Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Gas tank Cleaners, snake oil or something to it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-20, 09:52 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
Does dual injection automatically mean poorer fuel economy?
i don't think has been an application of dual injection that has matched that of the top performing direct-injection applications, although i could be wrong. look it up.
Old 12-28-20, 10:51 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Toyota/Lexus has had the dual injection (direct+port injected) V6 engines since 2007 which prevents carbon buildup in the port intakes. That's more than a decade. How come the German luxury marques like BMW, who are hyped for being on the cutting edge of engine/powertrain technology, couldn't implement this decades old technology in their engines and thereby improve lifespan and ease maintenance issues of their engines?
My 2007 IS250 had carbon buildup, which needed to be cleaned by the dealer under TSB.
Old 12-28-20, 10:58 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
My 2007 IS250 had carbon buildup, which needed to be cleaned by the dealer under TSB.
The 2.5L 4GR-FSE(and for that matter the 3.0L 3GR-FSE) is direct injection only. It doesn't have the protective effect of added port injection found in the 3.5L 2GR-FSE and later engines.
Old 12-28-20, 01:16 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Does dual injection automatically mean poorer fuel economy?

Those extra parts haven't adversely impacted the reliability of the 2GR-FSE/FXS/FKS dual injection V6s. In fact it's prolonged their working lifespan. Just because other parts of the car will have issues by 100K doesn't mean engine longevity issues shouldn't be addressed. Unless you're saying the German philosophy is planned obsolescence so they don't even try to engineer an engine to function beyond 100,000 miles.
Yes, but these extra parts cost extra money making the engine more expensive to design and built, and to service when parts start to fail. Franky, I would not blame the manufacturers for the "panned obsolescence" as they need to meet stricker fuel economy and emission requirements mandated by governments worldwide. They have no choice by design these needlessly complex engines that run as efficient as possible when new, but they quickly deteriorate and lose their initial efficiency, and do not last as long as conventional engines. I dont know if there is an actualy net gain or net loss in emissions when you consider everything, but at least the obsolescence, whether planned or incidental, keeps the wheels of the economy turning.
Old 12-28-20, 01:24 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Och
Yes, but these extra parts cost extra money making the engine more expensive to design and built, and to service when parts start to fail. Franky, I would not blame the manufacturers for the "panned obsolescence" as they need to meet stricker fuel economy and emission requirements mandated by governments worldwide. They have no choice by design these needlessly complex engines that run as efficient as possible when new, but they quickly deteriorate and lose their initial efficiency, and do not last as long as conventional engines. I dont know if there is an actualy net gain or net loss in emissions when you consider everything, but at least the obsolescence, whether planned or incidental, keeps the wheels of the economy turning.
which luxury companies are still producing "conventional" engines? bmw for sure as hell isn't and neither is audi nor mercedes. perhaps you'll find more conventional designs within AMG products, but i don't think M or S/RS products are any more well-engineered than their more pedestrian counterparts. jaguar-land rover? hah. of the japanese marques? i guess lexus and acura? acura has had some reliability problems trying to keep up with the germans lately, but i don't think they've been terrible. infiniti has poor reliability for many of their newer products due to mismanagement and it's a miracle infiniti is still even around.

you're right about keeping the wheels of the economy turning for these manufacturers, but when lexus was competitive, it had no problem gathering new customers and retaining its existing customer base.
Old 12-28-20, 01:28 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by davyjordi
that's both good to know and also sad to hear. to have planned obsolescence so firmly in place that a bmw engine cannot last more than 100k miles without major servicing is a bummer if it were to really love the car and want to keep it. now, i don't see that happening with this car, but hypothetically...
Well, 100k miles is also about 10 years time for an average driver. It is a long time, during which all kinds of things happen, including getting older - both you and the car. Unless its some sort of collectable, dont even worry about any long term plans when it comes to the car.
Old 12-28-20, 02:03 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Och
Well, 100k miles is also about 10 years time for an average driver. It is a long time, during which all kinds of things happen, including getting older - both you and the car. Unless its some sort of collectable, dont even worry about any long term plans when it comes to the car.
yes, very true, but still, i'll reach that amount of mileage on the car in about six years, although i'm not going to keep it that long because i deserve another fun car in fewer than six years, damnit.
Old 12-28-20, 02:21 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

yes, very true, but still, i'll reach that amount of mileage on the car in about six years, although i'm not going to keep it that long because i deserve another fun car in fewer than six years, damnit.
Unless your wife has triplets and a Dodge Caravan rears its ugly head into your garage.
Old 12-28-20, 02:25 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Unless your wife has triplets and a Dodge Caravan rears its ugly head into your garage.
That hits a little close to home for me LOL
Old 12-28-20, 02:27 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
That hits a little close to home for me LOL
Worked as intended.
Old 12-28-20, 02:41 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Worked as intended.
Hahaha, you gotta have a good sense of humor in life lol
Old 12-28-20, 03:16 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,188 Likes on 884 Posts

I wouldn't use any over the counter additives that come in a bottle, no. Just use good quality fuel, I tend to run Shell or Exxon.
Yup, this is very good advice. The only time you may ever see improvement is if the EVAP system has a break somewhere and is allowing air into the tank and you use a lot of E85/15 and or for some reason leave the car sitting a very long time.

Otherwise it's pointless. Gas is a very good cleaner and tier 1 is exceptional at keeping DI injectors totally happy.
Old 12-28-20, 03:19 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

I wouldn’t worry so much about the “top tier” gas thing. That’s a marketing thing that suppliers buy into. There are plenty of gas providers I wouldn’t be concerned about getting fuel from that are not TopTier. Would I buy it from the weird ancient no name company with the pumps from 1992? No lol.
Now hold on a second there, the no name station in Ashly sometime has 70 cents cheaper! I'm sure nothing bad has ever gotten into the Jeeps tank.......(it has)
Old 12-28-20, 03:27 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

I'd be more worried about the condition of the gas station and pump equipment than top tier vs generic brand gasoline. If the gas station has old pumps, chances are the inground tanks are old and full of residue, and the filtering system is compromised. You don't want to be pumping dirt into your tank.

Also, if you want to be extra **** thorough, find out when the tanker arrives to refill the tanks at your gas station, and fill up when the tanks are full so the pumps are not sucking any dirt from the bottom of the tanks, but also at least a couple of hours after these tanks were refilled so all the stirred up dirt had time to settle.
Old 12-28-20, 03:32 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

that's both good to know and also sad to hear. to have planned obsolescence so firmly in place that a bmw engine cannot last more than 100k miles without major servicing is a bummer if it were to really love the car and want to keep it. now, i don't see that happening with this car, but hypothetically...
Well not exactly intentional, they design the "lightest, fastest, strongest" for a given displacement and the most possible power and they really don't like "unnecessary" mass and "oversized" parts and things like upstream injectors to help keep things clean like the D4S system since it is not optimized.

Best examples can give are the PCV systems in Audi and BMW and the vacuum pumps, they are very perfectly sealed and use a pump to actively draw vapor out and to power the brakes in some cars (the valvetronic system and variable runners can lead to situations where a non-electromechanical brake booster has no consist vacuum supply) but if the pump fails or their is even a small break in the sealing the rings will begin to massively burn oil from crankcase pressure.

Another example is valve stem seals/guides in N62/3 engines, they are "perfectly" sized and clearances to allow as low as possible can mounting so overall engine exterior dimensions are low. However they fail very consistently because in reality they are simply too small and tight to avoid wear in non-laboratory conditions.

Sorry, I've had to deal with so many BMWs I've seen all the common failures firsthand

Quick Reply: Gas tank Cleaners, snake oil or something to it?