Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai/Kia recalls and lawsuits

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-23, 09:38 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Yep. So many conditions and gotchas and excuses. Many people simply give up.
I hate hearing the stories, worst part is the 100k/10year is only for the first buyer in many cases and they ALWAYS try and make you buy something even if they do "honor" the warranty. The best warranty is the one you never use, the 2nd best one is one that is zero questions asked, Hyundai is the worst type since it promises the world and is hell to use.
Old 06-14-23, 09:53 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,060 Likes on 2,572 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
I hate hearing the stories, worst part is the 100k/10year is only for the first buyer in many cases and they ALWAYS try and make you buy something even if they do "honor" the warranty. The best warranty is the one you never use, the 2nd best one is one that is zero questions asked, Hyundai is the worst type since it promises the world and is hell to use.
Well said. Unfortunately there is a strong perception at least in my observation that the warranty means Hyundai makes reliable cars. You don't know a car until you take it apart I can say for certain the engineering in any Toyota is vastly superior.

I won't work on Hyundai it's not worth it to me.
Old 06-14-23, 10:16 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Well said. Unfortunately there is a strong perception at least in my observation that the warranty means Hyundai makes reliable cars. You don't know a car until you take it apart I can say for certain the engineering in any Toyota is vastly superior.

I won't work on Hyundai it's not worth it to me.
I work on them since they are easy to work on and overly simple, plus they break often enough it's easy money. My Toyota/Lex customers almost never come in for any actual repairs, the Kia/Hyundai customers visit nearly as often as the BMW owners and more than the domestic brands. Sure owner type matters and all that but the fact is those who buy Hyundai/Kia are the type of people who are even less likely to care about the car properly, one of my customers blew 3 engines before she thought it was perhaps time to check oil at every fill up.

On the contrary I have noticed more and more that German cars are actually insanely reliable but are afflicted by moronic owners, BMW excluded. Lexus is still king though since they are idiot proof other than the inherent design issues but those are all well known problems with established fixes.
Old 06-14-23, 10:20 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,060 Likes on 2,572 Posts

I work on them since they are easy to work on and overly simple...
That's it I've been trying to come up with a way to describe them. Exactly. You must be used to them by now, they still seem alien to me.
Old 06-15-23, 04:51 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

So if you transfer the car, the 100/10 powertrain warranty converts to 5/60, like the bumper to bumper. Which is still pretty dang good.
Old 06-15-23, 09:34 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Where is the hate? Posting links to recently published articles providing information about a recall, isn't hate. Most of the time the articles aren't even written with any bias, they just report the issue and the number of affected units/models.

From what I remember, LexsCTJill has explained before that someone in their circle follows Hyundai/KIA recalls because they were burned by the company before, and now informs LexsCTJill whenever a new recall pops up.
Old 06-15-23, 11:03 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sm1ke
Where is the hate? Posting links to recently published articles providing information about a recall, isn't hate. Most of the time the articles aren't even written with any bias, they just report the issue and the number of affected units/models.

From what I remember, LexsCTJill has explained before that someone in their circle follows Hyundai/KIA recalls because they were burned by the company before, and now informs LexsCTJill whenever a new recall pops up.
Informing CL members of every single Hyundai/Kia recall notice because a family member has a grievance against the brand can certainly be construed as "hate".
Old 06-15-23, 11:54 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Informing CL members of every single Hyundai/Kia recall notice because a family member has a grievance against the brand can certainly be construed as "hate".
Agree to disagree. If it truly was "hate", mods probably would have intervened and closed the thread a long time ago.
Old 06-15-23, 01:41 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

So if you transfer the car, the 100/10 powertrain warranty converts to 5/60, like the bumper to bumper. Which is still pretty dang good.
Up until they deny a claim for "lack of maintenance" and you need a lawyer to get them to honor it.....

Yeah it's a great warranty!
Old 06-15-23, 03:32 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Up until they deny a claim for "lack of maintenance" and you need a lawyer to get them to honor it.....

Yeah it's a great warranty!
Until you can establish to me that H/K does that more than any other automaker, it's a nullity. Owner forums are filled with people worried about nullifying their warranty because of "mods" - it's no different. H/K didn't create the concept that failure to properly maintain your car can lead to warranty issues.

A co-worker has a Sonata and was worried his dealer would do the same thing. They replaced the engine with 95K miles, no questions asked, no request for maintenance records.
Old 06-15-23, 03:44 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

Until you can establish to me that H/K does that more than any other automaker, it's a nullity. Owner forums are filled with people worried about nullifying their warranty because of "mods" - it's no different. H/K didn't create the concept that failure to properly maintain your car can lead to warranty issues.

A co-worker has a Sonata and was worried his dealer would do the same thing. They replaced the engine with 95K miles, no questions asked, no request for maintenance records.
See, prime example. The thing didn't even make it to 100k.

Nope. She's simply following the thread topic. I remember about a year ago that this thread was merged with another. She wants to keep all us CL members well-informed of Kia/Hyundai problems.

Originally Posted by sm1ke
Agree to disagree. If it truly was "hate", mods probably would have intervened and closed the thread a long time ago.
Agree 100%. There is no issue with this thread.
Old 06-15-23, 03:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Hyundai comes with a very long warranty because people don't trust them. Toyota has one of the shortest warranties of any auto maker and they build the most reliable cars.

The Toyota warranty, in fact, is the same as with most mainstream vehicles today......5/60 and 3/36. Kia, Hyundai, and Mitsubishi are exceptions among the mainstream brands, with much longer warranties. VW has 4/50, period...as do most European brands. Most American and Japanese Luxury-brands have 6/70 and 4/50. That's one of my (few) recent pet peeves with Buick...they used to match the luxury 6/70 and 4/50 warranty, but cut it back a few years ago to the mainstream 5/60 and 3/36.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-15-23 at 03:55 PM.
Old 06-16-23, 06:00 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by xjokerz
Nope. She's simply following the thread topic. I remember about a year ago that this thread was merged with another. She wants to keep all us CL members well-informed of Kia/Hyundai problems.
Why? It's not like Ralph Nader is here posting. No CL member has to buy a K/H if they don't want. Why does everyone else need to be "informed" of recalls ONLY for these 2 brands, but not any other brand recall? Because of hate for that brand - "I don't like H/K, and you shouldn't either--and here's why." You can't, with a straight face, claim not to understand people's bias for H/K without acknowledging other people having bias against H/K. It's disingenuous.
Old 06-16-23, 10:26 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

^^^Tex is right on. It seems like we spend more time talking about Hyundai/Kia and Tesla problems/recalls more than those of any other manufacturers. There is indeed a clear bias.

H/K, at one time, DID build junk...but that stopped over two decades ago.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-16-23 at 03:02 PM.
Old 06-16-23, 11:53 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

MODERATOR EDIT. Not going to keep asking. .

third request to exit this thread.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...l#post11485311

Last edited by DaveGS4; 06-17-23 at 04:26 AM.

Quick Reply: Hyundai/Kia recalls and lawsuits