Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New Lexus electric and Hybrid Systems, and possible sneak peak at the next gen NX?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-20 | 10:50 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by coolsaber
We are in agreement that the ES can never really become the true successor for the GS. I do hope that whatever EV products are in the pipeline change that but I wouldnt hold my breath on it.
Indeed. And no disrespect to the ES, and I think eAxle will be a great addition to it. But like others, once I am done with my current GS, I'll have to go elsewhere as they will no longer offer the kind of product I am looking for. Though I highly suspect my wife will eventually want to trade in her Highlander for another Lexus CUV/SUV at some point. So we won't be gone completely.
Old 12-08-20 | 11:25 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

EVs will also greatly increase reliability across manufacturers for powertrains. BMW repairs can be expensive due to their complexity in their powertrains but EV's are much simpler vehicles. When that is equalized across manufacturers, then other aspects of the car will be more important (luxury, service, handling, etc...) so I'm sure many non-Lexus EVs may be appealing to current Lexus owners.
Old 12-08-20 | 12:44 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by EZZ
EVs will also greatly increase reliability across manufacturers for powertrains. BMW repairs can be expensive due to their complexity in their powertrains but EV's are much simpler vehicles. When that is equalized across manufacturers, then other aspects of the car will be more important (luxury, service, handling, etc...) so I'm sure many non-Lexus EVs may be appealing to current Lexus owners.
EZZ: BMW will increase in reliability when it switches to EV
BMW: Hold my beer
Old 12-08-20 | 12:57 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by coolsaber
EZZ: BMW will increase in reliability when it switches to EV
BMW: Hold my beer
I did say powertrains. I'm sure the door actuators will be just as prone to breaking as it is in current BMWs...
Old 12-08-20 | 01:00 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Talking

Originally Posted by EZZ
I did say powertrains. I'm sure the door actuators will be just as prone to breaking as it is in current BMWs...
BMW: How dare you share that blasphemy, the director of efficient dynamics stated that plastic actuators allow us to reduce our environmental impact, increase our performance metrics by 0.000000000001%, and build driver-service bay relations.
Old 12-08-20 | 03:20 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Pretty Amazing. I just love that the logo is lit like that.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-08-20 at 03:31 PM.
Old 12-08-20 | 03:24 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

e-TNGA is being released next year, first will be SUV from Toyota.

e-axle will go into hybrids and PHEVs as well.
At the end of the day, Toyota will be the most profitable maker of ev motors. So many applications where it can be installed. Huge economies of scale.

Direct4 is a pretty nice trademark.
Old 12-08-20 | 05:01 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
At the end of the day, Toyota will be the most profitable maker of ev motors. So many applications where it can be installed. Huge economies of scale.

Direct4 is a pretty nice trademark.
I wouldn't be at all surprized if you're right.
Old 12-08-20 | 06:48 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Motorola
An e-axle will not make the ES become a RWD-biased car no more than it helped the RAV4 Prime with the same system.

Why do people continue sharing this guy's videos when all he does is read from the same press releases and spec sheets as we do? He's not even a motoring journalist.
Rav4 Prime does not have same system, Direct4 is not in production currently.
Old 12-08-20 | 06:49 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by peteharvey
I wouldn't be at all surprized if you're right.
she already is - Toyota is largest manufacturer of ev motors (probably produce over 4 million per year) and is most profitable manufacturer
Old 12-09-20 | 02:00 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

It all comes down to profits....who can make the most affordable, mainstream suite of electric offerings (hybrid, BEV and FCEV) while maintaining profit margins that are on par with their current offerings in the ICE realm....
Old 12-09-20 | 02:31 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Lexus needs to get rid of the hideous spindle grill already.
ok no more spindle discussion here please.

Originally Posted by Motorola
Why do people continue sharing this guy's videos when all he does is read from the same press releases and spec sheets as we do? He's not even a motoring journalist.
yeah his videos are pathetic.

Old 12-09-20 | 05:15 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Interesting stuff.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...-electric-suv/

In this case, it features a 174-horsepower gasoline engine, a 107-hp electric motor powering the front wheels and another 107-hp electric motor powering the rear wheels
Old 12-09-20 | 06:30 PM
mikedozz
Instructor

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
close to 400hp in an EV ES, that 0-60 has to be under 5 right...
Old 12-13-20 | 09:39 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Toyota seems to be developing a game-changing electric car battery that will boast impressive specs while avoiding the pitfalls of many existing vehicles.

https://www.unilad.co.uk/technology/...on-one-charge/

Quick Reply: New Lexus electric and Hybrid Systems, and possible sneak peak at the next gen NX?