Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

santa delivers an lc500...

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-21, 07:58 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Oh the upgraded Burmester is supposed to be great. My Burmester not so much. I've actually gotten used to it to a large degree...I may just leave it as is.
Old 01-06-21, 08:46 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,479 Likes on 1,629 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Oh the upgraded Burmester is supposed to be great. My Burmester not so much. I've actually gotten used to it to a large degree...I may just leave it as is.
that's good. i'm actually not a huge bass fan, i turned the ML bass down a bit from default. still thumps, lol

Old 01-06-21, 08:58 AM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 493 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
that's good. i'm actually not a huge bass fan, i turned the ML bass down a bit from default. still thumps, lol
Funny, I do the same, turn the bass down, in my 2008 SC ML system. One would think a high-end system would be equalized flat by default, not bass-boosted. It's probably what the average listener prefers.
Old 01-06-21, 10:52 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah, big bass on the ML, I never ran mine at the top either. Thats whats lacking in the Burmester, its not the thumping its the depth of the music that comes from the low end.
Old 01-08-21, 10:43 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,206 Likes on 835 Posts

I don't usually post in car chat but I'm always lurking... Coming from a huge SC fan - I'm thrilled to see your LC. I hope you enjoy it - it appears to be a truly wonderful vehicle. 5 year from now me hopes to have either a new Zupra or one of these as a worthy SC replacement.
Old 01-08-21, 01:17 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RudysSC
I don't usually post in car chat but I'm always lurking... Coming from a huge SC fan - I'm thrilled to see your LC. I hope you enjoy it - it appears to be a truly wonderful vehicle. 5 year from now me hopes to have either a new Zupra or one of these as a worthy SC replacement.
thank you so much! one video i watched showed a drag race between supra and lc500... the supra won but the drivers agreed the lc500 sounded way better and the supra interior was super cheap.
Old 01-08-21, 01:33 PM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,206 Likes on 835 Posts

So I've heard! I can't get over the flowing review on "The Smoking Tire" on the LC. It sounds like you've scored what could be the last great Japanese V8 front engine coupe. Love it!
Old 01-08-21, 01:50 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

thank you so much! one video i watched showed a drag race between supra and lc500... the supra won but the drivers agreed the lc500 sounded way better and the supra interior was super cheap.
The Supra is not in the same league with LC. 😬
I have tried to love the new Supra as I always wanted one when i was in HS and MKIV were new. I drove several and sat inside a bunch. To me it was a HUGE disappointment and has no personality.
I’m a big fan of the LC as it’s actually FUN to drive and has a “soul” as ppl love to say. When I was shopping this summer, the deals on them were very attractive.
Old 02-01-21, 02:56 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

Congrats on the stunning car Paul!!!! Hands down the only ICE car I'd ever get if I ever had to get an ICE again. Stunning color combination too! So what was the tipping point - Android Auto availability?
Old 02-01-21, 08:49 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hameed
Congrats on the stunning car Paul!!!! Hands down the only ICE car I'd ever get if I ever had to get an ICE again. Stunning color combination too!
thanks my friend!

So what was the tipping point - Android Auto availability?
Ha, that wasn't a deal breaker but a nice to have for sure. Tipping point was a growing appreciation for these beasts and many youtube reviews of it and the likelihood that this vehicle isn't going to be around a lot longer, guessing a year or two? So i wanted this keeper. Oh actually 2020 was really the tipping point. After a year like we've all had, anything can happen and i needed something fun and with passion. The LC is exquisite.

but my NEXT car will be electric, but not to replace the LC.
Old 02-02-21, 07:14 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

thanks my friend!

Ha, that wasn't a deal breaker but a nice to have for sure. Tipping point was a growing appreciation for these beasts and many youtube reviews of it and the likelihood that this vehicle isn't going to be around a lot longer, guessing a year or two? So i wanted this keeper. Oh actually 2020 was really the tipping point. After a year like we've all had, anything can happen and i needed something fun and with passion. The LC is exquisite.

but my NEXT car will be electric, but not to replace the LC.
Agreed, when you're in the market eventually for the next car, the EV landscape will be a lot maturer than it is currently. You will have tons more options (charging will be faster, batteries will have more range and be lighter) and the charging infrastructure for trips will be a lot better for legacy car manufacturer's. I can see you in a 2nd gen Macan EV.
Old 02-06-21, 09:00 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

learned some more about my car today...

Nothing revolutionary but the up/down arrow on the steering wheel change what's displayed in the center of the gauge. It can do fuel economy, tire pressures, current gear, g-forces meter radar cruise status, etc.

The trunk cargo net is best used flat, not vertical like a curtain. You can then place things under it to hold them in place.
here's my heavy laptop bag held in place.

the lane departure warning / lane keep assist is much inferior to that in my genesis g90. In the g90, with hands of steering wheel, the car doesn't beep or anything, it just dead accurately steers the car around curves between the lines.

on the lexus, for the lane keep assist (LKA) part, there's sensitivity for that, and another sensitivity setting called 'sway' which seems to be how aggressive the lka is so it doesn't sway between the left and right? anyway, had to put that on high sensitivity or it's pretty worthless.

tl;dr - on defaults LDW/LKA will beep a lot and let the car go off the road. with high sensitivity for LKA and 'sway' it's pretty good.

Interestingly the buttons to turn these things on/off is on the steering wheel.

The radar cruise works great, as do the rain sensing wipers (first time i was in rain was today).

fuel economy seems to range form 14 to 30 depending on enthusiasm of one's right foot and the drive mode.

Even in 'eco' mode, the car is still fast.

The low profile dunlop sport runflats are better than i would have expected.
Old 02-06-21, 09:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Nothing revolutionary but the up/down arrow on the steering wheel change what's displayed in the center of the gauge. It can do fuel economy, tire pressures, current gear, g-forces meter radar cruise status, etc.
That set-up on the steering wheel and dash-display is more or less par-for-the-course on many vehicles today.....except, of course, that the average vehicle doesn't have a G-Meter (nor needs one).

I usually keep the default-display on the tire-pressures, because they are critically important, and if you pick up a nail and get a slow leak, the display will let you know before it completely runs down flat.

The trunk cargo net is best used flat, not vertical like a curtain. You can then place things under it to hold them in place.
here's my heavy laptop bag held in place.

I see your car came with a First-Aid kit.....over there on the right. Lexus used to include them standard, but now, on some models, it is an option.

the lane departure warning / lane keep assist is much inferior to that in my genesis g90. In the g90, with hands of steering wheel, the car doesn't beep or anything, it just dead accurately steers the car around curves between the lines.
Does your system work at lower speeds? In the Encore GX, it only works at 37 MPH and above, when a green light comes on in the dash and/or Heads-Up-Display (which my car has) to let you know it is ready for use. It can also be turned off.

on the lexus, for the lane keep assist (LKA) part, there's sensitivity for that, and another sensitivity setting called 'sway' which seems to be how aggressive the lka is so it doesn't sway between the left and right? anyway, had to put that on high sensitivity or it's pretty worthless.
It can get annoying, though, if it is too sensitive. Some systems not only sound a warning beep or chime, but also tug the wheel.

fuel economy seems to range form 14 to 30 depending on enthusiasm of one's right foot and the drive mode.
That's not bad for a 5.0L, although today's V8s can be surprisingly thrifty.

Even in 'eco' mode, the car is still fast.
If it wasn't, it wouldn't be an LC.

The low profile dunlop sport runflats are better than i would have expected.
"Better" meaning a smoother ride, better handling, or both?

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-07-21 at 08:05 AM.
Old 02-07-21, 06:29 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah they are way behind on the self driving tech...
Old 02-07-21, 06:41 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That set-up on the steering wheel and dash-display is more or less par-for-the-course on many vehicles today.....except, of course, that the average vehicle doesn't have a G-Meter (nor needs one).

I usually keep the default-display on the tire-pressures, because they are critically important, and if you pick up a nail and get a slow leak, the display will let you know before it completely runs sown flat.

I see your car came with a First-Aid kit.....over there on the right. Lexus used to include them standard, but now, on some models, it is an option.

Does your system work at lower speeds? In the Encore GX, it only works at 37 MPH and above, when a green light comes on in the dash and/or Heads-Up-Display (which my car has) to let you know it is ready for use. It can also be turned off.

It can get annoying, though, if it is too sensitive. Some systems not only sound a warning beep or chime, but also tug the wheel.

That's not bad for a 5.0L, although today's V8s can be surprisingly thrifty.

If it wasn't, it wouldn't be an LC.

"Better" meaning a smoother ride, better handling, or both?
I have it on my new 4R. But it only warns...doesn’t correct. I absolutely hate it. One of the dumbest features ever invented for a car as it’s so damn annoying

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-07-21 at 06:47 AM.

Quick Reply: santa delivers an lc500...