Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Spent a couple days with a new Mercedes GLC300...

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-20, 05:49 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
ok, have fun at the dealership. To each their own.
Nobody is cross shopping a Rav 4 and a GLC lol. Reliability has nothing to do with it. Next you're going to say the guy with a Maserati should have bought an Avalon, ridiculous lol.

If I wanted a Toyota option I would get a nice RX, not a Rav 4. Happy to go to the dealer a couple times a year to drive a much better car.

if a Rav 4 was all I could afford or all I'd want to pay for I would get a Mazda CX-5 Signature.

Last edited by SW17LS; 12-27-20 at 05:54 PM.
Old 12-27-20, 06:02 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

A RAV4 Prime is nice....but if you look past the battery plug in addition, it is just a very expensive entry level Toyota. For 43K big ones, you don’t even get the new torque vectoring awd. The interior is not even very high quality. It’s is good but more comparable to a Ford or GM. Also, once you have depleted the additional battery juice...you actually lose the 302hp performance...reverts to a regular hybrid. (I am pretty sure)

If it were RAV4 Prime over a NX hybrid, I could see the justification. A GLC is in a whole different category.

to me, GLC is bland and really boring on the exterior....interior is quite nice...but screen looks small.

I agree with SW...a RX is a far better choice
Old 12-27-20, 06:06 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Nobody is cross shopping a Rav 4 and a GLC lol. Reliability has nothing to do with it. Happy to go to the dealer a couple times a year to drive a much better car.

If I wanted a Toyota option I would get a nice RX, not a Rav 4.
Even the RX with its fwd underpinnings has nothing on the GLC. The GLC coupe in AMG trim is pretty can be well over 100k with options, to compare it with a disposable rav4 is just laughable.
Old 12-27-20, 06:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
A RAV4 Prime is nice....but if you look past the battery plug in addition, it is just a very expensive entry level Toyota. For 43K big ones, you don’t even get the new torque vectoring awd. The interior is not even very high quality. It’s is good but more comparable to a Ford or GM. Also, once you have depleted the additional battery juice...you actually lose the 302hp performance...reverts to a regular hybrid. (I am pretty sure)

If it were RAV4 Prime over a NX hybrid, I could see the justification. A GLC is in a whole different category.

to me, GLC is bland and really boring on the exterior....interior is quite nice...but screen looks small.

I agree with SW...a RX is a far better choice
Agree that they are kind of bland on the outside. Many Mercedes models are IMO, especially their SUVs. Screen is actually good size, what you're seeing is the fact that the CarPlay has 3 inch borders on either side.

I think BMW is making more attractive SUVs, X3, X5 and X7 compared to GLC, GLE and GLS.

Here's the full screen:

Originally Posted by Och
Even the RX with its fwd underpinnings has nothing on the GLC. The GLC coupe in AMG trim is pretty can be well over 100k with options, to compare it with a disposable rav4 is just laughable.
Totally agree, but at least its more comparable than a Rav 4 lol

Another cool thing, it had a built in dashcam. For some reason every time you come to a stop at a light, it displays the feed from the dashcam on the screen...which is exactly what I see outside the windshield lol

Last edited by SW17LS; 12-27-20 at 06:20 PM.
Old 12-27-20, 06:25 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Nobody is cross shopping a Rav 4 and a GLC lol. Reliability has nothing to do with it. Next you're going to say the guy with a Maserati should have bought an Avalon, ridiculous lol.

If I wanted a Toyota option I would get a nice RX, not a Rav 4. Happy to go to the dealer a couple times a year to drive a much better car.

if a Rav 4 was all I could afford or all I'd want to pay for I would get a Mazda CX-5 Signature.
easy big fella, a little defensive there!!!?? Please don't try to read my mind, I've stated what things are important to me, and I said to each their own.

A RAV4 Prime is nice....but if you look past the battery plug in addition, it is just a very expensive entry level Toyota. For 43K big ones, you don’t even get the new torque vectoring awd.
LOL, I have no idea what you mean with that statement Jill

Last edited by bagwell; 12-27-20 at 06:33 PM.
Old 12-27-20, 06:26 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Not defensive at all, I don't have a GLC. I just find the comparison absurd.

And the statement "have fun at the dealer" is equally absurd. Toyota is not the only company that makes a reliable car. Hell, you have two Nissans, cars that don't win any reliability awards somehow you survive.

Last edited by SW17LS; 12-27-20 at 06:29 PM.
Old 12-27-20, 06:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

This car had the MBTex interior which to my surprise I liked a lot.
Yes, that is a surprise. From what I remember of the M-B Tex (though it's been a few years since I test-drive one), the Lexus NuLuxe simply blows it away. No comparison.

My wife drove it, and to my utter amazement not only did she say she really liked it, but she said once the kids were older and we were done with the Pacifica maybe she would like one. She never makes any such comments about any car! I was like, where do I sign?!?
Ha.....don't overextend yourself. You just signed twice.....one of them BIG-time.

BTW, just an aside-note....if they had given you an A-Class or GLA loaner, you REALLY would have appreciated your S-Class.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-27-20 at 06:31 PM.
Old 12-27-20, 06:34 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes, that is a surprise. From what I remember of the M-B Tex (though it's been a few years since I test-drive one), the Lexus NuLuxe simply blows it away. No comparison.
They're different, the NuLuxe is smooth with no grain, the MB Tex has a pebbled grain to it. I remember really disliking the MBTex on older MBs but this was quite nice. If I were buying a family car, I think I would spec it...

Ha.....don't overextend yourself. You just signed twice.....one of them BIG-time.
Haha this is true.

BTW, just an aside-note....if they had given you an A-Class or GLA loaner, you REALLY would have appreciated your S-Class.
They gave me a choice LOL. They had a whole row of cars, there was a GLA, a couple A Classes and this GLC, so I wisely took the GLC.

I do agree those cars below the C Class and GLC do feel quite crummy inside.
Old 12-27-20, 06:49 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

I don't think there is a Lexus equivalent to the GLC. The only one comparable in size would be the NX, but that's more akin to the FWD GLA. The Germans know how to make a car for every niche within a niche.

The RAV4 Prime has absolutely nothing to do with the GLC and the only difference over a regular RAV4 is the powertrain. If someone wanted an electrified GLC, they would simply buy the EQC, which is a full BEV and in another league compared to the Prime.

Does MBUX not support wireless Carplay? Weird, considering it's MB's latest system.
Old 12-27-20, 06:56 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

No wireless CarPlay! I was very surprised.
Old 12-27-20, 06:58 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

easy big fella, a little defensive there!!!?? Please don't try to read my mind, I've stated what things are important to me, and I said to each their own.

A RAV4 prime is $47K and that is not even the loaded Limited version...it’s just XSE....that is a $19K mark up over the $26K base RAV4. But as you add these options...Toyota removes engine horsepower and adds batteries and electric motor...that same engine is in the 26K model but make 30 HP more....for 47K you also do not get the torque vectoring awd either. Just seems like a A LOT of money for a RAV4.

And you lose the 302hp combined power once you lose the plug in range of juice....it reverts to regular hybrid.

I do see the appeal of it...I just don’t see how it’s more appealing over a Mercedes.

Maybe the RAV4 Prime should be better compared to the GLB

Agree that they are kind of bland on the outside. Many Mercedes models are IMO, especially their SUVs. Screen is actually good size, what you're seeing is the fact that the CarPlay has 3 inch borders on either side.

I think BMW is making more attractive SUVs, X3, X5 and X7 compared to GLC, GLE and GLS.

Here's the full screen:

Totally agree, but at least its more comparable than a Rav 4 lol

Another cool thing, it had a built in dashcam. For some reason every time you come to a stop at a light, it displays the feed from the dashcam on the screen...which is exactly what I see outside the windshield lol
I have never found the MB, Audi or BMW all that appealing...I do like the Land Rover models in the similar price points.
Old 12-27-20, 07:20 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Not about the badge, .
Oh but it is. You expect a level of quality, performance and prestige at the price point of the brand level not to say a Toyota doesn’t deliver that for a similar price....but a 47K RAV4 is a little high...it’s not really the Toyota brand...more that it is the model. $47K is spent in better places in the Toyota line up. (Just my opinion​​​​​​)

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-27-20 at 07:28 PM.
Old 12-27-20, 08:02 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We sat in a GLC 43 AMG Coupe about a month ago while checking out the GLS and I was impressed. I was thinking it might be more similar to the A and B variants - definitely not the case though!

I've seen the RAV4 "Prime" marked up to $60K+; there are a lot of other options out there for around that price tag...
Old 12-27-20, 08:35 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 248 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by 92 SC400
I've seen the RAV4 "Prime" marked up to $60K+; there are a lot of other options out there for around that price tag...
they expect people to pay that? that's a major yikes
Old 12-27-20, 08:37 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

great post.

the rav4 is no doubt reliable, and the prime now gets the headlines because of 302hp combined when it can do it, and has great fuel economy of course, but like you say, it's still built on a corolla, has lousy rear seat room and is very cheap inside.

see above.

Quick Reply: Spent a couple days with a new Mercedes GLC300...