Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

I think I made the right decision on the Corsair.

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-20, 03:58 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I am sure that button has to be pressed down for a few seconds to work.
Old 12-02-20, 04:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,750 Likes on 1,967 Posts

I would choose a Corsair easily...I think the Corsair would have been a great choice for you.
Old 12-02-20, 04:08 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I would choose a Corsair easily...I think the Corsair would have been a great choice for you.
Same here
Old 12-02-20, 04:13 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Same here
Sort of a different segment of vehicle. I like Lincoln’s marketing and their new direction and theme.

Encore is kind of a nice size and the interior is not bad
Old 12-02-20, 04:13 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The Corsair is bigger than the Encore GX true
Old 12-02-20, 04:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

A little more comfy than the Encore GX, yes, but not as easy to maneuver/park, and I'm not comfortable with the reliability prospects. I also prefer the Encore GX's conventional shifter and its AWD and engine-start/stop disconnect buttons....items that the Corsair lacks. Also, of course, the Encore GX is less of a hit to one's bank account, though I could easily afford either one.

Who knows, though? If I go with a lease this time rather then a purchase, this time (which is still an option), I might be ready for another new vehicle in a couple of years. If the Corsair proves reliable between now and then......

One thing I have learned to do in the auto business is never say never. Two years ago, I had no idea I'd be in a small crossover this time. Between then and now, however, I have come to see why these vehicles are so popular....and why some people are willing to trade the kind of cush-comfort that the Lacrosse, LS460, and S560 represent for much better practicality.
Old 12-02-20, 04:16 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Oh I've always gotten it, I totally see the appeal.
Old 12-02-20, 04:17 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
A little more comfy than the Encore GX, yes, but not as easy to maneuver/park, and I'm not comfortable with the reliability prospects. I also prefer the Encore GX's conventional shifter and its AWD and engine-start/stop disconnect buttons....items that the Corsair lacks. Also, of course, the Encore GX is less of a hit to one's bank account, though I could easily afford either one.

Who knows, though? If I go with a lease this time rather then a purchase, this time (which is still an option), I might be ready for another new vehicle in a couple of years. If the Corsair proves reliable between now and then......

One thing I have learned to do in the auto business is never say never. Two years ago, I had no idea I'd be in a small crossover this time. Between then and now, however, I have come to see why these vehicles are so popular....and why some people are willing to trade the kind of cush-comfort that the Lacrosse, LS460, and S560 represent for much better practicality.
If you lease...does it really matter the reliability? Doesn’t Lincoln give a loaner for service and pick it up?
Old 12-02-20, 04:18 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I would have no concerns about reliability from a Ford or Lincoln product.
Old 12-02-20, 04:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
If you lease...does it really matter the reliability? Doesn’t Lincoln give a loaner for service and pick it up?
Perhaps.....But, for several reasons, I'm the type of person that would rather drive myself. One thing Lincoln does offer, however, that I like is wash-on-demand, but it only comes with the expensive Black label package, which is not available on the Corsair....Lincoln, perhaps to keep the price down, chose to offer it only on the Navigator and Aviator.

My GM dealership washes vehicles with every service, and will often give me a free wash-on-demand, without a service, even though they don't have to, but only because I have been a repeat customer and don't give them a lot of grief like some customers do.
Old 12-02-20, 04:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I would have no concerns about reliability from a Ford or Lincoln product.

They are not the worst in the business (take Fiat, Land Rover, Jaguar, Jeep, Alfa, etc...), but I've seen better. And lot of new Aviator/Explorer customers got burned. I didn't like the new Explorer at all when first saw it...the Aviator, on the same platform was light-years better, but both had their share of problems from the factory.
Old 12-02-20, 05:15 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I always go out of my way to make sure they DON'T wash my cars lol.

I know lots of people with Ford products, all are happy. I myself had a 95 Explorer for 20 years and 220,000 miles. It had its problems but overall it was a good truck for its era.
Old 12-02-20, 05:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I always go out of my way to make sure they DON'T wash my cars lol.
Yeah, I used to be like that....big time. But time marches on, and our bodies aren't getting any younger. Let's see how you feel in another 20 years or so.

I know lots of people with Ford products, all are happy.
Oh, definitely. I wasn't arguing otherwise. My next door neighbor has three of them...including a year-old 73K Expedition (the other two are a Contour SVT and a 1Gen Escape). But this thread (and the issue here) was not necessarily other Ford products, but the Corsair, which is a downsized version of a vehicle (Aviator) that most definitely has had problems.

I myself had a 95 Explorer for 20 years and 220,000 miles. It had its problems but overall it was a good truck for its era.

To some extent, though, apples and oranges. The '95 Explorer was a converted Ranger truck, and
benefitted from the type of body-on-frame, heavy-duty construction that some later crossover Explorers lacked, although I think Bitkahuna had one of the crossover versions without too many problems.

Did your '95 get stuck with those failure-prone Firestone Wilderness tires and get recalled? When one looks beyond the hype, there's probably equal blame for those failures between Ford, Firestone, and/or owner-neglect of tire PSI under stressful operation.
Old 12-02-20, 06:10 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yeah, I used to be like that....big time. But time marches on, and our bodies aren't getting any younger. Let's see how you feel in another 20 years or so.
I run my cars through carwashes. The issue is dealer car wash guys just do a terrible job, swirl the paint up and it comes out looking dirtier than before they washed it. My carwash I use does a much better job.

You want to go to a great carwash, go to that Champion Hand Wash in Tysons. I get a carwash there when I'm in the area and it needs one.

To some extent, though, apples and oranges. The '95 Explorer was a converted Ranger truck, and benefitted from the type of body-on-frame, heavy-duty construction that some later crossover Explorers lacked, although I think Bitkahuna had one of the crossover versions without too many problems.

Did your '95 get stuck with those failure-prone Firestone Wilderness tires and get recalled? When one looks beyond the hype, there's probably equal blame for those failures between Ford, Firestone, and/or owner-neglect of tire PSI under stressful operation.
Its a Ford, and from an era when Ford had a much more negative reputation for reliability.

No, mine came with Goodyears.

It looked like this one, without the black bug deflector, but same color and trim, I even had those Michelin tires at some point:

Old 12-02-20, 06:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

You want to go to a great carwash, go to that Champion Hand Wash in Tysons. I get a carwash there when I'm in the area and it needs one.
Yes, I know where it is......just down the street, on Route 7, from my GM dealership. My brother has used the place, and likes it. I can get decent washes free (though not necessarily the best washes) at my dealership. But, if and when I need to get salt or sand out of the inner-fenders or the undercarriage, I just use the hose at my brother's house. That way, I know exactly what has been rinsed, how it has been rinsed, and don't have to worry about places that use recycled water with salt in it from other vehicles...and the sand particles won't scratch the paint from the washing action.

It looked like this one, without the black bug deflector, but same color and trim, I even had those Michelin tires at some point:

I see you had the top-of-the-line Limited trim-version, without the vinyl-cladding...it came with body-color paint.

Quick Reply: I think I made the right decision on the Corsair.