Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

santa delivers an lc500...

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-20, 08:53 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,479 Likes on 1,629 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
very interesting! did they offer much more attractive pricing compared to your local dealership that's why you went with them?
there's very few new LC's available nationally. I have 4 dealers 'locally' (within 100mi.) and i think they had 4 between them and none had the colors/options i wanted. As far as attractive pricing, we worked it out.

so far i have never bought anything that i don't see in person (probably good thing in socal is there are multiple dealerships for the same brand within 50 miles radius), i am always concerned if i get something and there are issues (paint finish, fitment, etc...) and local dealerships won't help me as much since i don't buy from them.
so the dealer had only had the car 1 week, lol, and obviously i inspected it when it came off the truck. to my eyes, flawless. sometimes in life you have to take a chance. i'd never sat in or driven an LC before.

i have to say this is quite a surprising purchase, didn't expect you to get it especially after your camry!!! but this is an excellent move nonetheless!!!!!
Haha, i think it makes perfect sense, you didn't think i'd just drive a camry did you?

Originally Posted by Gekko
Did you consider a CPO? I see them for about $70K vs. $100K New.
No. i wanted the suspension changes (reduced unsprung weight) for '21 and the android auto feature. Now you could say, yeah, but for $30K? Everyone's different. For me there's more to life than money in the bank and I like new cars.
Originally Posted by Gojirra99
WOW!! Awesome choice !!
BIG Congratulations , I am sure you’ll enjoy it tremendously
Thank you!!! Means a lot coming from you with such fine taste in cars.

Originally Posted by matts6887
this is one sickkkk ride!!! congrats on it!!!. enjoy driving it for me(someone that could never afford one even if they tried lol).
hey, never say never! there's a saying i like "whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right". It's about what you think - you CAN make it happen if it's important to you. before this year i would probably have never imagined owning one, but here we are. i'm not 'rich', it's just life choices in the end... i don't have kids or a big mortgage so that helps.
Old 12-26-20, 10:42 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

And so he has returned...

from the land of Genesis

Congrats! Any mods in store?
Old 12-26-20, 10:59 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

You got it! That’s great congrats! You gotta PM me and fill me in how the deal went down.

She’s a beauty! One of my favorite cars on the road right now, enjoy it in good health!!!
Old 12-26-20, 12:09 PM
TriC
Racer

Received 267 Likes on 201 Posts

Congratulations on a fabulous buy!

I never paid any attention to the model until seeing one in person at a Lexus dealer recently. At 6-4 I don't know whether I can fit in one, but hope to find out someday.
Old 12-26-20, 12:17 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
You got it! That’s great congrats! You gotta PM me and fill me in how the deal went down.

She’s a beauty! One of my favorite cars on the road right now, enjoy it in good health!!!
Actually do you mind sharing your negotiating tactics openly with the purchase of the LC? I'm sure me and a few others would love more advice on how to negotiate. I for one am terrible at it.
Old 12-26-20, 01:08 PM
TRDRAV4
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely a bucket list car for any Lexus fan. What kind of deal did you get? I figure you had to go out of state to get it since it came on a truck and not with the typical red bow with the annual LDTR year end sales event.

I myself got a new daily driver that I've been waiting on, and it was a CPO Hyundai. Its manual and turbocharged, but its been a car I've been eyeing for the last 3 years and wondered why I didn't buy new since these cars are becoming a dying breed.
Old 12-26-20, 08:19 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TriC
Congratulations on a fabulous buy!
I never paid any attention to the model until seeing one in person at a Lexus dealer recently. At 6-4 I don't know whether I can fit in one, but hope to find out someday.
thanks, and i'm 6'3" and fit fine.

Originally Posted by situman
Actually do you mind sharing your negotiating tactics openly with the purchase of the LC? I'm sure me and a few others would love more advice on how to negotiate. I for one am terrible at it.
First off, I'm no expert, and don't like the usual process, but here's basically what i did. First, i looked up invoice and retail prices for the car and options. I then calculated what the car I was looking at should be 'msrp' and 'invoice' to see the spread (simple spreadsheet). I factored in Lexus' December discount ($3K) and a guess on the holdback dealer incentive. Now i could see what i considered my best and worst case prices were. Even then you have to be careful because of things a dealer may 'factor in' like their dealer fees, doc fees, maybe some 'protection package' that you didn't even know about, or other goodies. At one point i was confused on how their price was calculated but then i realized the car had the all weather mats, cargo tray, wheel locks, etc. i didn't care about wheel locks, but in the end it wasn't worth haggling over.

So once i knew the 'best possible' price (if the dealer were to, in theory, make nothing on the car - not likely to get this on a rare 2021 model!), and the 'dream on' price the dealer wanted, i could figure out what i was willing to pay. I absolutely do respect that a dealer has to make a profit and a salesperson is trying to make a living, feed their family, etc., so i don't believe i'm unreasonable.

A special thanks here to SW17LS who i bounced my calcs and questions off of. I was going to ask him to do the deal and play bad cop, but in the end i was able to manage it.

after some back and forth questions on my part, eventually the salesperson simply asked me what i was willing to pay for the car. This was good, because i could just look at my spreadsheet and decide what i thought was fair. If they didn't think it was fair and didn't counter close, i could wait for the next opportunity to try again. However, the dealer accepted my price (which probably means i could have got a better deal but that's ok ), and after that i made a deposit to lock it in, arranged for the rest of the money, wired it, arranged transport, and got it Christmas Eve

Just to reiterate, i don't believe in trying to be unreasonable with dealers, but i also know that dealers will typically provide very confusing numbers, so you have to be vigilant and question as much as needed to understand what's being laid on the table. I mentioned the salesperson i worked with earlier, he's a good guy, and after i made it clear i wasn't into playing any games it went smoothly.

I'm not going into my exact numbers here.

Hope that helps.

Originally Posted by TRDRAV4
Definitely a bucket list car for any Lexus fan. What kind of deal did you get? I figure you had to go out of state to get it since it came on a truck and not with the typical red bow with the annual LDTR year end sales event.
i got it out of state because there were no LC's in state with the options i wanted and acceptable color combos.

I myself got a new daily driver that I've been waiting on, and it was a CPO Hyundai. Its manual and turbocharged, but its been a car I've been eyeing for the last 3 years and wondered why I didn't buy new since these cars are becoming a dying breed.
Congrats!
Old 12-26-20, 08:32 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by coolsaber
And so he has returned...
haha yeah, i know, about time.

from the land of Genesis
yes, parting will be sweet sorrow in march, the g90 has been great.

Congrats! Any mods in store?
Nope.

Originally Posted by comotiger
Please post more pics inside and out!
Ok...

Gauge cluster in its left/right positions.

Out shopping today, plus showing the paint detail and the cf roof.

Subtle detail - the little 'bump' on the triangular piece, i guess to smooth airflow.

Wing up and down and those killer tail lights.

One interior shot.

Ok that's enough.
Old 12-27-20, 04:07 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Good pictures.

Short of Formula-1 racers, that's probably the most steering-wheel buttons I've ever seen on a regular street vehicle.

To have a passenger grab-bar that size on the console, the designers must have expected the LC to be driven quite aggressively LOL.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-27-20 at 04:10 AM.
Old 12-27-20, 05:47 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 786 Likes on 551 Posts

I'm going to be down in JAX on the 4th if you wanted and excuse to drive a few hours

Old 12-27-20, 06:33 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

It’s beautiful! I’m jealous. Damn kids lol. It’s funny I never had any interest in cool coupes or anything like that before I had kids. But I would totally have gotten that over my S560.

And no problem about the help, my pleasure! You’re totally right that you ALWAYS could have gotten a better deal or saved more or negotiated harder but you got a great deal that was fair and that’s always my goal.
Old 12-27-20, 09:09 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Sexy beast! So many wonderful details on that car!
Old 12-27-20, 09:40 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

Out shopping today, plus showing the paint detail and the cf roof.

Subtle detail - the little 'bump' on the triangular piece, i guess to smooth airflow.

Wing up and down and those killer tail lights.

One interior shot.

Ok that's enough.
Beautiful spec and Performance package with CF roof is very rare. LC500 was on my list before i got my 911 but finding one close to me with right spec and perf pack was very hard.

If you do any mods, definitely do the wheels. The chrome finish takes away from the sportiness of the LC. Nice brushed HREs with proper offset would make it look even better and do wonders for the stance of the car.

Very sad Lexus cancelled LCF especially after it was already developed.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 12-27-20 at 09:44 AM.
Old 12-27-20, 09:47 AM
lamar411
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

now that is a beauty, congrats!
Old 12-27-20, 11:33 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I love the Caviar color too...

Quick Reply: santa delivers an lc500...