Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Fiat 124, 500L dead for 2021

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-20, 01:57 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Fiat 124, 500L dead for 2021

Fiat soldiers on as a one-model nameplate for 2021

2020 is the final model year for the Fiat 124 Spider and the 500L, FCA announced Wednesday. The Miata-based roadster and family-ish hatchback will not return for 2021, slicing Fiat's U.S. portfolio to just a single model in one fell swoop.

"For the 2021 model year, the Fiat lineup will feature the Fiat 500X small crossover, which offers unique and functional Italian design, standard all-wheel-drive capability, 9-speed automatic transmission, 30 mpg highway and best-in-class 210 lb-ft of torque," Fiat said in its announcement. "The Fiat 124 Spider and the Fiat 500L will be discontinued after the 2020 model year."

A joint-development project between Mazda and FCA, the reborn 124 Spider was originally supposed to be an Alfa Romeo. At what seemed like the last minute, labor issues and an Alfa product development shuffle shunted the project to Fiat.

The final product was an interesting blend of Italian and Japanese style and engineering. The engine and exterior design were provided by Fiat; the platform, transmission and interior all came from Mazda. The result was a slightly heavier and more powerful roadster than the Miata on which it was based.

As an added bonus, the enthusiast-friendly Abarth model, with the same upgrades Mazda offered on the MX-5 Club, was cheaper trim-for-trim, especially after Fiat's far more generous discounts. Since then, the 124's advantages have been somewhat overshadowed by improvements to the Miata, which got a more potent engine for the 2019 model year.

On the other hand, we wouldn't blame you if you'd forgotten that the 500L was still in production at all. Apart from a core group of loyal buyers, the frumpy hatchback never really caught on in the United States.

Fiat also announced several trim updates and some pricing changes for its sole remaining model. The base 500X gets a $250 price hike (up to $26,335 after a $1,495 destination charge), and Fiat is introducing new packages for the Sport model to give potential customers more flexibility.

The Fiat's platform-mate, the Jeep Renegade, remains cheaper, but its standard engine is the naturally aspirated 2.4-liter Tigershark"4-cylinder, while the 1.3-liter turbocharged engine is a $1,495 upgrade.
Source
Old 12-23-20, 02:03 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

It's a good thing they don't call themselves "Fiat-Chrysler Automobiles" anymore, because there next to nothing left for Fiat and Chrysler to sell.

I would gladly kill off both brands in the U.S. in exchange for some of the Peugeot models. Make it happen, Stellantis.

Old 12-23-20, 02:30 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Side-effect for taking Stellantis includes death of Fiat
Old 12-23-20, 04:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

We've known for a while that the 124 was going....it was announced months ago.

I at least partly blame the public for it. They keep buying up the Miata, but basically ignored the 124, apparently not aware of the fact that, except for the Italian-sourced MultiAir turbo engine, it is the same car mechanically as the Miata, with what IMO are better-looking front and rear ends. They are even built in the same Mazda-operated Hiroshima, Japan plant.

And that is a prime example of the importance of education when one goes car-shopping. Excellent products are sometimes turned down or ignored through simple lack of knowledge.

Now, just for the record, I'm not refering to you, davyjordi...I know that you had a 124 and sold it off because you didn't like its high noise level and the firm ride. And, yes, it's true.....cars like that are simply not built for long-distance cruising on the Interstates, but to tackle tight/winding roads.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-23-20 at 06:16 PM.
Old 12-23-20, 05:32 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
We've known for a while that the 124 was going....it was announced months ago.

I at least partly blame the public for it. They keep buying up the Miata, but basically ignored the 124, apparently not aware of the fact that, except for the Italian-sourced MultiAir turbo engine, it is the same car mechanically as the Miata, with what IMO are better-looking front and rear ends. They are even built in the same Mazda-operated Hiroshima, Japan plant.

And that is a prime example of the importance of education when one goes car-shopping. Excellent products are sometimes turned down or ignored through simple lack of knowledge.

Now, just for the record, I'm not refering to you, davyjordl...I know that you had a 124 and sold it off because you didn't like its high noise level and the firm ride. And, yes, it's true.....cars like that are simply not built for long-distance cruising on the Interstates, but to tackle tight/winding roads.
haha, i didn't think anyone would remember my car buying summer adventures!
Old 12-23-20, 06:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by davyjordi
haha, i didn't think anyone would remember my car buying summer adventures!

Yes, you did at least one or two whole threads on them.
Old 12-23-20, 06:53 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes, you did at least one or two whole threads on them.
expect another series of threads the next time i'm in the market for a car! haha

no, i've committed to doing thorough research next time around and that won't be for awhile!