never realize because I will trade the car in long before even a marginal car would start to break down.
Old 03-20-23, 07:03 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I won't work on any Hyundai not worth the hassle. Good luck getting an engine replaced under warranty.
I actually also know a Hyundai owner who got his engine replaced under warranty lol

Quick Reply: Hyundai/Kia recalls and lawsuits