Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

santa delivers an lc500...

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-20 | 09:49 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bagwell
late to the party, but congrats Bit! - I'm glad someone is having a much better 2020 than I am
Thanks and sorry if 2020 hasn't been good for you. Honestly not a great year for me either, and this LC thing was a rash decision to try to lift my spirits some. But i try not to complain as i know how fortunate i am and how rough a time so many others are having.

I like the design too but I'd prefer dark gray powdercoated
I think the middle of those trd ones is gray?
Old 12-28-20 | 09:51 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Wilson2000
Lightweight racing wheels make a difference in performance. The OEM premium wheels that came on my SC430 were far heavier than I would have ever imagined!
Definitely, and i've no doubt the stock 21's are very heavy. For '21 they lightened a bunch of the suspension components to try to help some, but i'm sure lighter wheels would make a huge difference. Having said that from my experience thus far, this car corners fabulously!

Old 12-29-20 | 12:47 AM
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Wilson2000
I like the OEM wheels as well, but the forged TRD's are sweet! If I was replacing my "fantasy-LC" wheels, I'd be curious about the weight of the OEM vs the weight of the forged wheels. Lightweight racing wheels make a difference in performance. The OEM premium wheels that came on my SC430 were far heavier than I would have ever imagined!
TRD Weights:

Weight: [Diamond Gray Metallic, Ice Black (Matte Black)] Front / 13.5kg, Rear / 14.4kg
   [Lunanium Gun Metallic] Front / 13.6kg, Rear / 15.3kg
Material: Aluminum Forged (1 Piece)
Size: Front / 21 ×
    8.5J Inset20Rear /21 ×9.5J Inset 20
Old 12-29-20 | 06:08 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Congrats, Bit. That's a really beautiful car - I can't wait to see some ongoing pics and keep reading about your impressions of the car (don't leave out interior pics). There are 3 LC's in my general area (1 white, 2 red) and I always love seeing and HEARING them drive past me. 2 quick questions that I don't think have been asked yet:
1) Did you consider getting the convertible? Curious on your take of why/why not.
2) The LC sounds amazing as an outsider - how glorious is the sound inside the car?

I will own one of these some day. I was doing some year-end calculations of stock growth, etc. and made the mistake of making a list of 6 or 7 stocks I thought about purchasing in late March/April but never purchased. I looked them up yesterday and did some math on the 9 month movement. Any one of the 6 stocks at the 1,000 shares I was thinking of buying would've netted me a profit to buy an LC with you. Should'a, would'a, could'a. But very glad you did! Congrats again and cheers!
Old 12-29-20 | 06:08 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Gotta say...I like the ones that are on it, which also have the benefit of already having been paid for lol
I totally agree - I love the wheels on his car. I wouldn't change a thing.
Old 12-29-20 | 06:32 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Ouch, those TRD wheels seem heavy. I thought they would be lighter. Besides the remote touch on the LC I always felt the stock wheels didn’t look good but wheels are all personal preference. Generally I feel Lexus does a good job with their stock wheels but I thought the LS and LC missed the mark IMO.
Old 12-29-20 | 02:49 PM
wasjr
Instructor

I am late here too (explosion Friday morning knocked out our internet, tv, and phone). Great looking car, particularly in that color.
Your two vehicle logic reminds me of my single days when I had my 1979 Corvette and 1980 Datsun 310 for several years.
Old 12-29-20 | 05:42 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I think the middle of those trd ones is gray?
I meant your current wheels...I love the design but a darker color might look better (totally subjective tho)

...and I really don't think 10 or even 20 lb weight difference on each wheel would be noticeable in any way unless you're a pro driver tracking your car.
Old 12-29-20 | 08:45 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
Congrats, Bit. That's a really beautiful car - I can't wait to see some ongoing pics and keep reading about your impressions of the car (don't leave out interior pics). There are 3 LC's in my general area (1 white, 2 red) and I always love seeing and HEARING them drive past me. 2 quick questions that I don't think have been asked yet:
1) Did you consider getting the convertible? Curious on your take of why/why not.
2) The LC sounds amazing as an outsider - how glorious is the sound inside the car?
thank you!

Re: 1) not really... the convertible obviously has more 'wow' with the top down, but it has much less trunk space (and the coupe's isn't huge ), you can't get the performance (now called dynamic handling) package on the convertible, and it's a chunk more money. Convertibles are definitely fun though.

Re: 2) the sound inside is almost all exhaust so of course comes from behind. One thing that definitely appealed to me about the LC is there are few gimmicks. For example, there's no artificial sound, however, there's a 'tuned pipe' under the hood that feeds some sound into the cabin when driving aggressively. And yes, glorious is a good word. Driving the car tonight made me realize how much of a dramatic jekyll and hyde the car is... quietly cruising in comfort mode on the highway vs blasting down a back road in sport s or sport s+ mode with cracking and cracks from behind as the car changes gears with basically no feeling that it changed gears, it's wild.

I will own one of these some day. I was doing some year-end calculations of stock growth, etc. and made the mistake of making a list of 6 or 7 stocks I thought about purchasing in late March/April but never purchased. I looked them up yesterday and did some math on the 9 month movement. Any one of the 6 stocks at the 1,000 shares I was thinking of buying would've netted me a profit to buy an LC with you. Should'a, would'a, could'a. But very glad you did! Congrats again and cheers!
I know that feeling about stocks and most people who are honest have felt it at some point or another too.

...and I really don't think 10 or even 20 lb weight difference on each wheel would be noticeable in any way unless you're a pro driver tracking your car.
10-20lbs per wheel? That's a HUGE diffference and would be noticeable when turning.
Old 12-29-20 | 08:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

10-20lbs per wheel? That's a HUGE diffference and would be noticeable when turning.
I have to agree with Bagwell. Even turning, a difference of 10-20 lbs. per wheel probably isn't that big deal....especially towards the lighter (10-lb.) end of the range. In fact, depending on the design, some of the suspension-pieces themselves, which the wheel-assemblies are attached to, weigh significantly more than that.
Old 12-29-20 | 08:56 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

10-20 pounds per wheel would be very noticeable, because it affects the unsprung mass.
Old 12-29-20 | 10:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Motorola
10-20 pounds per wheel would be very noticeable, because it affects the unsprung mass.
Well, like I said above, the unsprung mass itself varies due to both the weight of the suspension and the wheel/tire assembly underneath it. There are times when 10-20 lbs. would make a difference, others not so much. A softly-spring suspension and shocks would also absorb the unsprung weight more easily, without passing it on into the car's structure.
Old 12-30-20 | 05:43 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Re: 2) the sound inside is almost all exhaust so of course comes from behind. One thing that definitely appealed to me about the LC is there are few gimmicks. For example, there's no artificial sound, however, there's a 'tuned pipe' under the hood that feeds some sound into the cabin when driving aggressively. And yes, glorious is a good word. Driving the car tonight made me realize how much of a dramatic jekyll and hyde the car is... quietly cruising in comfort mode on the highway vs blasting down a back road in sport s or sport s+ mode with cracking and cracks from behind as the car changes gears with basically no feeling that it changed gears, it's wild.
Glad to hear that about the sound inside the car. It sounds so great outside the car that I figured that had to translate into the driving experience in a very positive way. And I love the chameleon-like attributes - it's smooth and quiet when you want it to be and aggressive and sporty when you want it to be. LC is a fantastic car. Great choice!
Old 12-30-20 | 10:11 AM
keithS
Rookie

What is the ride like in the LC? I had an RC F and it was just too rough a ride for me. Loved the car, but couldn't take the suspension.
Old 12-30-20 | 11:34 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by keithS
What is the ride like in the LC? I had an RC F and it was just too rough a ride for me. Loved the car, but couldn't take the suspension.
ride is surprisingly smooth. one thing i don't get though is the ride doesn't seem to change with the 'modes' like comfort, sport s, sport s+ but maybe the roads aren't rough enough to notice, or i'm not pushing it enough.

i think any roughness in suspension is probably more due to low profile 21's with run-flat tires. the suspension is impressive.

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
Glad to hear that about the sound inside the car. It sounds so great outside the car that I figured that had to translate into the driving experience in a very positive way. And I love the chameleon-like attributes - it's smooth and quiet when you want it to be and aggressive and sporty when you want it to be. LC is a fantastic car. Great choice!

i don't think you're that far from me (Ocala), if ya wanna see it some day, maybe we can meet.

Quick Reply: santa delivers an lc500...