Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

I think I made the right decision on the Corsair.

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-20, 09:29 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I had always thought the Corsair had a smooth running V6 as an option ...I didn’t know the Corsair has the Ford 3 cylinder available.
It probably makes sense for the Corsair to come with only 4 cylinder engine options. The competitors in this luxury compact CUV segment all do it. Some of them do have high performance models (BMW, MB, Audi etc.) that are 6 cylinder.
Old 12-04-20, 11:09 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,750 Likes on 1,967 Posts

I dont see how a 3 cyl is unfit for a Lincoln but itsnt for a Buick?
Old 12-04-20, 12:27 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
It probably makes sense for the Corsair to come with only 4 cylinder engine options. The competitors in this luxury compact CUV segment all do it. Some of them do have high performance models (BMW, MB, Audi etc.) that are 6 cylinder.
I remember the Rav4 once had a V6 and that was 268hp....I am sure the domestic could offer a V6...
Old 12-04-20, 01:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I dont see how a 3 cyl is unfit for a Lincoln but itsnt for a Buick?
IMO, the GM 1.3L 3-pot puts the Ford 1.0L 3-pot to shame. Go test-drive them for yourself and you will probably see what mean. Of course, if you still feel that way....well, we've disagreed before.

Having said that, of course, it doesn't change the fact that, given the choice, I'd still rather have another cylinder. But, no matter what one buys or leases, there are always some choices/compromises that have to be made. In over 50 years of test-drives, I have not found a perfect vehicle yet.

Look at the new LS, for example. It had enough things disagreeable to you that it ended up being a deal-breaker....and sending you over to the Germans.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-04-20 at 01:31 PM.
Old 12-04-20, 04:18 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I’m just never going to feel that any 3 cyl engine belongs in anything but the lowest priced economy car.
Old 12-04-20, 04:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I’m just never going to feel that any 3 cyl engine belongs in anything but the lowest priced economy car.

As I see it, that's a legitimate opinion....I won't argue with it, and it has some merit. But we have had numerous threads (and posts) in Car Chat on the almost-inevitability, at least for most ICE vehicles, of the use of smaller engines in the future. Former V8s are going to be turbo V6s. Former V6s are going to be turbo 4s. And former fours are going to be turbo 3s. The sooner we get used to it, the easier it is probably going to be for all of us. And I'm going to start to get used to it probably within the next month.

As for the Chevy/Buick turbo 1.3 L three, various reviewers (and I've read or watched dozens of them) are literally all over the clock wth it. Some say that with Buick's Quiet Tuning, you don't even notice it's a three-pot...others pan it as inadequate, wimpy, noisy, shaky, and unfit for a vehicle the size of the Trailblazer/Encore GX. Others like it at low speeds and off the line, but complain that it runs out of breath as RPMs climb. Others claim that they actually like it more than the regular Encore/Trax's N/A four. Personally, from my own test-drive (and I'm not an aggressive driver), I found it adequate for the typical suburban stop-and-go driving I do, but with some noticeable vibration right around the 1500 RPM mark (torque-max, BTW, is at 1600). It does have an audible clatter at idle with the windows/doors open, but is typical Buick-quiet with the windows up and sealed.
Old 12-04-20, 04:46 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Well, I personally wouldn't buy a car with a NA4 cyl either, and would have a very hard time buying a car with a turbo 4. I would never buy any luxury vehicle with less than a 6 cyl.

I hate driving a car that feels like its straining for power.
Old 12-04-20, 04:54 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Well, I personally wouldn't buy a car with a NA4 cyl either, and would have a very hard time buying a car with a turbo 4. I would never buy any luxury vehicle with less than a 6 cyl.

It all depends what one wants....4 cylinders are for fuel economy and to help keep costs low...in every day cars they make sense but at a certain price point it makes sense to have something larger ...our Matrix with the 2.4/5 speed nerve strains for power but on the other hand it burns gas like the Lexus ES V6...but my 1.8 Corolla is geared for optimal fuel efficiency and does not accelerate anywhere close to the Matrix when pushed hard.

I think the 3 cylinder in this case exists because it’s made world markets like China and SK and not really the USA...and GM lacks competitive small motors compared the Japanese makes like Toyota, Honda and Mazda.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-04-20 at 04:58 PM.
Old 12-04-20, 04:58 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

It all depends what one wants....4 cylinders are for fuel economy and to help keep costs low...in every day cars they make sense but at a certain price point it makes sense to have something larger ...our Matrix with the 2.4/5 speed nerve strains for power but on the other hand it burns gas like the Lexus ES V6
Thats right, often in these circumstances you don't always get the promised fuel economy benefit, and in the case of the turbo 4 vs a NA V6 the NA V6 is a lot less complex and will almost certainly have less issues down the line. A lot of these turbo 4s have a pretty good drive feel today though.

I think the 3 cylinder in this case exists because it’s make world markets like China and SK and not really the USA
Totally agree, the car isn't really designed for here.
Old 12-04-20, 05:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

but my 1.8 Corolla is geared for optimal fuel efficiency and does not accelerate anywhere close to the Matrix when pushed hard.
....and one does not buy a Corolla to win drag races.

I think the 3 cylinder in this case exists because it’s made world markets like China and SK and not really the USA
True to an extent, but that's not the only reason.

...and GM lacks competitive small motors compared the Japanese makes like Toyota, Honda and Mazda.
Incorrect. Just ask anyone who owns a Regal GS and its turbo four-pot. Car and Driver loved the one they did a Four-Seasons test on.
Old 12-04-20, 05:15 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Thats right, often in these circumstances you don't always get the promised fuel economy benefit, and in the case of the turbo 4 vs a NA V6 the NA V6 is a lot less complex and will almost certainly have less issues down the line. A lot of these turbo 4s have a pretty good drive feel today though.
I think one has to drive their 4 cylinder turbo lightly to get the EPA. I know my 4 cylinders you have to accelerate quite gently most of the time....never had a turbo but maybe one day I would try it....but I don’t care that much IMO.

Toyota also has new 3 cylinder engines for some models in some parts of the world...there is a new dynamic force TNGA 3 cylinder somewhere but most people in the US would reject a 3 cylinder. But the domestic makers don’t have new small engine technology in 4 cylinder size which is the problem.

Dynamic force engines by Toyota and Honda engines are really far advanced....the new Toyota engines can now close off cooling to one part of the engine and more cooling to another part to speed engine heating...electric parts for the engine such as thermostat, water pump, and variable oil pressures ..never really understood thermal efficiency and that stuff.

The new MB stuff is pretty advanced as well their mild hybrid stuff. I don’t really pay attention to BMW or Audi. I think VW uses a 3 cylinder in North America

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-04-20 at 05:21 PM.
Old 12-04-20, 05:22 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Not all turbo 4s are strained for power. My BMW 328 certainly is not, and the current 330 is even better. Of course, coming out of a V8 would be much harder adjustment than a V6.
Old 12-04-20, 05:24 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
....and one does not buy a Corolla to win drag races.
You always say that, but its not about winning drag races. Its about the car feeling like it has adequate power for all situations it is designed to be used for, and not feeling like its straining, and for the power delivery to feel and sound refined and smooth. I don't recall Corollas I've driven feeling underpowered for what they are. I had a Toyota Prius, that felt awful.

When you get into premium and luxury cars, that feel of effortless smooth power becomes more and more important.

If you take my S Class. I could have gotten an S450 and it would have had ample power, they don't feel underpowered at all, very smooth. I'm not a fast aggressive driver, why did I choose the S560? Because the V8 just takes the car to another level and makes it feel much more special. Thats what the LS lost when they went to the TTV6.

The 3cyl we're talking about is fine for the TrailBlazer, thats clearly an economy vehicle people buy because its cheap. The Encore GT though becomes a premium car, a Buick, and its price is that of a premium car and I just don't see how having that same 3cyl engine in a car at that level isn't a slap in the face. Hence why I also wouldn't want that in the Corsair. Want to put it in the EcoSport? Fine. But a Lincoln Corsair? No.

I think one has to drive their 4 cylinder turbo lightly to get the EPA. I know my 4 cylinders you have to accelerate quite gently most of the time....never had a turbo but maybe one day I would try it....but I don’t care that much IMO.
Yep, thats true.
Old 12-04-20, 05:26 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
Not all turbo 4s are strained for power. My BMW 328 certainly is not, and the current 330 is even better. Of course, coming out of a V8 would be much harder adjustment than a V6.
True, but I would never buy one. If I were going to buy a 3 series it would have the inline 6.
Old 12-04-20, 06:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

You always say that, but its not about winning drag races. Its about the car feeling like it has adequate power for all situations it is designed to be used for, and not feeling like its straining, and for the power delivery to feel and sound refined and smooth. I don't recall Corollas I've driven feeling underpowered for what they are. I had a Toyota Prius, that felt awful.
I did not say that Corolla was underpowered for the reasons that most people buy one for.

Agreed that the Prius is a slug, but there is a reason why it is engineered like that....the old trade-of between power and economy. That sluggishness translates onto 50-60 MPG....some of the best MPG figures you will find in an ICE vehicle, even hybrid.

If you take my S Class. I could have gotten an S450 and it would have had ample power, they don't feel underpowered at all, very smooth. I'm not a fast aggressive driver, why did I choose the S560? Because the V8 just takes the car to another level and makes it feel much more special. Thats what the LS lost when they went to the TTV6.
I'm not really arguing with your decision (which was yours to make anyway, not mine)......I'm not a big fan of the current LS either, particularly for that kind of money.