Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Gas tank Cleaners, snake oil or something to it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-20, 07:59 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts
Default Gas tank Cleaners, snake oil or something to it?

Talking to a bud whose vehicle threw a code, and he swears up and down by techron additives. Does anyone else use that stuff as part of normal maintenance? Usually if you are using premium from a reliable brand, enough PEA, the main ingredient in techron is mixed with the fuel.
Old 12-26-20, 08:03 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Techron has always had a good reputation. From what I can remember, it was first marketed (as Techroline) by the Chevron company in their fuel, and, even with auto-manufacturers, it is considered the Top-Tier standard for quality detergents in fuel. It cleans not only the tank , but fuel-lines, pumps, injectors, etc.....

Old 12-26-20, 02:21 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

2 different EPA certification engineers told me to put nothing but Chevron Supreme with Techron in the fuel tank of new cars we were working to get certified. one for Carrol Shelby, the other for Steve Saleen. I always used the same gas in my cars & never had any issues. I believe Shell premium is just as good now with a similar additive they use.
Old 12-26-20, 02:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Byprodrive
I believe Shell premium is just as good now with a similar additive they use.
^^^^ Correct. Chevron is not available in my area anymore (why, I don't know ...the local Chevron stations closed down or converted to Liberty-Brand fuel)...so, yes, I run exclusively Shell in my own cars. My local grocery (Giant Food) even gives Shell-fuel discounts with grocery purchases.
Old 12-26-20, 02:41 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

I wouldn't use any over the counter additives that come in a bottle, no. Just use good quality fuel, I tend to run Shell or Exxon.
Old 12-26-20, 02:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I wouldn't use any over the counter additives that come in a bottle, no. Just use good quality fuel, I tend to run Shell or Exxon.
Have you got any Chevron stations left in your part of MD? In NoVA, where I am, most or all of them shut down a number of years ago, or converted to that cheap Liberty brand. I still have no idea why.
Old 12-26-20, 03:04 PM
matts6887
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

i try to use shell v power most of the time; but sometimes i use chevron as they have both here in the phoenix area. but there are times i use premium from a local convienience store called circle k which isnt the best premium stuff around but sometime it has to do.
Old 12-26-20, 04:25 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Have you got any Chevron stations left in your part of MD? In NoVA, where I am, most or all of them shut down a number of years ago, or converted to that cheap Liberty brand. I still have no idea why.
No, I don't think so. They're all other franchises now.

The Sunoco in my community just became a Gulf, which I can't remember ever seeing here before. I think Chevron just pulled out of the area. Right around my community we have a Shell, Liberty, Exxon, Gulf, Sunoco, all just within a mile of each other, so we have plenty of choices for gas and it keeps the prices low.
Old 12-26-20, 08:42 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,370 Likes on 1,555 Posts

Every few months we have another this oil or gas is best...

i've never had any issue with any gas in any car for the decades i've been driving. I've also, one time or another, put premium in cars that supposedly didn't need it, and i've put 87 in cars that supposedly needed premium. Little if any difference ever.

the only concern i'd ever have about gas would be going to a station that appears to be really run down and not used much.
like most of us, i have plenty of gas stations that are modern, busy, with a variety of brands. Racetrak and wawa seem to be duking it out here now building bigger and bigger stations. I've not got gas at a wawa station yet, but their take out food is surprisingly great i can order through their app and it's ready when i arrive. We do of course have shell, marathon, and other brands too. All fine i'm sure.
Old 12-26-20, 09:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Every few months we have another this oil or gas is best...
The OP raised what IMO was a legitimate question about fuel-system cleaners. Top-Tier gas brands, in general, is one of the easiest ways to get a fuel system cleaner on a regular basis.

i've never had any issue with any gas in any car for the decades i've been driving.
If you consistently use a Top-Tier brand (particularly Shell or Chevron), you probably won't have any fuel-quality-related problems.

I've also, one time or another, put premium in cars that supposedly didn't need it, and i've put 87 in cars that supposedly needed premium. Little if any difference ever.
Today's engine's computers will advance or retard the timing in response to the knock-sensors, which will usually prevent short-term ill-effects. That is done in case the vehicle is driven out of the U.S. for a while, say, across the border into Mexico, and has to rely on the crap gas sold there for a while. But that is not intended to be a a long-term fix (short periods only), and the longer you don't use recommended fuel grades (or Top-Tier fuels with good detergents), the more risk to your engine in the long run.

One other tip.....I believe I've mentioned it before. If you see a station where a tanker truck if filling up the underground tanks, wait at least five minutes after the tanker is finished pumping, or go to another station. The reason for that is because the high-pressure hoses from the tanker stir up a lot of dirt, crud, and sentiment underground in the tanks, particularly if the tanks are old and have not been cleaned out. It takes a few minutes for the sediment to settle back down again to the bottom of the tank. Fill up too soon after the tanker is done, and, despite filters that are supposed to keep that sediment from entering your own tank (which don't always work), some of that crud could get inside your own tank and plug up fuel lines or injectors.

This is especially critical with aircraft, where part of the official preflight is to check for both dirt and water-bubbles in the fuel...which is done with fuel-samples at special drain-outlets/valves.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-27-20 at 03:46 AM.
Old 12-26-20, 09:10 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,370 Likes on 1,555 Posts

Top-Tier gas brands, in general, is one of the easiest ways to get a fuel system cleaner on a regular basis.
If you consistently use a Top-Tier brand (particularly Shell or Chevron), you probably won't have any fuel-quality-related problems.
...the longer you don't use recommended fuel grades (or Top-Tier fuels with god detergents), the more risk to your engine in the long run.
I know you're smitten with the 'top tier' licensing program but they list 53 brands in the u.s., so not hard to find.

https://www.toptiergas.com/licensed-brands/
Old 12-26-20, 09:45 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't claim to be an expert, but here is my take. Many years ago, probably around 2008, when I still had my 2GS, I took apart its fuel pump to change the fuel filter as a part of 100k mile maintenance. The pump was inside the fuel tank, so I had to take it out, and when I looked inside of the fuel tank it was absolutely clean. There wasn't any visible particles or any kind of residue on the bottom of the tank. I was the second owner of the car, I believe the original owner was in CA then moved to Midwest, and I am in NYC. So at that point the car had seen some miles across different states, so obviously we have excellent quality gasoline in the USA, and gasoline pumps at gas stations have excellent filtering systems.

Plus, all modern fuels already have cleaning agents added, so diluting 10-20 gallons of fuel with a few ounces of Techron or any kind of other additive isn't really doing anything. If you don't have injector problems, you don't need any additives; if you do have injector problems, the additives won't do anything to remedy these problems, especially with modern high psi injectors made for turbocharged engines.
Old 12-26-20, 09:56 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 484 Likes on 420 Posts

Techron has always had a good reputation. From what I can remember, it was first marketed (as Techroline) by the Chevron company in their fuel, and, even with auto-manufacturers, it is considered the Top-Tier standard for quality detergents in fuel. It cleans not only the tank , but fuel-lines, pumps, injectors, etc.....
This X2.....Great to do once a month or so.......Costco used to offer it in a 6pack box.....
Old 12-27-20, 03:53 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
I don't claim to be an expert, but here is my take. Many years ago, probably around 2008, when I still had my 2GS, I took apart its fuel pump to change the fuel filter as a part of 100k mile maintenance. The pump was inside the fuel tank, so I had to take it out, and when I looked inside of the fuel tank it was absolutely clean. There wasn't any visible particles or any kind of residue on the bottom of the tank. I was the second owner of the car, I believe the original owner was in CA then moved to Midwest, and I am in NYC. So at that point the car had seen some miles across different states, so obviously we have excellent quality gasoline in the USA, and gasoline pumps at gas stations have excellent filtering systems.

Plus, all modern fuels already have cleaning agents added, so diluting 10-20 gallons of fuel with a few ounces of Techron or any kind of other additive isn't really doing anything. If you don't have injector problems, you don't need any additives; if you do have injector problems, the additives won't do anything to remedy these problems, especially with modern high psi injectors made for turbocharged engines.
Well, yes, the Top-Tier fuels are going to have an adequate amount of detergents added, but that's not necessarily the case at Smiling Sam's Gas-N-Go down the street. There's a reason why those cut-rate places are cut-rate.
Old 12-27-20, 06:35 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I wouldn’t worry so much about the “top tier” gas thing. That’s a marketing thing that suppliers buy into. There are plenty of gas providers I wouldn’t be concerned about getting fuel from that are not TopTier. Would I buy it from the weird ancient no name company with the pumps from 1992? No lol.

Quick Reply: Gas tank Cleaners, snake oil or something to it?