Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Cadillac dealers are jumping ship rather than upgrade for EV sales, report says

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-20, 03:48 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Lots of sources for information other than Tesla. Did you check out the link I posted above from Castrol?
Old 12-06-20, 03:57 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Lots of sources for information other than Tesla. Did you check out the link I posted above from Castrol?
I did. Some of it makes sense.

I also do look at what GM, Hyundai, Toyota, Honda and VW are all doing. How these companies are moving and what they are saying and doing is very relevant as well.
Old 12-06-20, 03:58 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

They will come. This tech will get a LOT cheaper in the coming years.

10 years is a long time, like we said before in the tech world that is an eternity. Do I think most gas stations will add quick charging electric stations within the next 10 years? Absolutely. Once there is money to be made by doing that, they will be clamoring to do it.
What has changed so dramatically since original Model S came out almost 10yrs ago?
Tech will change over time.

Until we see all EV Camry or RAV4 being #1 in sales - all this EV stuff is a niche.

Look at GM - how well did Bolt and Volt do? Aren’t they discontinued now lol

Tesla sells for cool factor, name, street cred etc. Most ppl that buy it do it as a fashion statement. Small percentage do it to save money on gas and even smaller bec its environmentally friendly.

Again please show me ONE automaker besides Tesla that has had any success with selling an EV.
Old 12-06-20, 03:59 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I did. Some of it makes sense.

I also do look at what GM, Hyundai, Toyota, Honda and VW are all doing. How these companies are moving and what they are saying and doing is very relevant as well.
And most of their buzz is about electrification.
Old 12-06-20, 04:02 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
What has changed so dramatically since original Model S came out almost 10yrs ago?
A LOT. Their available range has almost doubled. They have come out with much less expensive models with the same or more range, their charging network has exploded in size. When the Model S came out 8 years ago that was truly a pioneer purchase, remember at first you could only lease them. Now you quite easily can daily drive a Tesla EV.

Until we see all EV Camry or RAV4 being #1 in sales - all this EV stuff is a niche.
That will come with time.

Like I said above, all of these companies aren't going all in on EV for this to just not pan out. EVs are the future.
Old 12-06-20, 04:07 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Tech will change over time.

Look at GM - how well did Bolt and Volt do? Aren’t they discontinued now lol

Tesla sells for cool factor, name, street cred etc. Most ppl that buy it do it as a fashion statement. Small percentage do it to save money on gas and even smaller bec its environmentally friendly.
The 2012 Model S had 265 miles of range and 0-60 in 4s. The new one has 400 miles of range with 0-60 in 2.3s around the same price and can charge significantly faster now. Also, autopilot is significantly better and has way more features like Sentry mode. To say it has stood still is flat out wrong.

Edit: let's not ignore the fact that Tesla hasn't even focused on the Model S. The Model 3 has completely changed the landscape of automobiles, decimating the entry luxury sales with an EV that can go 350 miles for $50k.

Last edited by EZZ; 12-06-20 at 04:11 PM.
Old 12-06-20, 04:21 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

And most of their buzz is about electrification.
I agree that most of the buzz is about electrification. There is a part of marketing and PR in there as well....ex is of the F150....an EV is coming however there is also gas on the low end with hybrid hitting the higher price points....same with some plug ins that are getting better reception...Toyota obviously with their heavy hybrid sales growth and then their new all hybrid Venza and Sienna.....when these models are up for their next generation....I can’t see them becoming 95% battery electric which would make gas a niche. We haven’t added Camry or Camry or the Civics and Accords....I would say 35% adoption in 2030....but the profit margins are not going to accelerate that fast for converting everything

And the companies that can develop ICE, hybrid, plug-in as well as BEV off the same assembly line will be the most profitable and biggest winners. Add FCEV in there as well for areas and markets that will use them.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-06-20 at 04:29 PM.
Old 12-06-20, 04:26 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
The 2012 Model S had 265 miles of range and 0-60 in 4s. The new one has 400 miles of range with 0-60 in 2.3s around the same price and can charge significantly faster now. Also, autopilot is significantly better and has way more features like Sentry mode. To say it has stood still is flat out wrong.

Edit: let's not ignore the fact that Tesla hasn't even focused on the Model S. The Model 3 has completely changed the landscape of automobiles, decimating the entry luxury sales with an EV that can go 350 miles for $50k.
Decimated how exactly? Serious question.
They are still a niche model in luxury sector.

Again I like Tesla and impressed by their tech and driving capabilities. I truly enjoyed driving the Model 3. Part of my and other people’s attraction to the brand bec its cool and new.

I would care less about EV 3 or 5series unless it’s cheaper than gas version and can recharge in 5minutes.

In regards to ModelS - those are nice updates but hardly revolutionary in 10yrs time almost.
Old 12-06-20, 04:48 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,061 Likes on 2,573 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Google "mining for lithium." Nothing in life is free.
This is part of the largest lithium mine in the world. What is different about this than mining anything else.

Cadillac dealers are jumping ship rather than upgrade for EV sales, report says-smz8oyqh.jpg
Old 12-06-20, 04:54 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 236 Likes on 198 Posts

In regards to ModelS - those are nice updates but hardly revolutionary in 10yrs time almost.
Agree. Tech is advancing big time (I think it really took off after turn of millennium) but car propulsion as we know it isn’t going to change this fast.

I said 50 years which was probably too much but 10 years is a stretch, too.. I’m about to be 39. I feel that until I’m unable to drive physically I’ll be able to, for the most part, drive what I want. ICE won’t be extinct by then. It may not go extinct at all.
Old 12-06-20, 04:58 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Who says its going extinct? You take it to extremes.
Old 12-06-20, 04:59 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 236 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
This is part of the largest lithium mine in the world. What is different about this than mining anything else.

In an EV-centric world do you realize how much of it we’d have to be doing? Environmentalists won’t be happy (are they ever though?) with it. All this alternate stuff, there’s a catch to everything. Disposing of batteries are also bad for the environment.

It’s not like we are in the 1970s era with cars now. They’re astoundingly efficient and clean.

Old 12-06-20, 05:06 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The batteries won't be disposed of, they will be recycled into new batteries.
Old 12-06-20, 05:13 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,061 Likes on 2,573 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
In an EV-centric world do you realize how much of it we’d have to be doing?
Yes, and it will replace the massive environmental damage caused by oil exploration, extraction, refinement, transport, and burning.
Environmentalists won’t be happy (are they ever though?) with it. All this alternate stuff, there’s a catch to everything. Disposing of batteries are also bad for the environment.
The batteries are not tossed in land fills they are recycled. It is cheaper and easier to extract the materials from used batteries than it is to mine the materials from scratch.
It’s not like we are in the 1970s era with cars now. They’re astoundingly efficient and clean.
Their production still requires iron, aluminum, chromium, cobalt etc. in fact a BEV and ICE car are very similar in construction, the difference is the engine, exhaust, fuel system etc. is replaced with batteries and electric motors. The energy payback on a BEV is 3-11 years and keeps getting better. In Canada a BEV is super clean since ~70% of electricity generation is from renewables.

Old 12-06-20, 05:43 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Decimated how exactly? Serious question.
They are still a niche model in luxury sector.

Again I like Tesla and impressed by their tech and driving capabilities. I truly enjoyed driving the Model 3. Part of my and other people’s attraction to the brand bec its cool and new.

I would care less about EV 3 or 5series unless it’s cheaper than gas version and can recharge in 5minutes.

https://cleantechnica.com/2019/08/10...y-a-landslide/

Look at the US sales of the entry luxury sales and they are decreasing every quarter while the Model 3 is increasing. The article above has a nice graphic where you can click on the quarterly sales and see how Tesla is impacting the sales. Yes crossovers have also done damage to that segment but lets not be naive about Tesla's overall impact to the industry. Also, the BMW 3 series is the 2nd most typical convert to a Model 3 in the last survey which isn't surprising as Elon basically markets the car to that brand.

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2...evolution.html

I agree that the Model S improvements aren't revolutionary but they are significant. If the current pace of innovation keeps up, you will either have a 1000 mile Model 3 for $50k, or 500 mile Model 3 for $30k in 5-10 years. Also, BEV is far better than hybrids...you still have the maintenance costs of hybrids but BEVs are so much simpler and the operating costs are so low. Not to mention, EVs will create performance parity across the manufacturers. Its pretty simple to make a fast EV as you just add some additional MOSFETTS to the inverters and make them dual motor to get in the 3s range. The current performance bottleneck is just the battery output...the newer batteries coming out will be outperform the current versions quite significantly...as evident by the Plaid Model S with its high 8s quarter mile estimates.

Quick Reply: Cadillac dealers are jumping ship rather than upgrade for EV sales, report says