Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

santa delivers an lc500...

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-22, 12:38 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
We only live once, you've already dropped 100k on the car. By no means am I trying to spend your money, lol, but there is a world of difference in ride quality and handling between runflats and Michelin PSS.
100% agree.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
....and, in a perfect world, tires wouldn't puncture or go flat. Trouble is, you never know when and where it might happen. I think I shared what happened to me several years ago, with my Verano, when the left rear tire picked up a big chunk of metal in a parking lot, and the 10-PSI warning light on the dash came on. I was able to park and put the temporary-spare on myself, in the lot, then get a new regular tire for it afterwards (the gouge was way too bad for tire-repair).
I would just call roadside assistance and let them handle it.
Old 01-08-22, 12:42 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 493 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
....and, in a perfect world, tires wouldn't puncture or go flat. Trouble is, you never know when and where it might happen.
I'm with you M&M! In fifty-plus years of motoring, I've seen it all, and experienced much. While tires have gotten better at resisting flats, and I can afford better tires, as well as afford to replace them sooner, I'm still apprehensive to drive on conventional tires without a spare, even with TPMS. A flat can ruin your day, or more if you are on a trip. Too, flat-fix is limited in what it can repair. I'm not particularly risk-adverse, but being prepared for emergencies is simply a "best practice." Ask any Boy Scout!
Old 01-08-22, 12:47 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
100% agree.

I would just call roadside assistance and let them handle it.
Think about it….you are driving on a long trip…the tire shreds…you are stuck on a Saturday night in the middle of nowhere , you now need a specialized tire as the wheels on your car are staggered and you have no spare. Sunday morning you ask whom to order the tire as likely the tire shop in the middle of nowhere doesn’t stock your tire… that is the issue with no full size spare…..along comes the mighty LX570 with a full size spare and drives over the same item that caused the shredded tire (while your car has to now be towed)…the LX600 drops the spare from the rear, adds the full size spare and just drives along their merry way….they even pass a new Tundra with a temp spare going slow as heck because you can’t go very fast or far….. that my friend is the problem with todays lack of a full size spare.

Old 01-08-22, 12:55 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Think about it….you are driving on a long trip…the tire shreds…you are stuck on a Saturday night in the middle of nowhere , you now need a specialized tire as the wheels on your car are staggered and you have no spare. Sunday morning you ask whom to order the tire as likely the tire shop in the middle of nowhere doesn’t stock your tire… that is the issue with no full size spare…..along comes the mighty LX570 with a full size spare and drives over the same item that caused the shredded tire (while your car has to now be towed)…the LX600 drops the spare from the rear, adds the full size spare and just drives along their merry way….they even pass a new Tundra with a temp spare going slow as heck because you can’t go very fast or far….. that my friend is the problem with todays lack of a full size spare.
Leave the car there until the tow truck comes, and catch and uber ride to wherever you were heading.
Old 01-08-22, 01:16 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 493 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Leave the car there until the tow truck comes, and catch and uber ride to wherever you were heading.
There appears to be two camps: those who want to be prepared and like to handle issues as they arise, and those who want to scramble to deal with issues as they occur. The early days of motoring not only required a spare, or multiple spares, but a tool box, spare parts, and fluids to ensure one made it to their destination. Nowadays, cars/tires are so damn reliable, people have become complacent, and many couldn't change a tire if their life depended on it. We would all like to think that there will always be a cell signal, an uber driver, a AAA tow truck, nearby shelter and food, but, that is not always the case. Be prepared, as your family's life and yours may depend on it. Or, cast your fate to the wind and let the chips fall as they may.
Old 01-08-22, 01:37 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Wilson2000
There appears to be two camps: those who want to be prepared and like to handle issues as they arise, and those who want to scramble to deal with issues as they occur. The early days of motoring not only required a spare, or multiple spares, but a tool box, spare parts, and fluids to ensure one made it to their destination. Nowadays, cars/tires are so damn reliable, people have become complacent, and many couldn't change a tire if their life depended on it. We would all like to think that there will always be a cell signal, an uber driver, a AAA tow truck, nearby shelter and food, but, that is not always the case. Be prepared, as your family's life and yours may depend on it. Or, cast your fate to the wind and let the chips fall as they may.
That's one side of a coin, and most certainly if I was heading into the wilderness, I would make sure to get all the tool and supplies necessary. But in urban places, it is not necessary, and may in fact be dangerous. Let me tell you two crazy times when I had to change a tire.

Years ago, I was heading to my first day of my new job, and I hit a pothole on the highway and ripped my tire. I made it on the flat tire, parked, and after I finished work I went to my car and changed the tire. Just as I put the spare on and hand tightened the lug nuts, my cheap autozone jack collapsed. It happened literally a fraction of a second after I moved my hands away from the wheel well. Had it collapsed while I was handling the wheel, I could've got seriously hurt.

Another time, I was on I78, around Hershey PA, my front drive side tire suddenly shred to pieces at around 95mph. I was very lucky not to lose control, and I pulled on the narrow shoulder of the 2 lane highway, in the middle of freezing February morning, changing the tire with honking cars and trucks flying inches away from my back.

Now that I am older and wiser, I would never do this. If something like this were to happen, its best to just slowly drive somewhere safe to pull over, call the two truck, and let someone with proper heavy duty equipment handle it.

That is not to hijack Bit's LC500 thread. I don't think flat tires are big concern in Florida anyway, it's the perfect place for high performance tires and RWD cars.
Old 01-08-22, 02:35 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,480 Likes on 1,630 Posts

thanks all for lively discussion, but yeah, no need for more on that here.

och, glad your 2 flats left you without injury or worse!

did find one very interesting tire, but will post a separate thread on that.
Old 01-08-22, 02:44 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

If you plan to keep the car long term - I would do a slight drop with proper wheels/tire package.
The LC as every Lexus has very weak offsets and the stance of the car is just not “right”. The chrome /polished wheels also are not my favorite. I think a proper wheel/tire setup that will reduce unsprung weight will make it even better to drive and improve handling.
Old 01-08-22, 03:12 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
If you plan to keep the car long term - I would do a slight drop with proper wheels/tire package.
The LC as every Lexus has very weak offsets and the stance of the car is just not “right”. The chrome /polished wheels also are not my favorite. I think a proper wheel/tire setup that will reduce unsprung weight will make it even better to drive and improve handling.
yes, i've thought about this, thanks. several things...
  • i've not had the best experience with after market rims, even when i spent a fortune on hre's the second time. the inner barrels on those held rain and vibrated HORRIBLY in the rain.
  • i also remember the 'ongoing' frequent balances / alignments which got old, and $.
  • i've had zero luck finding out just how heavy the factory rims are (and for the 21 i have apparently they were lightened) so i therefore have no idea how much unsprung weight i'd save.
  • about the drop, yes, i believe rsr makes springs that bring a nice small drop on the car.
  • i do agree with you that 'fitment' (offsets) could be better, as always on most oem cars, but yes, you're right, lexus is very conservative (inset) on this.
  • last, you (or i) can drive yourself (myself) nuts wading through thousands of wheel designs, finishes, options, etc.

for all these reasons my tendency is not to change the car. it drives great and i still love the look anyway.
Old 01-08-22, 03:34 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

^
100% agree with you.
I personally don’t have the patience to deal with mods anymore and prefer to keep everything OEM. I also have had my issues with aftermarket high end wheels.

I was hoping Lexus would offer an Fsport trim for LC500 with maybe a slight drop and sportier wheels that way you can just run small spacers for a proper fit. The Bespoke trim offers the sportier wheels but not the Performance pack which is idiotic.
Old 01-08-22, 04:58 PM
stasek
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

I hate having no spare on my TourX. This happened couple months ago - Sunday night, maybe a mile or so away from home. Pretty sure the tire was toast (sidewall damage) so I made the decision to just drive home and worry about it in the morning.

Old 01-08-22, 05:28 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
I was hoping Lexus would offer an Fsport trim for LC500 with maybe a slight drop and sportier wheels that way you can just run small spacers for a proper fit. The Bespoke trim offers the sportier wheels but not the Performance pack which is idiotic.
100% agree with you! just makes no sense. if it's bespoke, offer all the options!

Last edited by bitkahuna; 01-08-22 at 06:13 PM.
Old 01-08-22, 06:07 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

My experience with aftermarket rims has been horrible, I will never even consider any aftermarket wheels.
Old 01-08-22, 07:16 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 309 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
My experience with aftermarket rims has been horrible, I will never even consider any aftermarket wheels.
I've had multiple bad experiences also, but my current Apex ARC-8s have survived for about 5 years at this point, including taking no damage whatsoever from a hitting a pothole that blew out my sidewall.
Old 01-09-22, 07:50 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Glad you're liking your LC! Its a special car...I've considered one...I don't drive people around anymore really...

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I mean, I totally get it...but thats a very rare possibility and I just don't worry about it. I'd "rather" have a spare sure, but the cars just don't have spares, what ya gonna do? If I were on runflats, I'd be in the same situation...

Quick Reply: santa delivers an lc500...