Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

santa delivers an lc500...

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-20, 03:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i've been mulling over what's 'next' after the genesis, and whether i needed another car at all.
Just out of curiosity, after considering another new G90, a GV80 crossover, an electric Tesla, and a number of other vehicles, and having owned many different things from small two-seaters to larger SUVs, what made you decide on an upmarket sport-coupe this time? I can perhaps understand not going with the GV80, as they are difficult to get right now, probably have big mark-ups, and there's no need to make your local salesperson rich, but what sold you on the LC? Perhaps being a moderator on a Lexus-based forum, even though Car Chat, of course, covers almost everything that rolls on from two to six wheels?
Old 12-25-20, 03:29 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

congrats, what a beautiful car. I honestly think this is the best looking / sounding car that Lexus made. Every time I am at the dealer I am checking these out.

It surprises me that you got this over a M6 or amg GT or even the Jag F Type (obviously I am being scarcastic )
Old 12-25-20, 03:35 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,943 Likes on 1,369 Posts

Originally Posted by davyjordi
30 isn't bad if i can use the car as my daily driver as well as my fun weekend toy. one car for all purposes, save for practicality i suppose, but that can be overlooked.
Mine is mostly a FW car, with some in town driving. I average between 20 and 21 MPG.

Lou
Old 12-25-20, 03:38 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

And so, i met the transport behind my local supermarket and my new 'fun' car was unloaded.
i am thrilled to be back in the Lexus game.

Good brand and a good car you picked
Old 12-25-20, 03:59 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by flowrider
Mine is mostly a FW car, with some in town driving. I average between 20 and 21 MPG.

Lou
not bad - very good to know, thanks!
Old 12-25-20, 07:24 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,479 Likes on 1,629 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Just out of curiosity, after considering another new G90, a GV80 crossover, an electric Tesla, and a number of other vehicles, and having owned many different things from small two-seaters to larger SUVs, what made you decide on an upmarket sport-coupe this time? I can perhaps understand not going with the GV80, as they are difficult to get right now, probably have big mark-ups, and there's no need to make your local salesperson rich, but what sold you on the LC? Perhaps being a moderator on a Lexus-based forum, even though Car Chat, of course, covers almost everything that rolls on from two to six wheels?
Good questions. i blame it all on getting the Camry. an opportunity came to buy that with such low miles and i know the owner who had taken meticulous care of it, so if i was going to get a fairly practical car for 'transportation', carrying all my computer/network junk and tools etc., it seemed like a good idea. So i got that, as you know, a couple of months ago, and it's great for what it is.

So having that vehicle i can park anywhere and not care if it gets a ding or whatever, is handy.

next, as you know the G90's about to go back. So 3 choices at least at that point:
1) return it and get nothing else (drive the camry)
2) buy the g90 (and have 2 sedans)
3) return it and get something else (have the camry and another car)

About these options:
1) while practical, too boring. Falls under the "life is too short if you love cars".
2) of interest, but although it's been great, i've no idea what the g90 might be like out of warranty. Plus having 2 sedans just didn't seem that interesting. The g90 is also very long and maybe i was just feeling something shorter might be nice, even an suv would be a lot shorter unless i got an escalade.
3) could replace the g90, sure, but as you say, with what? The gv80 being a brand new suv meant i would probably have leased one after turning in the g90. But right now it's in very limited supply. Plus, the gv80 has aspects i don't like, the giant chrome strip along the side, the blingy 22" rims on the top trim, for example. I did begin thinking, well if the gv80 or any mid size suv is of interest, and if i'm even contemplating something like the lc500 instead and its price point, then why not a mercedes gle 450 or even 580 or something? I liked the idea of an air suspension on an suv and genesis will alway be an also ran until they offer that. The mercedes suv idea went out the window when i tried to configure one and decipher what was available out there. I know some mercedes buyers buy for the badge and don't fret much over which options, and others may not mind wading through reams of combinations, but i found it totally irritating. Plus on websites you'd find 2 gle's in stock showing the SAME options but at several thousands apart in price. I could never figure out why. Plus i began thinking if i was interested in a 'keeper', mercedes wasn't it. Goodness knows what some of its features cost to fix out of warranty.
I did consider the tesla s, y, and x. But many weirdnesses about them turned me off. Plus it's evolving so fast i suspect many current teslas will become obsolete fast.

As i said, it's all the Camry's fault. Because i already have a 'practical' vehicle (albeit not with the space of an suv but at least the rear seats fold down), so i kept coming back to thinking maybe my second car should be a fun car. And after this year? It kept moving up in appeal.

the lc500 is clearly one of a kind. Unique looks, unique features, a proven v8, a flexible transmission that can shift VERY quickly in fast driving, and very smoothly and seamlessly in slower driving. Is it perfect? No, i'll cover that some other time, but no vehicle is. It's old school in a number of ways even though it's only been on the market 4 years. What i did know from owning a couple of other lexus and seeing where and how the LC is built is that the quality of this vehicle would be impeccable, and long lasting. I liked that it was one of the last naturally aspirated v8 grand touring sporty cars. And being a techie, even though the car is missing some features on my g90, it has a lot of tech and each year they've added a bit more, so i knew i could live with what it does have plus i can use the phone apps now too.

So once i'd become very interested it was a question of finding what i wanted and seeing if i could get what i considered a fair price. A month later, here we are.

About the quality, it's everything and more that i expected. It appears to be flawless. Mine also has the carbon fiber roof which is amazing, and the metallic particles in the paint and the paint job itself are amazing to my untrained eye. And the interior materials... well the videos and pictures don't do it justice.

Originally Posted by UZ214
congrats, what a beautiful car. I honestly think this is the best looking / sounding car that Lexus made. Every time I am at the dealer I am checking these out.

It surprises me that you got this over a M6 or amg GT or even the Jag F Type (obviously I am being scarcastic )
Thanks, and i agree about best looking. The LFA certainly sounds more like a race car (because it basically is), but that's now an old car and WAY out of my price range, lol. As for those other vehicles, glad you're being sarcastic.

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Good brand and a good car you picked
Thank you! It's good to have a Lexus again.
Old 12-25-20, 07:27 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Certainly, an excellent choice to end the year on a high note. Well played, good sir.
Old 12-25-20, 07:40 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

2) of interest, but although it's been great, i've no idea what the g90 might be like out of warranty. Plus having 2 sedans just didn't seem that interesting. The g90 is also very long and maybe i was just feeling something shorter might be nice, even an suv would be a lot shorter unless i got an escalade.
Is there a way to extend your lease on the G90 for another year or so? The next generation model is just around the horizon, along with the brand new 7 Series. Mercedes will have their new EQS. And if it hasn't been canned as rumors suggest, the next-gen all-electric Jag XJ will also arrive. I think it's worth waiting because the flagship luxury segment is about to get some real shake-ups in the very near future.
Old 12-25-20, 08:03 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 243 Likes on 184 Posts

aww shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit look at you! beautiful car and probably the only way to be back in 'the lexus game' at this point lol
Old 12-25-20, 10:15 PM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Congratulations!
It was inevitable....you've been mulling over at the LC forum and now you're an official owner

The LC is also on my bucket list.
Old 12-25-20, 10:42 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

thanks my friend!

Ah, no, let me explain!

so i bought the car from plaza lexus in St. Louis MO! Pretty straightforward to deal with and the sales buy, Brett Harness was GREAT. While i could have flown up there and driven it back (over 900 miles!) i decided to have it transported instead. The transport driver wanted to meet 10 mi. from the house as it was more convenient for him and of course he has that giant tractor trailer. So that's why i got to drive it 10 miles from the drop off back to my home.
very interesting! did they offer much more attractive pricing compared to your local dealership that's why you went with them? so far i have never bought anything that i don't see in person (probably good thing in socal is there are multiple dealerships for the same brand within 50 miles radius), i am always concerned if i get something and there are issues (paint finish, fitment, etc...) and local dealerships won't help me as much since i don't buy from them.

i have to say this is quite a surprising purchase, didn't expect you to get it especially after your camry!!! but this is an excellent move nonetheless!!!!!
Old 12-26-20, 05:39 AM
Gekko
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Did you consider a CPO? I see them for about $70K vs. $100K New.
Old 12-26-20, 06:24 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

WOW!! Awesome choice !!
BIG Congratulations , I am sure you’ll enjoy it tremendously
Old 12-26-20, 07:20 AM
matts6887
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

this is one sickkkk ride!!! congrats on it!!!. enjoy driving it for me(someone that could never afford one even if they tried lol). i saw a new already sold lc convertible in the showroom while i was waiting to have my 07 rx350 inspected and i can say it was gorgeous!.
Old 12-26-20, 08:05 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 296 Likes on 254 Posts

Congrats on a beautiful car! What a gift indeed! So, what did the missus get from Santa?

Please post more pics inside and out!

Quick Reply: santa delivers an lc500...