Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Spent a couple days with a new Mercedes GLC300...

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-20, 06:09 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Beater Genesis, I like the sound of that lol
Old 12-29-20, 06:23 AM
BMGS
Racer

Received 546 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by davyjordi
totally.

mercedes has that totally nuts 2l i4 amg 45 version of the cla-class that produces 382hp from the factory, so it's not like one is purchasing a 2l turbo that makes 200hp.

even the engine in my m35i makes 301hp stock out of a 2l i4, and mine is tuned with a jb4 unit, so it's making closer to 365hp. a 2l i4 today isn't the 2l i4 of yesterday with increasingly stringent emissions standards and engine displacement caps, it's in both the consumers' and the manufacturers' best interest to build high-performance variants, and even the more pedestrian variants aren't terrible by any means. i think the x2/x1 comes with a 228hp 2l i4 turbo base engine.
I only drive my GS200t 4cyl to the office once a week and after reading all the negativity towards it, I try to find something wrong with it each week but I just can't. There is plenty of low end torque with a touch of the pedal, it hits 80 before I know it, if i need to pass someone, it flies right by with a quick downshift, I can't hear or feel the engine and I can't remember the last time I had to fill it up. I do a have a good tune on it but I am definitely sold after driving V8s for so long.
Old 12-29-20, 06:25 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

There's nothing *wrong* with it, I just don't like how the engine feels or sounds. And you absolutely can hear and feel the engine in a GS. Its not an isolation chamber by any means. People like a 4cyl in a car like that because its cheap, yourself included.
Old 12-29-20, 06:53 AM
BMGS
Racer

Received 546 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
There's nothing *wrong* with it, I just don't like how the engine feels or sounds. And you absolutely can hear and feel the engine in a GS. Its not an isolation chamber by any means. People like a 4cyl in a car like that because its cheap, yourself included.
I guess I am deaf and numb lol. I am used to 500+ hp performance V8s (CTS-V, E63, SRT8) so maybe its just relative compared to what I am used to but I can't hear a thing and I love it.

Last edited by BMGS; 12-29-20 at 06:57 AM.
Old 12-29-20, 07:04 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Its relative to what you're used to. I can't hear a thing from my 460HP TTV8 either. I had a 4GS, with the 3.5L V6 and I've driven the GS200t. Engine sound and feel is not dramatically muted at all, in fact they have an intake sound generator that creates intake sound. The issue with the 200t is when you get up into the rev bands when you get on the throttle, it sounds and feels buzzy and coarse while the V6 gets smoother the higher you rev it.

This is a characteristic of every small 4 cyl I have ever driven, including the MB 4 cyl in this GLC300.

Last edited by SW17LS; 12-29-20 at 07:15 AM.
Old 12-29-20, 09:45 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

60+% of these cars are leased, Lexus included. More people don't care than do care. Thats one of the main reasons why I left Lexus, since I lease and clearly despite my thoughts each time that I may keep a car after the lease, I never do. So, I'm missing out on the tech, performance, style, improved quality of German cars by staying with Lexus and not benefiting from the main reason to have a Lexus, long term reliability. I don't even get a residual benefit in the lease because the Germans subsidize their leases, so literally if I was going to lease another LS I could lease a BMW 750 for the same payment. $250 more for an S Class. I just don't see a compelling reason not to go with the Germans.

Thats why Lexus needs to step up their game everywhere else and not just rely on their record for reliability to carry them. To 60% of the customers in the luxury space, including their own customers, long term resale and reliability doesn't mean much.

If you told me I had to keep the next car I got for 10 years, even 5 years no way I would have gotten what I got. I would have kept my Lexus.
Lease or buy it doesnt matter, residual value or how much it is worth after a few yrs matters. It affects your total lease amount or if you buy it matters when u trade in or sell. Sure its great that $250 means nothing to you, but my point is, residual value matters even in leasing. MB and BMW can certainly mitigate that with incentives

Last edited by situman; 12-29-20 at 09:48 AM.
Old 12-29-20, 09:47 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by situman
Lease or buy it doesnt matter, residual value or how much it is worth after a few yrs matters. It affects your total lease amount or if you buy it matters when u trade in or sell.
German carmakers (especially BMW) inflate their residuals to keep lease prices low, that’s why the actual resale value at the end of the lease doesn’t matter if you lease. That’s why BMWs are cheaper to lease than a Lexus even though the Lexus holds its value better.

Old 12-29-20, 09:51 AM
situman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I know you just got your Mercedes and just moved to the brand....you are obviously excited but have been back to the dealer 3X.....but let’s see what happens when your 3 years are up and what you get then..... I noticed the guy who has a Genesis on here came back to Lexus...so did another member who bought a KIA Stinger.....my brother ditched his Hyundai for a BMW (let’s see how that goes) and my sister went from Lexus to BMW but back to Toyota....my other brother bought the Palisade.
He does make a great point. There is really nothing compelling in the Lexus or even the Toyota lineup. My GX lease is up in another 6 months and I'm at a lost. I love the LX and its the only one I would get but its also a 90-100k vehicle.
Old 12-29-20, 09:56 AM
situman
Pole Position

German carmakers (especially BMW) inflate their residuals to keep lease prices low, that’s why the actual resale value at the end of the lease doesn’t matter if you lease. That’s why BMWs are cheaper to lease than a Lexus even though the Lexus holds its value better.
Thats just a back door incentive. That is one of the reasons why MB is in financial trouble. Prob the same with BMW, but to a lesser extent.
Old 12-29-20, 09:57 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Thats just a back door incentive. That is one of the reasons why MB is in financial trouble. Prob the same with BMW, but to a lesser extent.
That’s exactly what it is.

And who says Mercedes and BMW are in financial trouble? They've got modern financial crunches everybody is dealing with but they will be fine.

At the end of the day, if I’m going to turn cars every 3 years what I care about is the total cost of the lease, I don’t have to worry about resale value because that’s already factored into the cost of the lease.
Old 12-29-20, 10:09 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

He does make a great point. There is really nothing compelling in the Lexus or even the Toyota lineup. My GX lease is up in another 6 months and I'm at a lost. I love the LX and its the only one I would get but its also a 90-100k vehicle.
It will be interesting to see what you end up getting (or if you just buyout the GX you leased). My last GX was 2012 and I waited for a new one through 2018 and it never came so I went elsewhere. I’m still waiting for a new GX and I still like the LX but that is getting long in the tooth as well. My Durango SRT lease is up in 5 months and I’m not sure what to get either.
Old 12-29-20, 10:51 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah its tough, what do you get if the BOF nature of the GX is what you want?
Old 12-29-20, 11:19 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Personally opinion....I don't get why anyone would lease a GX....or any Lexus or Toyota for that matter

Thats just a back door incentive. That is one of the reasons why MB is in financial trouble.
I never knew MB is in financial trouble...would love to see the info on that.
Old 12-29-20, 11:28 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I never knew MB is in financial trouble...would love to see the info on that.
They aren't, they've had steep reductions in profit over the last year or so but to say they are in financial trouble isn't an accurate assessment.

https://www.ft.com/content/ee5a0886-...0-43d18ec715f5
Old 12-29-20, 12:44 PM
situman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by patgilm
It will be interesting to see what you end up getting (or if you just buyout the GX you leased). My last GX was 2012 and I waited for a new one through 2018 and it never came so I went elsewhere. I’m still waiting for a new GX and I still like the LX but that is getting long in the tooth as well. My Durango SRT lease is up in 5 months and I’m not sure what to get either.
Honestly, I was interested in seeing what the new Sienna had to offer. It offered a hybrid only 4cyl choice. They lost me.

Quick Reply: Spent a couple days with a new Mercedes GLC300...