Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

I think I made the right decision on the Corsair.

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-20, 08:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default I think I made the right decision on the Corsair.

It's no secret that when the Lincoln Corsair debuted, I was very interested in it, and almost ordered one....this is why.

I found its larger brothers Aviator and Navigator to have stunning interior materials and fit/finish...arguably the best I had seen from Lincoln in decades, as Lincoln, for the most part, had been producing what were essentially rebadged Fords with slightly more trim inside. That went out the window when the current-generation Navigator was introduced several years ago, literally stunning the industry, and catching Cadillac and its competing Escalade flat on its heels...the Escalade is only now, with the impressive upcoming 2021 version, catching up.

However, the Navigator is a BIG chunk of cash, even in its basic version (top Black Label models can easily run 100K or more), and the somewhat smaller Aviator, which more or less copies the Navigator's interior and exterior design at a lower price, is also not exactly chump-change in its pricing, again with the Black Label versions being the most expensive. In fairness, though, the Black Label pricing does offer some nice customer perks, including on-demand washes at any time (something I'd probably like, as I don't trust commercial car washes, and am getting a little old for the bucket/sponge routine every few days.

But the launch of the Aviator, which is based on the Ford Explorer platform and built in Ford's Chicago plant, was a customer and PR disaster, plagued with serious QC problems.....there are some allegations that it was caused by the sabotage of disgruntled employees, but that has not been proved. Nevertheless a lot of new Explorers and Aviators from that plant had so many problems that Ford didn't even try to address them back at the Chicago plant.....those vehicles were sent to the Flat Rock, MI plant (which used to build Mazdas when Ford owned that company) for major repairs. A shame, too, because, otherwise, the Aviator was head and shoulders above the (IMO) unimpressive new 2020 Explorer in terms of its fit/finish, materials, design, and how it drove....the days when Lincoln did rebadged Fords are clearly gone.

Then, for people like me, an even nicer prospect came out....the compact-sized Lincoln Corsair, which, like the MKC before it (which I also liked), was based on the Ford Escape platform but was much nicer inside and out. I say for people like me because, unlike in the past, my negative attitudes towards compact crossovers were changing. Driving/manuvering/parking conditions in my area, particularly at some new stores and parking-garages which have recently opened up and I use regularly (and not to mention the tight and crowded parking spaces in my own condo development) is necessitating that my days of a large vehicle are coming to an end...although most of the vehicles have owned in modern years have not been a large as my Lacrosse. I bought my Lacrosse out of nostalgia more than anything else, as I had not owned a large Buick sedan since the early 1970s in college, and wanted one again.

And I enjoyed the Lacrosse for the better part of four years, except for some minor ongoing transmission issues and a defective climate-control regulator, which kept it in the warranty-shop several days while they replaced it. It offered a level of comfort not often seen today at that price, But, it's clearly time to move on, get something smaller, higher-stance, more maneuverable, more versatile, with AWD like my Subaru Outback had, and more suited to the daily conditions I face.

The Corsair, at first, looked like an ideal choice, as it offered a downsized/compact version of Lincoln's Aviator and Navigator, and was notably easier on the wallet, although one could actually classify it as an inexpensive vehicle by any means. Still, at 35K to start, it wasn't outrageously expensive for something in this class, especially compared to its European compact-size rivals, and the pricey Black Label package isn't even offered. The Build-Your-Own version I would have ordered would probably, with AWD, have run around 40K or so. The Corsair, as befits the Lincoln nameplate, was quite impressive for its size in riding-comfort, noise-isolation, and refinement....I had no complaints with it on the road. The turbo-four engine was as smooth and quiet as a V6.....Lincoln went to great lengths to isolate it behind a double-thickness/reinforced firewall, similar to some of the Buick Quiet-Tuning techniques. The closest Lincoln dealership (Lincolns are sold only out of selected Ford shops) was not that far away...maybe 10 miles. I knew some of the Lincoln salespeople at that dealership (including the owner) from when they had been at other dealerships....and a friend of mine had bought a new Town Car from them for the limo-firm he was involved with.

But, over and above all this, the major reason I felt I perhaps owed Ford or Lincoln a sale was the D.C. Auto Show, which I attend each year with free passes given by local area car-dealerships. Each year, at the show, Ford and Lincoln offer a Sign-Up program for pre-paid Mastercards (Ford $50, Lincoln either a $75 card or a $75 contribution from a list of charities in your name)......you get an E-mail from them, print out the copy, take it to a Ford or Lincoln dealership for a test-drive (I've done several Ford/Lincoln reviews from that) and submit the signed paperwork to get your card(s) in the mail. Technically, the system is not supposed to allow receipt of both cards, but it usually works with me. So, needless to say, Ford has essentially been wasting a fair amount of money on me each year, and not getting anything for it (except my reviews/recommendations). I'm an ethical person, and don't believe in stealing, but, Hey, if the company itself is going to do that program each year, knowing that a lot of the test-drives will not result in sales, then it's probably as much on them as it is me....and I'm sure their corporate budget allows for it.

So, when the Corsair came out, and I was impressed by the test-drive, I thought..."Well, maybe it's time I opened my own wallet and gave this company some of my retirement cash". I myself, despite many test-drives, had never actually owned a Ford product in my life, although my Dad had once owned a used 1965 Thunderbird, and my Mom a new 1988 Mercury Tracer (I did a write-up on the Tracer not long ago)...which was actually a redone Mazda 323, not a true Ford product. So, I was just about to put in an order, when several things came up which caused me to say no, wait. First, I had gotten superb customer-service at my GMC/Chevy/Buick dealership, and, although IMO GM itself is run by morons, this dealership had treated my with excellent courtesy and good service....I saw no credible reason to toss them out the window. Second, news of the Aviator's QC problems at the Chicago plant was starting to make the rounds, and I was concerned that the Corsair, although built in a different plant at Louisville, KY, might not be immune, either. Third, of course, is the risk of buying almost any new vehicle from an American-badged manufacturer...the first-year 2012 Buick Verano I had bought was a relatively safe buy, but it had had a lot of its engineering/design long-tested by Opel, which has a reputation for well-made vehicles. And, even then, its GM-sourced 2.4L Ecotec powerplant had some ring-issues which used oil, and was not without some other very minor issues in the steering-gear and front drive-axle (the steering issue cleared up by itself, without the need for a formal repair). Fourth, the upcoming 2021 Buick Envision was announced, which (along with the Cadillac XT4/XT5) looked like it would be a potential competitor to the Corsair. Of course, it turned out that there were some things about the new Envision I didn't like, including the shifter-design, a sightly larger size than I needed, and the fact that, like the last Envision, it was built in China. I simply was NOT going to help to send money overseas to help that Beijing regime.... probably very little of the vehicle's price would actually go to the workers on the assembly line, if they worked for typical Chinese wages., although money, in general, goes further in China than it does here. But I was determined that any money I spent would go to a plant here in the U.S./Canada or to a friendly overseas country like South Korea (where the Buick Encore GX is built).

So, I chickened out on buying a Corsair, although I didn't like the idea of snubbing Ford/Lincoln after all they had sent me in the mail.....they still send me ads regularly in my E-Mail, as does Buick, Subaru, Kia, and several other automakers. But, such is life....we sometimes have to make decisions, and either choose between the lesser of two evils, the better of two goods, or, sometimes no choice at all.

My concern of potential Corsair reliability, BTW, was at least partially borne out. Though perhaps not quite as defect-prone as the Aviator's well-known problems, the Corsair did turn out to have a number of issues, and Consumer Reports, despite giving it a very nice 82 out of 100 on its road-test, only gives it a 1 out of 5 for reliability.

MM

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-01-20 at 08:55 PM.
Old 12-01-20, 09:59 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 702 Likes on 440 Posts

I have a CR subscription and this does look like a case where a few things are having a disproportionate impact and are being blown out of proportion. The CR data overall seems to show high scores in pretty much all reliability categories except for a couple where there were some recalls/advisories. Based on the CR category breakdowns the car looks to be solid. The Corsair also got a 5/5 for overall satisfaction from owners and 83/100 in the “would buy again”‘category, placing the Corsair third behind only the Tesla Model Y and Porsche Macan. Overall it looks like the vehicle is solid, likely much more reliable than the projection and perhaps most importantly owners seem to like it.
Old 12-02-20, 02:11 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

This is looks like a really nice interior to spend time in . Screen is an little small

https://www.motortrend.com/uploads/s...-dashboard.jpg
Old 12-02-20, 05:01 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I hope you are not experiencing Buyer's Remorse on your Buick purchase, but I think you would have been extremely satisfied with the Corsair if you had pulled the trigger.
Old 12-02-20, 05:18 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
This is looks like a really nice interior to spend time in . Screen is an little small

https://www.motortrend.com/uploads/s...-dashboard.jpg
It does indeed....although until I zoomed in, I thought that for some bizarre reason they had put the button for the hazard flashers on the rim of the steering wheel.
Old 12-02-20, 05:42 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

When I saw the title, pictures and long write up I thought you changed your mind and were getting a Corsair vs. the Encore.
Old 12-02-20, 08:11 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
I hope you are not experiencing Buyer's Remorse on your Buick purchase,
I don't actually have the Encore GX yet......still waiting for a December delivery.

No, no remorse at all. If there was any remorse, I would not have posted this thread.....I don't believe in misleading people. The only thing I wished the Encore GX had was one more cylinder, like the Corsair...but it was not a deal-breaker by any means (neither was the manual hood prop-rod LOL), and the Encore is even more maneuverable and easier to park at close quarters then the Corsair. It also has several handy features that the Corsair lacks...a flat-folding right front seat for extra-long/narrow cargo, an on/off switch for the AWD, and a shut-off switch for the engine start-stop function at idle. And it's about 10K-12 cheaper, the way I equipped it......maybe more, if there are any incentives on the 2021s.

you would have been extremely satisfied with the Corsair if you had pulled the trigger
One thing IS significantly better with the Corsair. Buick used to have the same 6/70 and 4/50 warranty as Lincoln, Lexus, Cadillac, Infiniti, and Acura, but recently pulled it back to the same level as Chevy and GMC....5/60 and 3/36. Again, not a deal-breaker, and my GM dealership has been excellent in its service.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-02-20 at 08:15 AM.
Old 12-02-20, 08:18 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
When I saw the title, pictures and long write up I thought you changed your mind and were getting a Corsair vs. the Encore.

Just give me a couple of years......(just kidding)

Yes, I tend to do long write-ups and be long-winded, but that is just my style. I believe in thorough explanations...although some things occasionally still need to be kept private.
Old 12-02-20, 08:21 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by geko29
It does indeed....although until I zoomed in, I thought that for some bizarre reason they had put the button for the hazard flashers on the rim of the steering wheel.

No.....that button, at 10 O'Clock on the wheel rim, is the voice-activation button.

Old 12-02-20, 08:25 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by swajames
I have a CR subscription and this does look like a case where a few things are having a disproportionate impact and are being blown out of proportion. The CR data overall seems to show high scores in pretty much all reliability categories except for a couple where there were some recalls/advisories. Based on the CR category breakdowns the car looks to be solid. The Corsair also got a 5/5 for overall satisfaction from owners and 83/100 in the “would buy again”‘category, placing the Corsair third behind only the Tesla Model Y and Porsche Macan. Overall it looks like the vehicle is solid, likely much more reliable than the projection and perhaps most importantly owners seem to like it.
Oh definitely CR likes the vehicle, and it did very well in their road test (I agree it is comfortable). But, IMO, that 1 out of 5 reliability-estimate is cause for concern, and I would not feel comfortable with that. True, the Encore GX is still new enough not to have a long-term reliability data, but other small Buick crossovers (except for the late Enclave) have generally had good records.
Old 12-02-20, 08:42 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

It’s too bad GM took away their 4 year warranty for Buick.
Old 12-02-20, 08:46 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
It’s too bad GM took away their 4 year warranty for Buick.

Agreed..but IMO it's not a deal breaker. I think it was just another move to cut costs, although Thanks to Opel, Buick doesn't do a whole lot of warranty work on their smaller products to start with, except for the ring-problems on the N/A 2.4L Ecotec, which is not used any more.
Old 12-02-20, 09:44 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
No.....that button, at 10 O'Clock on the wheel rim, is the voice-activation button.
I know. That's why I said "until I zoomed in".
Old 12-02-20, 10:15 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall

I can't imagine how many times I would accidentally press that button.
Old 12-02-20, 03:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
I can't imagine how many times I would accidentally press that button.

Hey.....It's the perfect thing for people who love to hear themselves talk.

(just a joke......I was not including you in that comment)

Actually, in many airplanes, that's exactly where you will find the built-in mike-button for pilots to speak on the radio, or the plane's intercom......a button on the control-yolk. It's called a Push-to-Talk switch...I've used them myself on numerous occasions, though sometimes it comes with a clip-on assembly that you clip onto the yoke and connect to your headphones.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-02-20 at 04:00 PM.

Quick Reply: I think I made the right decision on the Corsair.