Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

santa delivers an lc500...

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-21, 06:14 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
No, he means his client as someone at his own house vs at someone's office lol

I'll live in the horse barn just like it is lol

And bit, if you're gonna sell it...nows the time to sell it. Only issue is...you've got to buy something else...
Sell it, rent something for a year, but it back for half the price lol.
Old 05-22-21, 06:18 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Sell it, rent something for a year, but it back for half the price lol.
I don't think thats going to happen lol
Old 09-07-21, 02:52 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Old 09-07-21, 02:29 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,480 Likes on 1,630 Posts

thanks natnut. saw and posted that in the LC500 sub-forum. it's a great video. obviously i don't abuse my LC like savagegeese has (his is leased too).

took a 500+ mile round trip in the LC this weekend... thoughts on that here rather than reposting.
Took a 500+ mile trip this weekend... - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion
Old 01-07-22, 01:16 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

1 year update... so I've had the lc500 just over a year now.
i've done about 4000 miles. no issues. I got paint protection film (PPF) on the whole front end of the car, and sills, and had the car ceramic coated too.
will take it for its first oil change and checkup soon. I don't live close to a dealer so could go to a couple of different ones (75-100 mi. away).

thoughts on the car now...

I still love taking it for a drive.
the rear steering and VGRS are a true joy and my favorite feature. I'm more of a handing guy than a speed guy.
the built in nav is a bit lame but fortunately with android auto and apple CarPlay I can use the phone's apps and that works well.
the 'storage' box between the seats is only deep enough to hold a deck of cards, lol but at least I can put my phone in there with a usb cable I leave in there connecting it to the car. simple. I have a separate aa adapter but it's not that convenient in so little space.
I'm a techie but I'm beginning to find a 'just right' feel to the inside controls ... it has everything I need and want (mostly) and it's beautifully designed and things like simple up/down metal toggles for left/right temps, a few other buttons, a large metal rotary volume **** and other controls on center console. the steering wheel controls are tasteful and work well. the 'horns' on the gauge pod are weird lol... the left I will NEVER use (I think it's snow mode, lol), and the right is for normal/sport/sport+/comfort/eco. who the hell drives an lc500 in eco?
even the touch pad, which isn't ideal, at least means I have no fingerprints on a touch screen!
one bug I found is that the car will FORGET I set it to have no haptic feedback on the touchpad. I can then either reset it in the menu, or it will be fixed the next time I start the car.

one giant omission in the car is a lack of a front camera. the front is low, large, and easily scraped. bad, bad lexus. a couple of owners on the forum have had a third party one installed but when I looked at the video of doing it I really don't want someone doing it, ya kinda have to take the entire interior apart!

about the lexus v8 and the 10 speed auto... the v8 and special exhaust barks to life on startup but quickly settles to a fairly quiet idle. the 'red line' is UNDER 4K upon startup, but as the car warms and the car is driven, it slowly rises to 7K. the more 'spirited' those early miles, the quicker the redline rises. since I live in a neighborhood with 25 limit, so it works out, I take it easy until the exit, and my main exit turns right onto a divided highway and a gentle hill, so I thoroughly enjoy blasting up the hill the other exit is a FLAT road with some great right angle turns...

the 10 speed is interesting... in the sport modes, the car doesn't use more than 8 gears. gears 9 and 10 are obviously highway cruising gears and the rpms are VERY low in 10th and the car is very quiet (engine noise).

between the engine and the transmission, the car feels pretty analog and old school, but in a fun way. an electric car is faster, smoother, quieter, so hard to deny, but it's just entirely different.

I wish the car had laminated side glass and I wish the run flat tires weren't so noisy, but they're not terrible. when the tires are done I will probably get non runflats.

overall, very happy I got there car, before lexus gives up on the v8.

that'a about it for now!
Old 01-07-22, 01:26 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,876 Likes on 1,957 Posts

Great update. About those tires - are they the Bridgestone S001L RFT? If so, I have the non-run-flat version of that tire, essentially, on the IS 350 and find them to be pretty loud on that car, too. It might just be the tread pattern Bridgestone went with. For comparison, the Pirelli RTFs on my wife's car are quiet - though the ride quality can be a bit busy.

And yeah, who buys an LC 500 and uses Eco mode? I don't even use it on the IS.

I've scraped on countless parking blocks in the past - and my cars haven't even been super low. I'd be a little paranoid in an LC haha.
Old 01-07-22, 01:29 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,621 Likes on 1,034 Posts

Glad you are enjoying it. I am still very tempted to pick one of these up.
Old 01-07-22, 01:34 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDR76
Glad you are enjoying it. I am still very tempted to pick one of these up.
it's a work of art.

I want to share another reason the car puts a smile on my face every time I look at it, drive it, etc.

I have this vision of toyota/lexus management and engineers designing, building, testing, and tweaking this car and grinning and giggling a lot and being elated with their results!
it's just so opposite to the vision I have of the team working on a rav4

of course the rav4 pays the bills and makes then LC possible, so I'm very thankful to the rav4.
Old 01-07-22, 01:36 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by arentz07
Great update. About those tires - are they the Bridgestone S001L RFT?
no. I have the Dunlops. I think lexus 'certified' Bridgestone, dunlop, michelin, and maybe pirrelis.

I've scraped on countless parking blocks in the past - and my cars haven't even been super low. I'd be a little paranoid in an LC haha.
it doesn't hit parking blocks, thankfully.
Old 01-07-22, 02:16 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

Great feedback @bitkahuna !! 👍👍
Old 01-07-22, 02:57 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 493 Likes on 393 Posts

Good stuff Bit...thanks for the update! The LC500 is still on my bucket list.

When you ditch the run-flats, is there any space/place for a compact spare? In my SC430, there is, so transitioning was not a big deal. Relying on compressors and flat-fix paraphernalia is well and good, but doesn't cover all the emergency bases.
Old 01-07-22, 03:38 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Wilson2000
When you ditch the run-flats, is there any space/place for a compact spare?
lol... no designated space no, but you could use I guess the pizza box thin trunk for one or the useless back seat.

Relying on compressors and flat-fix paraphernalia is well and good, but doesn't cover all the emergency bases.
that's true, and it's quite probable that when the time comes I'll wimp out and get run flats again anyway. they're really not that bad.
Old 01-07-22, 03:49 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Bit, thanks for the update, glad you are loving the car. Since you are a "handling guy", and live in Florida, it is a no brainer to get rid of the all season runflats, and get a nice set of high performance summer shoes!
Old 01-07-22, 05:46 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
1 year update... so I've had the lc500 just over a year now.
i've done about 4000 miles. no issues. I got paint protection film (PPF) on the whole front end of the car, and sills, and had the car ceramic coated too.
will take it for its first oil change and checkup soon. I don't live close to a dealer so could go to a couple of different ones (75-100 mi. away).

thoughts on the car now...

I still love taking it for a drive.
the rear steering and VGRS are a true joy and my favorite feature. I'm more of a handing guy than a speed guy.
the built in nav is a bit lame but fortunately with android auto and apple CarPlay I can use the phone's apps and that works well.
the 'storage' box between the seats is only deep enough to hold a deck of cards, lol but at least I can put my phone in there with a usb cable I leave in there connecting it to the car. simple. I have a separate aa adapter but it's not that convenient in so little space.
I'm a techie but I'm beginning to find a 'just right' feel to the inside controls ... it has everything I need and want (mostly) and it's beautifully designed and things like simple up/down metal toggles for left/right temps, a few other buttons, a large metal rotary volume **** and other controls on center console. the steering wheel controls are tasteful and work well. the 'horns' on the gauge pod are weird lol... the left I will NEVER use (I think it's snow mode, lol), and the right is for normal/sport/sport+/comfort/eco. who the hell drives an lc500 in eco?
even the touch pad, which isn't ideal, at least means I have no fingerprints on a touch screen!
one bug I found is that the car will FORGET I set it to have no haptic feedback on the touchpad. I can then either reset it in the menu, or it will be fixed the next time I start the car.

one giant omission in the car is a lack of a front camera. the front is low, large, and easily scraped. bad, bad lexus. a couple of owners on the forum have had a third party one installed but when I looked at the video of doing it I really don't want someone doing it, ya kinda have to take the entire interior apart!

about the lexus v8 and the 10 speed auto... the v8 and special exhaust barks to life on startup but quickly settles to a fairly quiet idle. the 'red line' is UNDER 4K upon startup, but as the car warms and the car is driven, it slowly rises to 7K. the more 'spirited' those early miles, the quicker the redline rises. since I live in a neighborhood with 25 limit, so it works out, I take it easy until the exit, and my main exit turns right onto a divided highway and a gentle hill, so I thoroughly enjoy blasting up the hill the other exit is a FLAT road with some great right angle turns...

the 10 speed is interesting... in the sport modes, the car doesn't use more than 8 gears. gears 9 and 10 are obviously highway cruising gears and the rpms are VERY low in 10th and the car is very quiet (engine noise).

between the engine and the transmission, the car feels pretty analog and old school, but in a fun way. an electric car is faster, smoother, quieter, so hard to deny, but it's just entirely different.

I wish the car had laminated side glass and I wish the run flat tires weren't so noisy, but they're not terrible. when the tires are done I will probably get non runflats.

overall, very happy I got there car, before lexus gives up on the v8.

that'a about it for now!
Nice update. Happy to see that you really like your Lexus LC
Old 01-07-22, 07:27 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Bit, thanks for the update, glad you are loving the car. Since you are a "handling guy", and live in Florida, it is a no brainer to get rid of the all season runflats, and get a nice set of high performance summer shoes!
thanks. tires for this car are not inexpensive, so i'll use the runflats some more before deciding what's next.

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Nice update. Happy to see that you really like your Lexus LC
thanks Jill.

Quick Reply: santa delivers an lc500...