Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New Lexus electric and Hybrid Systems, and possible sneak peak at the next gen NX?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-20, 08:52 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts
Default New Lexus electric and Hybrid Systems, and possible sneak peak at the next gen NX?

Didnt know today was showcase day.

Looks like the size of an NX, but could be a seperate model altogether to launch their EV push.
Direct4 X BEV
2 motors.
1 Front motor, output 150 kW, Max Tq 300
1 Rear motor, output 150 kW, Max Tq 300
Old 12-07-20, 09:34 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Lexus needs to get rid of the hideous spindle grill already. That preview really is scary to see where they are going with styling. Can’t they hire someone from Alfa Romeo?

Hopefully these new EVs will be on a new RWD based platform.
Old 12-07-20, 09:48 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Lexus needs to get rid of the hideous spindle grill already. That preview really is scary to see where they are going with styling. Can’t they hire someone from Alfa Romeo?

I actually hope they loose rwd vs fwd all together and prioritize space efficiency. Remove the frunk, give me the biggest battery possible and use the number of motors and software programming to achieve desired level of performance for that model.
Old 12-07-20, 01:18 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This pretty much is a nail in the coffin for RWD vehicles in the low and mid range. They've discovered RLX Sport Hybrid SH-AWD and hopefully they get it right.
Old 12-07-20, 02:26 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 457 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3

The spindle grille is a very subjective topic.
I think it looks fine.
The RX has a lovely spindle grille selling 110k units/year USA.

If I'm not wrong, Lexus' early BEV's will use the existing ICEV platforms like GA-C for the UX300e, and GA-K for the ES and the forthcoming NX BEV's.
Lexus' dedicated e-TNGA BEV platform won't be released till around 2025.
Dedicated e-TNGA BEV platforms will probably provide longer wheelbases and wider tracks for larger battery packs.

Furthermore, the early BEV's are only Lion-based; later on, they will use solid state batteries.

With BEV's, unlike traditional ICEV's, being front/mid/rear engined or FWD/RWD based won't really matter any more, because all BEV's use a battery pack under the floor for near perfect 50/50 weight distribution, and although base model BEV's may be either FWD or RWD only, flagship BEV's will ultimately be AWD.

Last edited by peteharvey; 12-07-20 at 02:38 PM.
Old 12-07-20, 05:55 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
The spindle grille is a very subjective topic.
I think it looks fine.
The RX has a lovely spindle grille selling 110k units/year USA.

If I'm not wrong, Lexus' early BEV's will use the existing ICEV platforms like GA-C for the UX300e, and GA-K for the ES and the forthcoming NX BEV's.
Lexus' dedicated e-TNGA BEV platform won't be released till around 2025.
Dedicated e-TNGA BEV platforms will probably provide longer wheelbases and wider tracks for larger battery packs.

Furthermore, the early BEV's are only Lion-based; later on, they will use solid state batteries.

With BEV's, unlike traditional ICEV's, being front/mid/rear engined or FWD/RWD based won't really matter any more, because all BEV's use a battery pack under the floor for near perfect 50/50 weight distribution, and although base model BEV's may be either FWD or RWD only, flagship BEV's will ultimately be AWD.
e-TNGA is being released next year, first will be SUV from Toyota.

e-axle will go into hybrids and PHEVs as well.
Old 12-08-20, 12:13 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Seems like the recent news of the 4 wheel independent power/E-axle on the ES hybrid explains why the GS is cancelled. The ES is a better known nameplate with the general public and an E-axle ES hybrid can have all the RWD dynamics of a GS.

The ES hybrid/EV with the E-axle/4 wheel independent drive can be dialed in to have Rear Wheel Drive Dynamics without the space robbing and weight adding central transmission tunnel.

So Lexus can have their cake (Rear Wheel Dynamics) and eat it too (the Spaciousness of a Front Wheel Drive car and weight savings with the central transmission omission). An ES500h hybrid with Rear Wheel Bias Power/Torque distribution will be very very interesting indeed.

Last edited by natnut; 12-08-20 at 12:34 AM.
Old 12-08-20, 04:04 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Old 12-08-20, 07:49 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
Seems like the recent news of the 4 wheel independent power/E-axle on the ES hybrid explains why the GS is cancelled. The ES is a better known nameplate with the general public and an E-axle ES hybrid can have all the RWD dynamics of a GS.

The ES hybrid/EV with the E-axle/4 wheel independent drive can be dialed in to have Rear Wheel Drive Dynamics without the space robbing and weight adding central transmission tunnel.

So Lexus can have their cake (Rear Wheel Dynamics) and eat it too (the Spaciousness of a Front Wheel Drive car and weight savings with the central transmission omission). An ES500h hybrid with Rear Wheel Bias Power/Torque distribution will be very very interesting indeed.
The eAxle will help, but sending power to the rear wheels is never going to change the fact that the gasoline engine hangs out in front of the front wheels. It will always be nose heavy and its handling will suffer accordingly.
Old 12-08-20, 10:08 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

An e-axle will not make the ES become a RWD-biased car no more than it helped the RAV4 Prime with the same system.

Originally Posted by natnut
Why do people continue sharing this guy's videos when all he does is read from the same press releases and spec sheets as we do? He's not even a motoring journalist.
Old 12-08-20, 10:21 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Interesting tech on its own and very excited to see what they do with it. I hope they match it to a platform and car that can fully exploit its full potential along with serious advances in battery tech, because when it comes to EV, I'm not checking for Toyota/Lexus in any way right now. Hoping for the best.
Old 12-08-20, 10:27 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ES with advanced hybrid setup will not be GS450h competitor by any means. If you want the answer to how it would drive you can try to somehow test drive RLX Hybrid. I drove one and I think it kicks Lexus butt in the way what you should expect from a hybrid but it's no GS450h on the road, sure it's quicker, it handles like it's on rails but you can tell this car still has that FWD plush ride DNA in it. Now GS450h with e axle on front is something I would die for. Or even better with two electric motors for each wheel up front for better cornering.
Old 12-08-20, 10:34 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Motorola
An e-axle will not make the ES become a RWD-biased car no more than it helped the RAV4 Prime with the same system.

Why do people continue sharing this guy's videos when all he does is read from the same press releases and spec sheets as we do? He's not even a motoring journalist.
It depends on what the program target was. Yes as @JDR76 you can not inherently change physics BUT you can take a page out of Acuras book.

The traditional spectrum is FWD/boring but spacious to RWD/tight but performance.
Acura brought out SH-AWD since they didnt have the budget for a RWD platform and split the difference. Toyota here is essentially doing the same. You can advertise that its handles better at the edge of performance limit better then a FWD car, while to those who need the space you get that out of the box plus an all weather drive system.

Old 12-08-20, 10:40 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
It depends on what the program target was. Yes as @JDR76 you can not inherently change physics BUT you can take a page out of Acuras book.

The traditional spectrum is FWD/boring but spacious to RWD/tight but performance.
Acura brought out SH-AWD since they didnt have the budget for a RWD platform and split the difference. Toyota here is essentially doing the same. You can advertise that its handles better at the edge of performance limit better then a FWD car, while to those who need the space you get that out of the box plus an all weather drive system.
I definitely agree that you can still have a great handling car with a transverse engine (FWD) layout and AWD. But as you said, it depends on what the program target was, and I do not believe the target of the ES was to be a sports sedan. I'd be happy to be proven wrong, but I don't think the eAxle will make the ES comparable to the GS in terms of handling. And yes, I acknowledge my bias which may not be fair to the ES.
Old 12-08-20, 10:44 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JDR76
I definitely agree that you can still have a great handling car with a transverse engine (FWD) layout and AWD. But as you said, it depends on what the program target was, and I do not believe the target of the ES was to be a sports sedan. I'd be happy to be proven wrong, but I don't think the eAxle will make the ES comparable to the GS in terms of handling. And yes, I acknowledge my bias which may not be fair to the ES.
We are in agreement that the ES can never really become the true successor for the GS. I do hope that whatever EV products are in the pipeline change that but I wouldnt hold my breath on it.

Quick Reply: New Lexus electric and Hybrid Systems, and possible sneak peak at the next gen NX?