Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai/Kia recalls and lawsuits

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-21, 03:02 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
even Hyundai EVs are catching fire. GM has chimed in and commented on their battery packs being different from Hyundai

Hyundai EV 🔥
Ironic considering GM had to recall its own EV's for battery fires.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/11/13/...y-fire-lg-chem
Old 02-23-21, 08:57 AM
F1Driver
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Motorola
Really? I detected zero sarcasm in your accusations of Consumer Reports being bribed.

And you didn't answer my inquiry. If you can name a better electric car than the Tesla Model 3, be my guest.

Oh yes, and deciding that you want to have your engine die on you while going 70 mph is probably not a much better fate than having your car start smoking. It's up to you how you want to die. Glad you agree that Toyota is now an unreliable brand that clearly bribed CR to get to the top according to your very own critera.
You would have detected sarcasm had you not continued to beat your chest while touting the superior reliability of Hyundai/Kia.

A lowly Nissan Leaf is more reliable than any Tesla.

If you think an engine stalling/dying is not a better situation than an engine that catches fire then you have failed the educational system.

Toyota is a unreliable brand? Now, you're just putting words in my mouth. Sorry Hyundai/Kia fanboy, I'd take a Toyota over any Hyundai/Kia or Korean car for that matter any time. Afterall, Kia = Killed in action.
Old 02-23-21, 09:00 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by F1Driver
You would have detected sarcasm had you not continued to beat your chest while touting the superior reliability of Hyundai/Kia.

A lowly Nissan Leaf is more reliable than any Tesla.

If you think an engine stalling/dying is not a better situation than an engine that catches fire then you have failed the educational system.

Toyota is a unreliable brand? Now, you're just putting words in my mouth. Sorry Hyundai/Kia fanboy, I'd take a Toyota over any Hyundai/Kia or Korean car for that matter any time. Afterall, Kia = Killed in action.
Aww, resorting to personal insults now that you've ran out of arguments? How cute.

What I don't get is how Hyundai/Kia still rank very high on J.D. Power and Consumer Reports surveys. Someone is being paid off.
Sure doesn't read like sarcasm to me!
Old 02-23-21, 09:04 AM
F1Driver
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Motorola
Aww, resorting to personal insults now that you've ran out of arguments? How cute.

Sure doesn't read like sarcasm to me!
Son/daughter, quit while you're still ahead. You're fighting a losing battle.
Old 02-23-21, 09:06 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Son/daughter, quit while you're still ahead. You're fighting a losing battle.
"I win, you lose!"

You have literally ran out of things to say and are now simply projecting your own butthurt. It's getting embarrassing, so I'll leave you to your conspiracy-theory fueled sandpit.
Old 02-23-21, 09:07 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,242 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Motorola, exit this thread
Old 02-23-21, 11:45 AM
TRDRAV4
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The recall is a shame, but it didn't change my opinion at all. As a longtime Toyota owner with family that drives multiple Lexus products, I purchased a CPO Elantra Sport manual, which I chose over a Corolla SE because it offered me a lot of things the new Corolla didn't offer me, even for a 3 year old car. I don't have any bias towards most cars now (except really lousy quality cars), and I'm not a fanboy of either H/K or just Toyota (used to be)...I might as well say that Lexus are awful choices too because they can't handle well and their tech is awful compared to the competition, but that's just a slippery slope of mud slinging.
Old 02-23-21, 12:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Sorry, Mazda cut a bigger cheque to CR and therefore they're at the top ahead of Toyota/Lexus: Consumer Reports’ most reliable
Although there have been some exceptions, like the CX-9 and some of the rotary-engine vehicles, Mazda, in general, builds reliable vehicles. I had years of experience with them myself. They didn't get good reliability ratings by paying people off....and CR's policy, from its very inception in the 1930s, is not to take any money from auto-manufacturers....or even ads.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-23-21 at 12:11 PM.
Old 02-23-21, 02:30 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Although there have been some exceptions, like the CX-9 and some of the rotary-engine vehicles, Mazda, in general, builds reliable vehicles. I had years of experience with them myself. They didn't get good reliability ratings by paying people off....and CR's policy, from its very inception in the 1930s, is not to take any money from auto-manufacturers....or even ads.
I believe you meant CX-7 which had a slew of issues. The CX-5 and CX-9 have been solid.
Old 02-23-21, 03:01 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

What I don't get is how Hyundai/Kia still rank very high on J.D. Power and Consumer Reports surveys. Someone is being paid off.
I think they rank high because the fire recall is more hidden/silent than it is not. Most people will not experience the extreme which is the vehicle burning. Lots of features and a lower price compared to most Japanese models is what most people want when they buy Hyundai But, some of their new models are doing better attracting higher prices. I will be interesting how well the Palisade hold up...my brother bought one. CR gets the buyer info when the car is up to 7 years...after that the 2nd experiences the issues.
Old 02-23-21, 05:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I believe you meant CX-7 which had a slew of issues. The CX-5 and CX-9 have been solid.
Perhaps so. I thought I remembered it as being on the CX-9, though Consumer Reports does have much data on the CX-7's record.

But my point was that Mazdas, in general, have generally been better than average in reliability if you discount the durability problems of the apex-tip-seals on the rotary engines, their traditional weak point.
Old 02-23-21, 05:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Back to topic, has anyone on Car Chat actually experienced a Hyundai or Kia engine fire?
Old 02-23-21, 05:28 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Back to topic, has anyone on Car Chat actually experienced a Hyundai or Kia engine fire?
My brother had his Hyundai Elantra engine replaced because of a fire risk.
Old 02-23-21, 06:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
My brother had his Hyundai Elantra engine replaced because of a fire risk.
But it wasn't actually torched?
Old 02-24-21, 02:37 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Hyundai to recall 82,000 electric cars globally in latest blow

Hyundai Motor Co. will recall about 82,000 electric cars globally and take an almost US$900 million hit after the South Korean government found defects in some of the vehicles’ battery cells.

The recall will be for EV models of the Kona, as well as the Ioniq and the company’s Elec City buses, that were manufactured between November 2017 and March 2020, Hyundai Motor said in a statement. The cells were made by LG Energy Solution Co. in a factory in China.

The replacement of the battery system is expected to cost about 1 trillion won (US$899 million), a charge that will be reflected in the automaker’s fourth-quarter earnings. South Korea’s transport ministry said Wednesday that initial findings of an investigation into the matter showed a Kona EV caught fire because of a problem with the battery cell, which was manufactured at LG Energy’s Nanjing plant.

Wednesday’s recall, which expands upon an earlier claw back of Hyundai Konas in October, comes at an awkward time for group. Earlier this month, Hyundai and its affiliate Kia Motors Corp. were forced in separate exchange filings to say they weren’t in any talks with Apple Inc. to develop its self-driving electric car, backing away from an earlier Hyundai statement that said they were in discussions.

Hyundai also in the middle of a big marketing campaign for its Ioniq 5, the first battery-electric car from its dedicated EV brand. The company plans to sell 70,000 of the vehicles built on its EV dedicated platform this year and 100,000 units in 2022, President Jaehoon Chang said earlier this week.

According to SNE Research, Hyundai sold 64,000 EVs in 2019 and 42,000 in 2018. For the nine months through September, Hyundai and Kia combined sold 130,000 EVs.

Some 16 cases of Kona EVs catching fire have been reported globally, including in Canada and Australia in 2019, according to Yonhap News. One of the incidents took place in the South Korean city of Daegu, where a Kona vehicle parked in an underground lot imploded.

Hyundai Motor will initially reflect the cost of the recall and depending on talks with LG Energy, some of that could be recovered, the automaker said. In January, Hyundai Motor reported an operating profit of 1.64 trillion won for the three months ended Dec. 31.

LG Energy will work closely with Hyundai Motor on the recall, it said in a separate statement. LG also said that the issues the transport ministry mentioned regarding its batteries were problems caused when the plant initially went into production and have since been improved. LG will also step up safety protocols around its manufacturing and quality-check processes.

South Korea’s transport ministry also plans to come up with measures to improve regulations to ensure the battery cells’ safety by the end of March after completing its investigation.
https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/hyundai-...blow-1.1567927

Quick Reply: Hyundai/Kia recalls and lawsuits