Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Retro Write-Up: First-Generation Toyota Avalon.

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-20, 07:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

OK...I'm not a moderator, but it seems like we're getting way off of the thread-topic Avalon.
Old 12-28-20, 07:11 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 240 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Really what the LS was similar to in the Cadillac lineup was the Seville, not the Fleetwood. And in the Lincoln lineup, the Continental not the Town Car. Way more sophisticated than those cars too but they were similar in size. When my Dad bought each of those cars he cross shopped the LS400, and ultimately it was after he had both of those cars he upgraded to an LS400, he never considered the big BOF Cadillacs or Lincolns
while not so directly in size, in purpose i'd say the town car is actually much more comparable to the avalon of the day... just a big spacious couch with no real attempt at achieving that trivial quality a philistine might call 'handling'
Old 12-28-20, 07:11 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
OK...I'm not a moderator, but it seems like we're getting way off of the thread-topic Avalon.
i was thinking that too but i just brought it back lol
Old 12-28-20, 07:21 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

And, Och, while I respect the fact that some people (and pets) do get carsick, I fail to see how a softly-spring car alone can cause it. My and my CFI both spent a lot of hours in light aircraft bouncing in turbulence and occasionally pulling some G-forces, so I'm familiar wth motion sickness (my CFI was almost immune to it LOL). But, usually, it takes a lot of up-and-down motion to cause it (which effects the fluid in the inner-ear, causing the nausea sensation)...not just simply riding in a car with a marshmallow suspension. In fact, stiff suspensions are probably more likely to actually cause carsickness, as they generally produce more abrupt up/down motions.
Not so much the soft ride, but the way it keeps bouncing up and down, and the rate at which is bounces. There are studies on this, and optimal "natural frequencies" of suspension system to avoid motion sickness. The likes of Lexus and Mercedes considered this in their suspension designs, but US automakers at that time not so much. I am not an expert on this at all, but you might want to research it given your aviation past.

Also, give your aviation career, I assume you've done some "flying" on a flight simulator? Have you ever done flight simulation with VR goggles?
Old 12-28-20, 07:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stroock639
i was thinking that too but i just brought it back lol

i'd say the town car is actually much more comparable to the avalon of the day..

There, maybe we get into some apples and oranges. Though nominally a full-size sedan (stretched Camry) by the EPA standards of the time, the Avalon was significantly smaller than a Town Car, totally different in its layout (FWD/unibody vs. RWD/body-on-frame), much more tightly-built with a better level of QC, and better response to steering.
Old 12-28-20, 07:31 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

The main difference is that the Town Car had extremely long overhangs, particularly in the rear, which, along with low spring-rates (assuming you didn't have the optional air-suspension) added to the weight affecting the front-rear springs and the tendency for a soft bob-up/down effect. But I never found it anything like the levels it took me to get airsick.
The cars are just totally different. Different styles of construction, different size, different suspension design, just really different.

Remember everybody is different when it comes to getting motion sick. Some people never get motion sick in any scenario.

While I won't question your sister getting sick (obviously, you rode wth her, and heard her complain), in general, it would be quite unusual in that-vintage ES, because while the ES300 had a very comfortable ride, it wasn't particularly soft and bobby. The 60/65-series tires and 16" wheels were almost perfect for a comfortable combination of ride and handling in most normal driving.
Its a pretty boaty car...I drove mine 3 days ago.

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Yeah. My folks had a 96 with the updated interior. IMO some of the loveliest nuance letter seats ever and really nice Zebrano wood. Theirs was great from the interior.....but EVERYTHING went wrong mechanically and I felt so sorry for my parents.
That interior upgrade in 96 was huge, my Dad was really bummed when that came out right after he got his 95. You're right though, very nice leather and great wood, just overall not very well put together. Only mechanical issue we had was a failed AC Compressor, but it was a lease and was gone in 50k miles.
Old 12-28-20, 07:34 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

There, maybe we get into some apples and oranges. Though nominally a full-size sedan (stretched Camry) by the EPA standards of the time, the Avalon was significantly smaller than a Town Car, totally different in its layout (FWD/unibody vs. RWD/body-on-frame), much more tightly-built with a better level of QC, and better response to steering.
well way to conveniently not include the part of the quote where i addressed that... i said they're comparable in purpose
Old 12-28-20, 07:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stroock639
well way to conveniently not include the part of the quote where i addressed that... i said they're comparable in purpose

OK...sorry if I was being condescending. I did not mean for my comment to sound as such..or to be offensive. Sometimes we go on so many times about a vehicle that we can end up repeating ourselves needlessly.
Old 12-28-20, 07:53 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Th

That interior upgrade in 96 was huge, my Dad was really bummed when that came out right after he got his 95. You're right though, very nice leather and great wood, just overall not very well put together. Only mechanical issue we had was a failed AC Compressor, but it was a lease and was gone in 50k miles.
Not for my parents STS. It was pathetic out of warranty. Theirs had their rear truck fail so they had to tie it closed and it sat 1 inch up....and the transmission would not go to 40mph....and numerous problems. They saw our Toyota’s were lasting longer and then they finally got their first Toyota after that and NEVER looked back.

Sad for Cadillac, their effort of the RWD STS was a solid effort and so was their XLT 2-door of the convertible....if they stuck to those designs they probably would have a better perception in consumers eyes today. But their pathetic reliability and quality will never be forgiven to those that experienced such horror.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-28-20 at 08:02 PM.
Old 12-28-20, 07:57 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

OK...sorry if I was being condescending. I did not mean for my comment to sound as such..or to be offensive. Sometimes we go on so many times about a vehicle that we can end up repeating ourselves needlessly.
it wasn't condescending you just completely removed all context and changed the meaning of what i said lol
Old 12-28-20, 07:59 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Not for my parents STS. It was pathetic out of warranty. Theirs had their rear truck fail so they had to tie it closed and it sat 1 inch up....and the transmission would not go to 40mph....and numerous problems. They saw our Toyota’s were lasting longer and then they finally got their first Toyota after that and NEVER looked back.
Come to think of it his trunk jammed too....

Same with him, he got the LS400 after that and never looked back.
Old 12-28-20, 08:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Not so much the soft ride, but the way it keeps bouncing up and down, and the rate at which is bounces. There are studies on this, and optimal "natural frequencies" of suspension system to avoid motion sickness. The likes of Lexus and Mercedes considered this in their suspension designs, but US automakers at that time not so much. I am not an expert on this at all, but you might want to research it given your aviation past.

Also, give your aviation career, I assume you've done some "flying" on a flight simulator? Have you ever done flight simulation with VR goggles?
I've done time on a desktop simulator (we had one in my office), but not the big multi-million $$$$ simulators that the airlines and military use to check out their pilots. I don't think the VR goggles were in production when I was flying.
Old 12-28-20, 08:08 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Bringing it back to the Avalon....
Old 12-28-20, 08:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Bringing it back to the Avalon....

Like the 3Gen Camry, 4Gen Honda Accord, and 4Gen ES300/330, the 1Gen Avalon is a sedan that I could have afforded, and, looking back, almost wished I had bought. Toyota and Lexus simply don't produce vehicles like that any more....except for an always excellent paint job and drivetrain-durability today, the quality and solidness that went into those vehicles has been replaced, by much less-impressive materials today, thanks mostly to cost-cutting.
Old 12-28-20, 08:14 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Another vehicle you should have gotten!

Quick Reply: MM Retro Write-Up: First-Generation Toyota Avalon.