Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai/Kia recalls and lawsuits

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-24, 02:24 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Spoiler

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news...ay/ar-BB1qeAAN
Old 07-22-24, 07:40 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/reca...ps-072224.html

Old 07-22-24, 07:45 AM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 943 Likes on 593 Posts

Thanks for these posts, Jill. I do enjoy this series in a train-wreck-witness, guilty pleasure sort of way.
Old 07-22-24, 08:41 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFinally
Thanks for these posts, Jill. I do enjoy this series in a train-wreck-witness, guilty pleasure sort of way.
I don't recall any trains being wrecked because of Hyundai or Kia products.
Old 07-22-24, 08:43 AM
LexFinally
Racer

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I don't recall any trains being wrecked because of Hyundai or Kia products.
Maybe the occasional garage and attached house, though. :.D
Old 07-27-24, 07:57 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Maybe the occasional garage and attached house, though. :.D
I have always wondered what would happen if someone Hyundai or Genesis burned down a house or even worse a sub division after being warned not park in a garage. I would be interested to know if the insurance company would actually pay.

It is disappointing to see how much Hyundai struggles with quality.
Old 07-28-24, 12:12 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

For my own education, and on my dad's behalf, I joined some Facebook forums related to the Hyundai/Kia recalls. Sadly, it's even worse than I had thought. Thousands of every-day people have been left to foot the bill on new engine repairs on their mostly newer vehicle. Corporate is denying most claims based on not saving receipts for oil changes, which most people had done, but did not always document. The pain and suffering of losing out large sums of money to struggling families is sad. Many have gotten lawyers, a few have fought for a year, and some have won. The brand is handling their massive engine failures poorly, like they did with my dad's self-destructing Santa Fe. There is absolutely no doubt the quality of their modern offerings are substandard and people are suffering on a wide scale.
Old 07-28-24, 07:53 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
For my own education, and on my dad's behalf, I joined some Facebook forums related to the Hyundai/Kia recalls. Sadly, it's even worse than I had thought. Thousands of every-day people have been left to foot the bill on new engine repairs on their mostly newer vehicle. Corporate is denying most claims based on not saving receipts for oil changes, which most people had done, but did not always document. The pain and suffering of losing out large sums of money to struggling families is sad. Many have gotten lawyers, a few have fought for a year, and some have won. The brand is handling their massive engine failures poorly, like they did with my dad's self-destructing Santa Fe. There is absolutely no doubt the quality of their modern offerings are substandard and people are suffering on a wide scale.

I haven’t seen those groups. Very disappointing that Hyundai corporate is acting so shady. I always thought it was as simple as a recall on your VIN and you just take it in. My friends engine all of sudden stalled on her in the middle of an intersection, she had it towed to the dealer and it became a massive fight to get it replaced at no charge. Took about two months sitting in the back lot until they finally approved it, then another two months before the engine was replaced. Her issue was that her low oil level light was faulty so she had to no idea she burning thorough so much oil.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 07-28-24 at 08:45 AM.
Old 07-28-24, 09:19 AM
LexFinally
Racer

Originally Posted by Toys4RJill
It is disappointing to see how much Hyundai struggles with quality.
I think if they struggled harder, they'd have better quality.
Old 07-28-24, 12:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I think if they struggled harder, they'd have better quality.

Except for the widely-publicized engine recalls, they DO have very good quality. I would buy one before most of today's Hondas or Toyotas, with the possible exception of the 4Runner and its bulletproof reputation. My brother is also sold on Kias...he loves them.
Old 07-28-24, 12:46 PM
LexFinally
Racer

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Except for the widely-publicized engine recalls, they DO have very good quality. I would buy one before most of today's Hondas or Toyotas, with the possible exception of the 4Runner and its bulletproof reputation. My brother is also sold on Kias...he loves them.
I respect your wishes and those of your brother, and I'm glad he's had a good experience.

But as a statistical generality, Consumer Reports' owner survey reliability data do not support your indictment of Toyota as it pertains to the Camry, Corolla, standard Highlander, or Prius.

It also must be noted that the most disturbing of the recalls are not by any means confined to the engine bay, such as the repeated and seemingly unfixable tendency of various non-engine parts including ABS wheel modules, trailer hitches and power seat controls to spontaneously burst into flames.
Old 07-28-24, 04:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I respect your wishes and those of your brother, and I'm glad he's had a good experience.

But as a statistical generality, Consumer Reports' owner survey reliability data do not support your indictment of Toyota as it pertains to the Camry, Corolla, standard Highlander, or Prius.

It also must be noted that the most disturbing of the recalls are not by any means confined to the engine bay, such as the repeated and seemingly unfixable tendency of various non-engine parts including ABS wheel modules, trailer hitches and power seat controls to spontaneously burst into flames.
My brother's dealership is also very good on service.....unfortunately, many Kia dealerships are not, and don't have a highly-satisfied customer base. His dealership is religious about keeping up with all safety-recalls, TSBs, software-updates, and anything else needed to address problems and potential problems. Perhaps one reason for that high standard is that the dealership itself is owned by the Congressman that represents his district.
Old 07-28-24, 06:20 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

‘The power seat controls and the rear hitch is a serious concern. Their issues are serious quality problem.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 07-28-24 at 07:44 PM.
Old 07-31-24, 10:58 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/tops...ys/ar-BB1qYj19

Old 08-03-24, 12:52 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/othe...nt/ar-BB1qZhsW

Quick Reply: Hyundai/Kia recalls and lawsuits