Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

First Impressions on My Dad's Genesis GV80

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-21, 10:21 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 249 Likes on 189 Posts

they're really going for a bentayga look with that grille and quilted leather lol... i look forward to seeing how this looks out and about in everyday traffic
Old 01-01-21, 08:48 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,659 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Yep, therein lies the problem.
Originally Posted by Trackruner
You're both right. The biggest issue for Genesis is they don't have stand alone dealers. My dad doesn't really care about that, but a lot of people do. I hope it's something they fix soon because their cars are worth it.
I'm with your Dad. Don't care. Local dealer will be picking up my Genesis for its final oil change on Tuesday. I've only been to the dealer once in 3 years and that was to take a look at a GV80 that was sold by the time I got there.

But yes, some people won't buy without the fancy dealership so Genesis will have to address over time. I suspect they'll end up with fancy 'show rooms' that aren't full dealerships (service done elsewhere). Concierge makes going to the dealer a thing of the past for most.

Anyway, congrats to your Dad! Awesome car.
Old 01-01-21, 08:50 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,659 Posts

About the speed bumps, that's my only big issue with the GV80... 22's only on Prestige and no air suspension option.
On a more minor note I don't like the giant full length chrome strip on the side rocker panels.
Old 01-02-21, 08:29 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,776 Likes on 1,983 Posts

I don’t think it’s that people won’t buy a Genesis once they have tried one and like it because of the dealership. I think the lack of quality dealerships keeps many people from every trying or looking at a Genesis seriously in the first place.

Im not going to say “I won’t buy this car I really like because this dealer is crummy”, but when I’m shopping for cars I don’t really want to deal with a crummy Hyundai dealer, does that keep me from going and driving one? Or does the experience put me out of the buying mood and taint my perception of the product? It might.

In any event they need good dealers, or differentiated space and staff within Hyundai dealers at the least, like Lincoln does. When you walk into a Ford/Lincoln dealer they have Lincoln specific space, and Lincoln specific staff and salespeople. When I went and drove Lincoln’s when I was looking the experience was MUCH better than trying to drive a Genesis. That picture of the GV80 on the Hyundai floor is a problem, at Lincoln that wouldn’t happen.

Some of this may also be that our local Hyundai dealers are Fitzgerald and quite poor.

Last edited by SW17LS; 01-02-21 at 08:35 AM.
Old 01-02-21, 08:32 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

I don’t think it’s that people won’t buy a Genesis once they have tried one and like it because of the dealership.t.
Savage Goose has got it right....people who buy $60K German cars will not covert...RX and RDX are cheaper and more efficient and easy to buy...dealers are a MUST
Old 01-02-21, 08:34 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Savage Goose has got it right....people who buy $60K German cars will not covert...RX and RDX are cheaper and more efficient and easy to buy...dealers are a MUST
I think that’s totally accurate
Old 01-02-21, 01:04 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Ha ha--$60K German cars are not going to compare to this car for content. You have to spend way more to get an equivalent German car. But the concept is correct--Genesis will get more customers looking at Explorers, RXs, MDXs, etc. Even some Pilots/Highlanders willing to spend a little more to get something much nicer. Great warranty too. People moving a class up won't yet be hooked on the lux dealer experience.
Old 01-02-21, 01:14 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Ha ha--$60K German cars are not going to compare to this car for content. You have to spend way more to get an equivalent German car. But the concept is correct--Genesis will get more customers looking at Explorers, RXs, MDXs, etc. Even some Pilots/Highlanders willing to spend a little more to get something much nicer. Great warranty too. People moving a class up won't yet be hooked on the lux dealer experience.
LOL. The Explorer buyers won’t go for a Genesis. You’d be supposed how many people do not want to owner a foreign brand. Lots of people love American metal.

RX and MDX are cheaper, more efficient, and most importantly very easy to purchase. Compared to the Germans, people who buy higher priced items don’t care that the Genesis offers a value.

Hyundai should be focused on converting current Hyundai buyers into Genesis buyers as they start to do better in life....

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-02-21 at 01:19 PM.
Old 01-02-21, 01:28 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can probably get some of the $60K German buyers to convert (me included), the $80K+ you will probably not. On most German brands, you're not getting nearly as much most of the tie. The dealership experience, however, needs to be equivalent - if not better.

As many here have probably experienced, there is a big difference in walking into a "luxury" dealer vs others a lot of times. It goes beyond just the aesthetics though, and until Genesis/Hyundai figures that part out, it may be difficult to seriously compete for that $60K+ buyer.

I know I would not want to shop for Lexus at a Toyota dealer and have that experience... That said, some of my recent Lexus dealership experiences haven't been great...

Last edited by 92 SC400; 01-02-21 at 01:56 PM.
Old 01-02-21, 02:56 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You certainly have some Explorer buyers who buy because its American, but not all. I think there are definitely Explorer buyers to be picked off there, especially those who are looking at the Platinum Explorer.
Old 01-02-21, 03:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

You certainly have some Explorer buyers who buy because its American, but not all. I think there are definitely Explorer buyers to be picked off there, especially those who are looking at the Platinum Explorer.
If you are refering to the GV80, it clearly competes (or will compete) more with the Aviator than Explorer.
Old 01-02-21, 03:12 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

I agree. I'm sure Hyundai/Genesis corporate knows what needs to been done to improve the dealership and buying experience and it's got to be frustrating that the current Genesis dealership network is all over the place. It will be interesting to see what happens and if the dealers and Genesis brand can work together better.
Old 01-02-21, 03:13 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Duplicate.
Old 01-02-21, 03:15 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
If you are refering to the GV80, it clearly competes (or will compete) more with the Aviator than Explorer.
I dont know if thats true, the GV80 starts at $48,500, which is $12,000 cheaper than a loaded Explorer. It can compete with both.
Old 01-02-21, 03:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

I dont know if thats true, the GV80 starts at $48,500, which is $12,000 cheaper than a loaded Explorer. It can compete with both.

Compare a loaded GV80 to a loaded Explorer, though. The GV80 is clearly an upmarket vehicle.

Quick Reply: First Impressions on My Dad's Genesis GV80