Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

I think I made the right decision on the Corsair.

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-20, 06:31 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

The only American brand i would consider buying is Tesla.

I highly suggest you test drive the Model Y if you’re considering a compact SUV. It rides amazing and is dynamically superior to these FWD-based SUVs.

If you are open to German brands then BMW X3 and Porsche Macan are the best you can get in the segment.
Old 12-02-20, 07:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
The only American brand i would consider buying is Tesla.

I highly suggest you test drive the Model Y if you’re considering a compact SUV. It rides amazing and is dynamically superior to these FWD-based SUVs.
Thanks for the suggestion. I like the idea of a BEV, but recharging in my area can be a problem if one does not live in a home that as an adequate outlet. The local Wawa store in my neighborhood has a number of Tesla-grade outlets in its parking-lot, but they are, of course, not available for overnight charging.
Old 12-03-20, 05:21 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I am sure that button has to be pressed down for a few seconds to work.
I wouldn't be so sure. I've had 4 cars with voice activation, and that's not how it worked. For example, in my BMW, any press activates it, but a long press activates Siri or whatever assistant Android phones have.
Old 12-03-20, 06:42 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,750 Likes on 1,967 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes, I know where it is......just down the street, on Route 7, from my GM dealership. My brother has used the place, and likes it. I can get decent washes free (though not necessarily the best washes) at my dealership. But, if and when I need to get salt or sand out of the inner-fenders or the undercarriage, I just use the hose at my brother's house. That way, I know exactly what has been rinsed, how it has been rinsed, and don't have to worry about places that use recycled water with salt in it from other vehicles...and the sand particles won't scratch the paint from the washing action.
If you’re worried about scratching, don’t let the dealer wash the car.

I see you had the top-of-the-line Limited trim-version, without the vinyl-cladding...it came with body-color paint.
Yep, it was all body color
Old 12-03-20, 07:50 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
If you’re worried about scratching, don’t let the dealer wash the car.
Well, two things. First, there's that nice little (effective) yellow bottle that you don't seem to think too highly of....but I do. Second, I won't have the car much longer....probably a month or two, unless I decide to keep it for longer trips and more comfort. But, I've had two cars before (in the mid-late 1990s), and, for me and my parking conditions, it was just too much. Your family needs two vehicles...as a single person, I don't.....although I've known a number of single persons who had as many as three or four.

Old 12-03-20, 08:20 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Scratches can always be fixed (well, almost always), but the point is why have scratches to fix if you don’t have to? Improper washing is how 95% of paint defects happen to a car, and almost every time I have had a dealer wash a car it has come back completely hammered.

If someone doesn’t really care, that’s totally fine but if someone DOES care, they shouldn’t let the dealer wash their car. I don’t care nearly as much as I used to, and I use automatic car washes that do create swirls over time but I’ve taken time to find the really good ones that keep that to a minimum.

Ive also watched these dealers washes. I’ve seen them use floor brooms, no joke. Certainly no clean towels or clean wash media or anything like that. At Lexus they don’t even bother to dry the car.
Old 12-03-20, 08:26 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

At Lexus they don’t even bother to dry the car.

Yeah, they don't dry it at my dealership, either. But remember the old Boy Scout motto? (I was a Scout myself for several years)...Be Prepared. I carry a couple of towels, some cleaning/detailing supplies, and an emergency bottle of water in the trunk (when it is not freezing cold), so I can handle an emergency spot-cleaning or drying situation wherever I'm at, even away from water (especially if the birds hit me LOL).
Old 12-03-20, 08:40 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Or I could just leave the car washing to people who do it well lol
Old 12-03-20, 11:55 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Or I could just leave the car washing to people who do it well lol

Some things, it's best to do it yourself. A prime example is dried bird-excretement. When it's fresh, soft, and easily washed-off, that's one thing, but the absolute worst thing you can do when it has dried is to rub it....with anything, including an automated car-wash. It will have virtually the same effect as sandpaper. Best thing is to flood it with warm water, let the water soak in for a while and loosen it up once again, and then wash it. I've saved myself a lot of deep scratches (something SCRATCH-OUT probably couldn't handle) by being cautious like that.

And, even if the excitement is not dried, you want to get it off ASAP. Depending on what the bird has eaten, some forms of it aren't very harmful at all.....other forms are extremely acidic/corrosive and can quickly mar or blotch the clearcoat in the paint if not removed.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-03-20 at 03:06 PM.
Old 12-03-20, 01:26 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Oh I've dealt with that many times
Old 12-03-20, 06:44 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 502 Likes on 437 Posts

[QUOTE=mmarshall;10944773]I don't actually have the Encore GX yet......still waiting for a December delivery.

No, no remorse at all. If there was any remorse, I would not have posted this thread.....I don't believe in misleading people. The only thing I wished the Encore GX had was one more cylinder, like the Corsair...but it was not a deal-breaker by any means (neither was the manual hood prop-rod LOL), and the Encore is even more maneuverable and easier to park at close quarters then the Corsair. It also has several handy features that the Corsair lacks...a flat-folding right front seat for extra-long/narrow cargo, an on/off switch for the AWD, and a shut-off switch for the engine start-stop function at idle. And it's about 10K-12 cheaper, the way I equipped it......maybe more, if there are any incentives on the 2021s.

Sounds like you need to hammer down on a couple vehicles.......That 3 pot is a negative for me...For over here, the Fist w/ the 4 pot beats the 3 potter.....The 3 pot in the Foci, is possible great overseas but not here. Even the base motor in the Corsair would do......
Old 12-03-20, 08:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I don't actually have the Encore GX yet......still waiting for a December delivery.

No, no remorse at all. If there was any remorse, I would not have posted this thread.....I don't believe in misleading people. The only thing I wished the Encore GX had was one more cylinder, like the Corsair...but it was not a deal-breaker by any means (neither was the manual hood prop-rod LOL), and the Encore is even more maneuverable and easier to park at close quarters then the Corsair. It also has several handy features that the Corsair lacks...a flat-folding right front seat for extra-long/narrow cargo, an on/off switch for the AWD, and a shut-off switch for the engine start-stop function at idle. And it's about 10K-12 cheaper, the way I equipped it......maybe more, if there are any incentives on the 2021s.
Originally Posted by Felix
Sounds like you need to hammer down on a couple vehicles.......That 3 pot is a negative for me...For over here, the Fist w/ the 4 pot beats the 3 potter.....The 3 pot in the Foci, is possible great overseas but not here. Even the base motor in the Corsair would do......

You didn't do the quote correctly in the last post.....fixed it for you.

I agree I'd rather have a four-pot over a three-pot, but that's not necessarily a Mickey-Mouse engine like with the 1.0L Ford 3-cylinder EcoBoost, which is a joke. The 1.3L turbo-three that Chevy and Buick use has a decent amount of power, particularly in stop-and-go driving where it is tuned for max torque at only 1600 RPM, right off the line. Where it falls down is at higher speeds where it starts to run out of breath, and with a little more vibration and noise at low RPMs than you would find with an average 4-pot. But, at least on the Buick version, even a fair amount of that is masked by Buick's Quiet-Tuning.....which, IMO, helps justify the Buick's slightly higher price over the Chevy.
Old 12-04-20, 03:23 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I had always thought the Corsair had a smooth running V6 as an option ...I didn’t know the Corsair has the Ford 3 cylinder available.
Old 12-04-20, 07:19 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Felix
Sounds like you need to hammer down on a couple vehicles.....
Thats the feeling I'm getting too...
Old 12-04-20, 09:03 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I had always thought the Corsair had a smooth running V6 as an option ...I didn’t know the Corsair has the Ford 3 cylinder available.

Nope. The Corsair comes with 2.0L turbo and 2.3L turbo fours, and (new this year) a hybrid 2.5L N/A four. Like the MKC that preceded it, it never had a V6 option.

It did not (or ever have) the 1.0L three-pot Ecoboost. That engine would be unfit for any Lincoln vehicle. I only mentioned that engine in comparison to the larger Chevy/Buick three-pot turbo.

Quick Reply: I think I made the right decision on the Corsair.