Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

California and Washington ban Chevrolet's Camaro SS and ZL1

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-20, 08:44 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default California and Washington ban Chevrolet's Camaro SS and ZL1

Their brake pads contain too much copper, which kills fish

Enthusiasts in California and in Washington should act fast if they want to put a new Chevrolet Camaro SS or ZL1 in their garage. Both models are now illegal in those states due to the percentage of copper in their brake pads.

California's Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC) stepped up its efforts to regulate brake pads in 2010, when then-governor Arnold Schwarzenegger signed a bill called the California Motor Vehicle Brake Friction Material Law. It prohibits carmakers and suppliers from selling brake pads "containing more than trace amounts of copper, certain heavy metals, and asbestos." Pads containing heavy metals and asbestos were banned in 2014, and a ban on brake pads containing more than 5% copper will come into effect in January 2021.
Lawmakers explained copper is toxic to many aquatic organisms. While trout don't snack on high-performance brake pads, the dust generated while braking (the same stuff you often have to clean off of your wheels) sometimes finds its way into rivers and contaminates the water, which in turn harms the animals living in it.Only the high-power SS and ZL1 variants of the Camaro are affected by the ban; the other versions remain available in California and in Washington. And, while dealers legally need to stop taking orders, the cars they still have in their inventory are fair game. Both models remain available elsewhere across America.

Looking ahead, Chevrolet plans to reintroduce the SS and the ZL1 in the states that banned them for the 2022 model year. It will work with its suppliers to design high-performance brake pads that comply with the regulations.

"We will resume allowing customers in California and Washington state to order the Camaro SS, ZL1 and 1LE models in 2022 when we introduce a new brake system that is compliant with the copper requirements," company spokesperson Kevin Kelly said in a statement sent to enthusiast website GM Authority.

Brake pads aren't the only source of pollutants that cause harm to marine organisms. According to scientists, a chemical called 6PPD that's used in many tires and carried into rivers by the rain is responsible for killing coho salmons along the Pacific coast. In 2019, researchers measured microparticles and microplastics in stormwater from 12 small tributaries in the San Francisco area, and they noticed nearly half of them were black with a rubbery texture. "One potential source of these particles is vehicle tire wear," the study concluded.

Unlike environmentalists (and not surprisingly), major players in the tire industry stress that these particles present no significant risk to humans and the environment. Still, lawmakers are considering handing tire manufacturers stricter regulations.
Source
Old 12-11-20, 09:13 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,621 Likes on 1,034 Posts

Unrelated but the ferry and lighthouse in that picture is about 5 miles from my house. I often use that park as my turn around point on my weekend runs.
Old 12-11-20, 11:51 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
Unrelated but the ferry and lighthouse in that picture is about 5 miles from my house. I often use that park as my turn around point on my weekend runs.
Haha! Very cool. Beautiful backdrop
Old 12-11-20, 12:02 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

Is this to save that Delta smelt? That fish that caused so much economic damage?
Old 12-11-20, 01:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Pads containing heavy metals and asbestos were banned in 2014, and a ban on brake pads containing more than 5% copper will come into effect in January 2021.
Not sure where the guy who wrote this article is coming from. Asbestos in brake pads has been banned a LOT longer than just back to 2014......both in CA and nationwide.
Old 12-11-20, 01:55 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 170 Likes on 101 Posts

As silly as this whole thing sounds or seems, there may be one good additional outcome. A few less of these beasts street racing at night keeping us all up. And the tire shredding from the take-overs and donuts causes far more toxicity into the drainage system than the brake dust. Maybe they should put their focus on that instead of the brakes.
Old 12-11-20, 04:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
As silly as this whole thing sounds or seems, there may be one good additional outcome. A few less of these beasts street racing at night keeping us all up. And the tire shredding from the take-overs and donuts causes far more toxicity into the drainage system than the brake dust. Maybe they should put their focus on that instead of the brakes.

^^^^ Totally agree with Fizzboy. Street-racing is still a scourge today, just like it was a half-century ago during the Age of American muscle-cars. I can hear these morons at night, particularly on Fridays/Saturdays, even through thermal-windows, winding up towards redline. We have had some fatalities in the area from it....particularly on back roads.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-11-20 at 04:11 PM.
Old 12-12-20, 01:00 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 309 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Not sure where the guy who wrote this article is coming from. Asbestos in brake pads has been banned a LOT longer than just back to 2014......both in CA and nationwide.
He's coming from a place of knowing the facts. The acceptable level of asbestos in brake pads in California and Washington was reduced to 0.1% on January 1, 2015. No such nationwide standard exists. A ban was proposed in 1989, but ultimately struck down by the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals.
Old 12-12-20, 04:50 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Guess where I was today...

Old 12-12-20, 05:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDR76
Guess where I was today...
2015 2019 2020 Lexus GS350 AWD F Sport
Your signature seems to explain it. Congratulations.

Now you'll have to start a new thread.
Old 12-12-20, 06:44 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 507 Likes on 441 Posts

I would of figured that GM would be on top of this.....Another possibility is to keep the production low= possible higher pricing. FCA is on top of this, So Dodge is good to go.....Get your Hellcat's for '21.....
Old 12-13-20, 04:10 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Brake pads aren't the only source of pollutants that cause harm to marine organisms. According to scientists, a chemical called 6PPD that's used in many tires and carried into rivers by the rain is responsible for killing coho salmons along the Pacific coast.
The issue of coho salmons is nothing new....they were an environmental concern as far back as the 70s.
Old 12-14-20, 10:41 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Your signature seems to explain it. Congratulations.

Now you'll have to start a new thread.
I was just further derailing the thread by pointing out that I was at the same park as the Camaro in the picture from the article.

Thanks, but it was back in September. I had a thread in the GS forum.