Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai Azera

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-20, 04:11 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Hyundai Azera

This is a pretty nice car....haven’t looked up HP stuff but the front end is quite nice.
Old 11-30-20, 04:17 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

South Korea might be the only country left in the world that still overwhelmingly prefers sedans over crossovers.
Old 11-30-20, 04:20 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

This car is probably too expensive for NA. In the Lacrosse segment which went completely belly up
Old 11-30-20, 04:25 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
This is a pretty nice car....haven’t looked up HP stuff but the front end is quite nice.
Seems to be the same 2.4 and 3.3 engine options on the Azera as other Hyundai Corp vehicles. Redesigned in 2016 for a 6th generation, the video posted shows the 2019 facelift. It is the best selling vehicle in its category in the South Korean market. Also it's called the Hyundai Grandeur in KDM (ours was called Azera - this car is related to the Kia Cadenza).
Old 11-30-20, 04:35 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Speaking of the Cadenza, it's popular enough in its home market to get a brand new redesign next year. Given the dismal sales in the U.S., it'll probably be axed here before we get it just like the Azera.

Old 11-30-20, 04:41 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Wait, they quit selling this car in the US? WHY?!
Old 11-30-20, 04:44 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
Speaking of the Cadenza, it's popular enough in its home market to get a brand new redesign next year. Given the dismal sales in the U.S., it'll probably be axed here before we get it just like the Azera.

It's surprising Kia still offers the Cadenza here in the U.S. They're selling about 100 per month right now. The K900 is selling about 25 per month!
Old 11-30-20, 07:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
Wait, they quit selling this car in the US? WHY?!
Because sedans in the U.S. simply don't generate enough profits for the bean-counters.....crossovers/SUVs and trucks simply make more per vehicle. I've brought this issue up a number of times. Some posters have tried to paint it as a picture of the number of sales, not profits per vehicle. I strongly disagree. It's not low sales, but low profits. That's why many manufacturers are taking away the consumer-choice.....so that they no longer have sedan-options in the U.S. (Kia is an exception...see my reply below)

Originally Posted by LexBob2
It's surprising Kia still offers the Cadenza here in the U.S. They're selling about 100 per month right now. The K900 is selling about 25 per month!
That's because Kia is more honest than most other manufacturers. They still believe in giving customers a choice, despite lower-profit per-vehicle in sedans. That's one reason why they have been so enormously successful in the last decade or so....honesty begets its rewards.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-30-20 at 07:16 PM.
Old 11-30-20, 07:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

South Korea might be the only country left in the world that still overwhelmingly prefers sedans over crossovers.
That's because customers still have a choice in South Korea. With Hyundai/Kia at least, they haven't had sedans yanked out from underneath them by the manufacturer.
Old 11-30-20, 07:28 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Because sedans in the U.S. simply don't generate enough profits for the bean-counters.....crossovers/SUVs and trucks simply make more per vehicle. I've brought this issue up a number of times. Some posters have tried to paint it as a picture of the number of sales, not profits per vehicle. I strongly disagree. It's not low sales, but low profits. That's why many manufacturers are taking away the consumer-choice.....so that they no longer have sedan-options in the U.S. (Kia is an exception...see my reply below)

That's because Kia is more honest than most other manufacturers. They still believe in giving customers a choice, despite lower-profit per-vehicle in sedans. That's one reason why they have been so enormously successful in the last decade or so....honesty begets its rewards.
I don't really know if Kia is more honest than other manufacturers but if they are giving customers in the US a choice with the Cadenza and K900 those customers are definitely choosing other vehicles. When Hyundai discontinued the Azeria in the US I believe it was outselling the Cadenza.
Old 11-30-20, 07:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I don't really know if Kia is more honest than other manufacturers but if they are giving customers in the US a choice with the Cadenza and K900 those customers are definitely choosing other vehicles. When Hyundai discontinued the Azeria in the US I believe it was outselling the Cadenza.

The Azera did have some customers (among them one of my neighbors), but it was generally overshadowed by the number of people buying Impalas, Lacrosses, Tauruses, Avalons, and the Lexus ES. And, at the time, the Taurus was also doing well in fleet-sales to police departments.
Old 11-30-20, 08:21 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

The Koreans can offer multiple sedans like the Cadenza and K900 that few people buy in the States because they already pay for themselves in their home market in South Korea. That's another reason why the Stinger is potentially on the chopping block globally despite easily outselling the Cadenza and K900 combined in this country- the Stinger just doesn't sell that well in its home market to justify its existence, especially compared to its Hyundai stablemate Genesis G70. Hyundai/Kia's #1 market will always be their domestic one.

Something interesting I just found out- the reason Hyundai killed off the Azera in the U.S. wasn't because of poor sales, it was because Hyundai themselves were afraid it would cannibalize the budding Genesis lineup like the Lexus ES does to the IS/GS/LS. After all, Genesis and the Azera were sold on the same dealer lots.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/hyun...genesis-brand/

The Cadenza might stick around after all, but will likely be renamed to the K7 or K8.
Old 11-30-20, 08:30 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I can maybe see the rationale for not offering against Genesis.

this below is a nice looking interior and colour combo.

Old 11-30-20, 08:35 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Seems to be the same 2.4 and 3.3 engine options on the Azera as other Hyundai Corp vehicles. Redesigned in 2016 for a 6th generation, the video posted shows the 2019 facelift. It is the best selling vehicle in its category in the South Korean market. Also it's called the Hyundai Grandeur in KDM (ours was called Azera - this car is related to the Kia Cadenza).
New one uses 2.5 and 3.5. Never knew H had a 3,5
Old 11-30-20, 08:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The Koreans can offer multiple sedans like the Cadenza and K900 that few people buy in the States because they already pay for themselves in their home market in South Korea. That's another reason why the Stinger is potentially on the chopping block globally despite easily outselling the Cadenza and K900 combined in this country- the Stinger just doesn't sell that well in its home market to justify its existence, especially compared to its Hyundai stablemate Genesis G70. Hyundai/Kia's #1 market will always be their domestic one.
The G70 really has little to do wth it. The reason the Stinger does not sell well in South Korea is that it is too hard-edged and rides/handles too firmly. Koreans, for the most part, don't want that...they want smoothness and plushness.

Something interesting I just found out- the reason Hyundai killed off the Azera in the U.S. wasn't because of poor sales
Agreed. It never is. The poor-sales excuse simply doesn't hold water.

it was because Hyundai themselves were afraid it would cannibalize the budding Genesis lineup like the Lexus ES does to the IS/GS/LS. After all, Genesis and the Azera were sold on the same dealer lots.
Apples and Oranges. It's unlikely that there would be any overlap. Unlike the Genesis sedans, the Azera is a FWD platform, and did not offer AWD in the U.S.

The Cadenza might stick around after all, but will likely be renamed to the K7 or K8.
Yes, that's quite possible. Good point.

Quick Reply: Hyundai Azera